Started C25K and gaining weight?

Options
Strange phenomenon...

After using MFP to drop 26 pounds, I made the commitment to get in better shape. I used to run recreationally in college so targeting the C25K program was a no-brainer for me (loved to run). My family has a history of joint problems, so my long term goal when I started the weight loss was to get into a position where I could run again without ruining my knees/ankles in the process.

I'm beginning week 3 of the program and weighed myself this morning and was astonished to see I had gained 6 pounds since I started the running program. I'm a little flummoxed, since my clothes, if anything, are a little looser than when I started.

I've been maintaining the MFP target for a 0.5 lb/week reduction (calorie deficit) and eating back my calories for exercise days.

It seems too fast to be muscle mass gain, particularly from a run/walk interval program. Water weight maybe?

I'm staying the course right now, as ±5 lbs or so is no big deal to me, it's better that I'm working on my fitness. I'm passionately loving the C25K program, by the way. I'm jones'n to start more aggressive running but don't want to do too much too soon and injure myself. Have to keep reminding myself I'm not 19 anymore... :happy:

Replies

• Alexfit12
    Alexfit12 Posts: 54
    Options
    it's most likely water retention. If you haven't used your running muscles in a long time, you can see that sort of water gain. They're just holding on to water wants they're engaged. (And you can build muscle quite fast in the beginning, though 2 pounds is probably the most you can hope for).

No need to panic. If you haven't overeaten, there's no way you're not making progress, even if it's hidden for a while.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It's probably water retention as your muscles get used to the running. I typically gain about 5lbs when I start a new exercise program and then drop the 5lbs plus a few more once my body gets used to it.
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Your body has different ways of protecting itself. When you start a new workout, the muscles that are being used will want to protect themselves from the sudden change of activity so they do not get hurt. One of the biggest protections they will do is hold water. So just like Alexfit12 stated, it is water gain. Once the muscles adjust and realize this change isn't going to harm them they will not hold as much water and the weight will fall back off. Just make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Your body will also continue to hold water as long as it fears dehydration, so you must stay well hydrated so your body will stop holding excess water.
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I figured it was something along those lines. I'll just stay on course and keep drinking water.