Is there any good exercise I can do with a bad knee?

Options
Hello, I was wondering if there is any good exercise I can do that is easy on my knee but still burns calories?? I have a bad knee but i still want to be able to workout. I am new to all of this :blushing:.

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Swimming! And upper body strength training.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bicycling and swimming are some good ones.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Depending on how bad it is, there may be some lower body strength exercises that you can also do with a bad knee. Do some research on different exercises, and pay close attention to proper form. If the majority of the resistance is on other parts of the leg, the knees aren't as involved, and have less of an opportunity to be injured. Building up the muscles around them, can actually make them stronger and hurt less over the long run. My left knee was wrecked but after I learned about proper squat form and started working out, it quit hurting completely. Again though, it depends on how bad the knee actually is. Talk to a doctor, or physical therapist about ways to train around it. For just general exercise though, what Drop_It said is bang on. Good luck and be safe!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Not sure what your injury is, but when i hurt my knee a few years ago (torn meniscus) my physical therapist had me do the elliptical on low incline and was okay with me doing swimming. I will say, though, that very vigorous swimming did cause some discomfort in my knee.
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Swimming. I can't cycle at all with my bad knee, it really aggravates it. Also, upper body workout and things like pushups/pullups, abs.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Depending on how bad it is, there may be some lower body strength exercises that you can also do with a bad knee. Do some research on different exercises, and pay close attention to proper form. If the majority of the resistance is on other parts of the leg, the knees aren't as involved, and have less of an opportunity to be injured. Building up the muscles around them, can actually make them stronger and hurt less over the long run. My left knee was wrecked but after I learned about proper squat form and started working out, it quit hurting completely. Again though, it depends on how bad the knee actually is. Talk to a doctor, or physical therapist about ways to train around it. For just general exercise though, what Drop_It said is bang on. Good luck and be safe!
    This
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You might need to define bad knee. And even then it really just depends. I have a torn meniscus but doing an elliptical is torture for me. I started out just walking and now I'm running. I think the key is to find out from your doctor what is safe for you to do.
  • Mary1NYS
    Mary1NYS Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I ride a stationary recumbent bike due to a knee problem. It gets me heart rate up enough for a good workout and is strengthening the muscles of my legs. In 2 months the pain in my knee has gradually been declining and Im able to increase the resistance little by little. It feels like I am doing my own rehab.
  • kjacobs06
    kjacobs06 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A pool is good when you have injuries. It is the least amount of stress for your knee. Some places offer Water Aerobics classes
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

What he said! Talk to a PT.

What exactly is wrong with your knee? I had surgery for a torn meniscus a while ago, and my knee is as good as new now (I am just extra careful not to do stupid things that caused the injury in the first place). After surgery, the rehab was fairly straightforward and involved mostly strengthening the quads.

Some very simple low-risk things you can do: while sitting on a chair, extend both of your legs forward, and hold that position for 30 seconds. Or, while lying down on your back, raise one leg at a time, holding it straight as you do so.

Another no-impact exercise is xc skiing, or if your gym has a Nordic Track, it would be an okay substitute.
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Cycling. Find a spin class at your gym, its a great calorie burning workout. Depending on the instructor calories burned in an hour class can be 700.
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your injury is, but when i hurt my knee a few years ago (torn meniscus) my physical therapist had me do the elliptical on low incline and was okay with me doing swimming. I will say, though, that very vigorous swimming did cause some discomfort in my knee.

This. I blew out my right knee when I was younger, and now am having issues with my left knee as well, but my Trainer got me on the elliptical, building up my muscles and endurance in a low impact process. also, sitting leg extensions, to start building the muscles around your knee, to help take some of the pressure and impact - sit in a chair facing forward (by a wall to start, for help with balance) and bring one leg up fully extended, back down, then the other leg. work slow, and and before you know it, you'll really notice a difference. at least, I did! :)
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Depends on your type of injury and/or pre-existing condition. I have meniscus tears in one knee and ACL in the other. I find that swimming is amazing exercise for me and causes no additional pain. As well, I like the upper body, "workout in a chair" type exercises I find on Youtube.
  • trikke_erikka
    Options
    Biktram Yoga was designed for knee pain.
  • Smudjie
    Smudjie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like the swimming and I do like Aquafit as well. If you have a bad knee like i do, i just started some physio therapy and they are showing me some strengthening exercises. maybe your doctor could refer you to someone?
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis in my knees and had a 3rd degree sprain in my right knee that has never quite healed. I am able to do squats and lunges as long as I use proper form and I wear a knee brace on my right knee for added stability. My only suggestion is to strengthen the muscles in you quads and hamstrings to support your knee better.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Biktram Yoga was designed for knee pain.

That would be an extremely bad idea. The Bikram sequence includes several poses that, if done by a novice without proper supervision, can cause ACL tears or meniscal tears. Full lotus, Eagle, and even Trikonasana can cause or exacerbate knee injuries. I would not recommend that for the OP.
  • mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the type of injury, but anything low-impact that doesn't put a lot of pressure on the joint should be fine. I notice a lot of people are saying swimming, however my doctor advised me against using breaststroke with a bad (dislocation-prone) knee, so maybe bear that in mind.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Thirding the advice to see a Physical Therapist. it all depends on what exactly is wrong with your knee. There very likely are exercises/stretches you should be doing to help improve your knee. On top of that, they can advise you on what kind of activities are safe for you to do that won't cause further injury.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Agree w/previous posters recommending you see a physical therapist. Tell your doctor you'd like a referral to one. Let the therapist know that you are highly motivated & want exercises that will really make you work, but not aggravate your knee. Usually you could get what you need in just a single visit, then do the exercises at home.

To find a good physical therapist, make some calls to college coaches in your area and/or gyms (personal trainers), & ask them for recommendations. See if the same name pops up more than once. Also Google their name with the word "reviews." There's HUGE differences in good & bad PTs.