Running advice, please (weakness while running)

Options
Last year I completed C25K. When the time changed and the weather got colder I stopped running outside. I did run a few times on the dreadmill over the winter. Sunday was the first day I was able to run again outside. Of course I had/have all the typical aches and pains from beginning running again and had taken Monday and Tuesday off. Last night while playing kickball with our youth group, I had the strangest experience. The first time up, I ran all the bases (with normal stops in between) no problem. However, the second time up when running from third to home my thighs started feeling weak. I knew I was going to fall because it felt like my legs couldn't support me. Today I am very sore in my thighs and groin area with the weak feeling still there. I had planned on running again tonight to hopefully work out the soreness, but now I'm afraid. I don't want to stop running as I truly enjoy it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• Alexfit12
    Alexfit12 Posts: 54
    Options
    1. Take time to rest and start again (when the soreness is gone).

2. Did you eat enough to recover? I find that muscle soreness doesn't go away if you are doing low carb or not eating enough protein.

3. Magnesium. Lack of magnesium is usually the reason for soreness in my case. Drink one of those effervescent tablets just to be sure.
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    I probably hadn't eaten enough prior to playing last night. I think I still had 400+ calories left for the day.
    I hadn't thought of magnesium. I usually take it when I have bowel issues, but never thought of using it for this. I'll have to give it a try!
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You should just rest tonight and stretch in the morning. It will go away in a day or two. Running requires carbs. So like Alexfit12 mentioned, be mindful of what you're eating when you are participating in physical activity.
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    I am training for a 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles) and I discovered that I was experiencing the same thing. I push through my runs but afterwards I can't walk or drive.

If you eat carbs before a run, like a toasted bagel with cream cheese, you will see a difference in your legs. Much stronger and better able to carry on. Also, stretching before and after is important and you have to take rest day between long runs.

The groin I found is just the muscles building up. The rest day should help with that. Also make sure you are planting your feet neutral, hitting the ball of your foot first.

Hope this helps!
  • AprilThirty
    Options
    Well I can't give anything überly helpful bc I don't run yet (but that is my goal!)...I'm just wondering if you're eating enough to support the energy output? It almost sounds like your muscles are exhausted. Really hoping you find some answers. :)
  • chefbubba1303
    chefbubba1303 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Look at your diet for the nutrition and calories but also Iron levels...