Random Questions for ladies about clothing sizes

Options
Hi, women of MFP! (Or men who were just too curious to stay out of here)

This is probably a pretty silly question - but does anyone know if "juniors" clothing sizes and "womens" clothing sizes are different? Is a 10 in juniors and a 10 in womens the same? I tend to shop in both sections, depending on what I'm shopping for, and while my size varies no matter what because of the silly way clothes are made for women (I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about), it seems I'm in a much, much smaller size in womens clothing than I am in juniors clothing. They are sometimes the same, but usually I am about 2 sizes smaller in womens than juniors. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and can shed some insight on the inconsistency :)

Have a great day!

Replies

• DrBentonQuest
    Options
    I am a man, but I can answer your question.

Girls sizes are fit for younger girls. Junior sizes are marketed for teens and are usually styled to fit tighter around curves. They tend to run only in odd sizes between 1 and 15. Women's clothing [also called 'Misses' sizing] offer a clean, polished look that is not as tight-fitting as juniors.

A Junior size 15 may be about a Misses size 10 or 12.

Cheers.
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are different. Juniors are meant for teenagers technically. Women's are made for....well... women. haha. If I wear a Large in juniors, it's probably a small or medium in womens.

Edit! --- took from a webpage: Odd sizes are Junior sizes and even sizes are Misses. The difference between say a size 9 and a size 10 is that the odd sizes are slightly smaller in the hips (and often the chest) because they are designed for females who have not quite "filled out" yet (hence the term "juniors").
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Girls sizes are fit for younger girls. Junior sizes are marketed for teens and are usually styled to fit tighter around curves. They tend to run only in odd sizes between 1 and 15. Women's clothing [also called 'Misses' sizing] offer a clean, polished look that is not as tight-fitting as juniors.

Cheers.

I think this sums it up completely. Junior sizes also seem to be cut with a very low rise, whereas misses sizes seem to have more low rise and mid rise.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are different. Juniors are meant for teenagers technically. Women's are made for....well... women. haha. If I wear a Large in juniors, it's probably a small or medium in womens.

This. Also the cuts are different so they just fit differently.
  • Carolannb1986
    Options
    Yes they are very different, I recently went shopping with my 13 year old 5'4 sister and out of curiosity she tried on an age 12-13 which was a little shall we say "snug" around her shoulders and tummy, but then again shes got all that puppy fat as my mother would call it!!
    How ever in the adult section she fitted into a size 8 it made no sense to me what so ever and shop really do vary in sizes no shop sells the exact same size as all other's though i dont think id ever buy clothes for my self out of the teens section lol
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options

Cheers.

I'm very impressed! Great answer :drinker:
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Junkiors sizes run in odd numbers and womens in even. They are cut differently and that is why the fit differently. I am in that in between where I think I am to old for most of the juniors clothes but a lot of womens are to old for me lol! I wear a 2 in womens and a 3 sometimes a 5 depending how it is cut in the juniors.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I would add that brand name has an impact on fit as well.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Cheers.

^^^ Is correct. I wear a 15 junior's and a 10 in women's. Juniors are cut for straighter shapes, misses/women's for ladies with more curve. Generally, Juniors clothing are marketed to women under 25.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    in general women's sz 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 = juniors sz 7, 9,11,13,15 I tend to like the styling of the juniors more than women's in pants, so I know how MY body converts over. But it does depend on the style.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Juniors (odd sizes) are cut with smaller hips and bust - which would typically be for teenagers. Because of that, juniors also tend to be in styles that appeal to teens.

No matter the size, you may find one a better fit than the other because of your body type. My friend (a girl) with the body of a 13 year old boy still shops in the juniors section at age 30. My sister who was a 34DD by age 11, never did.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I have nothing more to add, everyone above knows their *kitten*
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    Thank you all for filling me with your knowledge :) Seriously, I had no idea just how different they were! Many thanks!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I always wondered this too. I got my boobs and butt so young, I don't remember ever shopping in the Junior's section :sad: I do remember getting frustrated about that as a teenager haha when the women's clothes at some department store my mom used to take me to were so 'old' looking to me.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    Yup, they definitely can be "old" looking! That's why I tend to shop in both sections! It all depends on the store and if I'm buying work clothes or fun clothes :)
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options

Cheers.
    ^^^^ agreed