Two pieces of fruit and I'm over my daily intake of sugar!

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working around a 1200 calerie type diet, however, I am finding that if I have both an apple and some dried mango in the same day, it takes me over my recommended amount of sugar. Obviously I know that the sugar in fruit is natural sugar, so it isn't the same as eating that amount fo sugar but from chocolate instead...

Do you think I should change my diet to reduce the sugar or just carry on as normal as it's fruit sugar?

Melissa :)

Replies

• rosehippy77
    rosehippy77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    BUMP
    I've been wondering the same, I was quite surprised that one banana and an alpro soya yogurt were enough to exceed sugar recommended for the day!
    I have just decided to ignore it as it's from fruit and yogurt in my case so it can't be that bad. I'd love to hear what someone else's thoughts are on this who knows more than me about it, I'm just new at all this!
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    SEARCH is your friend here. been covered multiple times in the last week .....with some good responses from some knowledgeable peeps ..
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    It's fine.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about natural sugars, it's the added refined sugars you need to keep to a minimum.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Ignore it Melissa, you are fine.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about natural sugars, it's the added refined sugars you need to keep to a minimum.

No. Unless your diabetic or have some other medical condition to do so just ignore your sugar.

Pay attention to overall carb and calorie intake.
  • ColleenDeBeasi
    ColleenDeBeasi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'd watch the dried mango though- it can be really easy to overeat dried fruits, and their sugars are more concentrated.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. So much so that I doubled my allotment, and still usually go over. Unless you have health issues that restrict you from sugar, don't worry about it in the slightest - as long as most of the sugar you get is healthy or natural sugar, then it doesn't matter in the slightest.
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113
    Options
    Ignore it. Just keep in mind that a serving of dried fruit is only 1/4 cup.
  • roaringtulips
    roaringtulips Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. If you eat the amount of fruits you NEED to eat every day, you're going to go over the "sugars" that MFP tracks no matter what. They don't calculate the difference between natural sugars and refined sugars. I go over the sugar limit every day, because I integrate the right amount of fruit every day, my blood sugar is great and I'm losing weight. If you're wondering how much fruit you should be eating, this is what the government recommends: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/fruits.html
  • jdatillo
    jdatillo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What about the sugar in greek yougurt? I eat the dannon oikos ff for breakfast and it has 20g of sugar. Wondering if i try switch to eggs if i will see a big difference in weight loss?
  • CarribeanBlueGirl
    CarribeanBlueGirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Agreed ignore it. And even it you were diabetic tons of doctors are reversing diabetes with a solely plant based diet (fruit, veggies, legumes and whole grains)
    unlike the American Diabetic Association's diet has never cured diabetes.
  • CarribeanBlueGirl
    CarribeanBlueGirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm really disappointed that MFP can't tell the difference between good sugars and good carbs (fruits & veggies) which we should be able to eat an endless supply of - except for the higher fat ones of course.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    What about the sugar in greek yougurt? I eat the dannon oikos ff for breakfast and it has 20g of sugar. Wondering if i try switch to eggs if i will see a big difference in weight loss?
    That is added refined sugar, this is the kind that is best to limit but I wouldn't worry about it unless you are eating a bunch of other things with added sugar. For the most part it is still calories in and calories out(for weight loss, not overall health) so unless added sugars cause you more cravings(which it seems to do for me) then keep eating your yogurt.

Edit
    It is probably only adde refined sugar if it is a flavored yogurt, milk has naturally occuring sugar.
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    Wouldn't worry about it. Fruits are GOOD SUGAR that your body needs to convert to energy so you can workout and do things.

Now, if you are adding sugar or eating processed foods with sugar, THAT is what is BAD.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My understand of sugar and where it can cause problems is when it triggers an insulin response. Doing that too often is what tends to lead to diabetes. But, if the amount of sugar you eat is not enough to cause an insulin spike, then don't worry. Foods that are low-glycemic, like most berries, are just fine. Some natural foods do have enough sugar in them to trigger and insulin response, so you may have to do your research. I track my sugar here, but only to add up the sugar I get from sources that are not low-glycemic. Even then, it's still very hard to stay under.

When it comes to yougurt, send the company an email and ask where those 20 grams of sugar are coming from. I did this with Chobani and they sent me a very detailed response. If 15 are from fruit and 5 are from lactose, that is all low-glycemic and shouldn't trigger much of an insulin response (therefore, no sugar crash). What I do with my yougurt is mix in 1/4 or 1/2 cup rolled oats. I feel like this keeps me fuller until lunch.
  • billdes21
    Options
    I love me some fruit, only way im able to eat healthly! LOL
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'm really disappointed that MFP can't tell the difference between good sugars and good carbs (fruits & veggies) which we should be able to eat an endless supply of - except for the higher fat ones of course.

Absolutely, fat bad.

Er, hold on, fat bad why?
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Agreed ignore it. And even it you were diabetic tons of doctors are reversing diabetes with a solely plant based diet (fruit, veggies, legumes and whole grains) unlike the American Diabetic Association's diet has never cured diabetes.

And even if you were diabetic you'd know you can't reverse or cured it. Some people can get Type 2 go in remission temporary by eating less carbs, which is done by... eating less carbs, and has zero to do with sugar.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sugar... seriously the daily allowance on sugars is so low even a diabetic couldn't stick to it.