I don't know I just don't know ....

Options
I don't know what my issue is .... I do good all day sticking too my meal plans but once night time comes around 7-8pm I wanna snack on junk!!! I'm a stay at home mom so I'm home alot you would think I'd want to snack all day but I don't I get the urge to binge at night around the same time! If I'd control this I guarentee I'd loose faster & stop being stuck at the same weight for the past 3 weeks.

Replies

• sblades
    sblades Posts: 75
    Options
    try fruit or dessert flavoured herbal tea with a bit of milk, plain popcorn, or lots of ice water.
    A poor subsitute for junk I know, but anything to occupy your mouth without the calories and of chips, chocolate, etc will help.
    Are you getting enough healthy fat in the day time? You might be craving garbage at night because you haven't taken in enough protein or healthy fat in the day.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't eating enough during the day. You should breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and dine like a Pauper. When we're on a diet, it's tempting to scrimp all day to eat as few calories as possible, but it often backfires with nighttime grazing and binging.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't know what my issue is .... I do good all day sticking too my meal plans but once night time comes around 7-8pm I wanna snack on junk!!! I'm a stay at home mom so I'm home alot you would think I'd want to snack all day but I don't I get the urge to binge at night around the same time! If I'd control this I guarentee I'd loose faster & stop being stuck at the same weight for the past 3 weeks.

I LOVE your ticker, BTW! I have found that the only thing that helps me control my cravings is to eat lots of lean protein, good fats (nuts, olive, avocado-watch portions), and avoid fake sugars. Any time I have diet soda, sugar free pudding, Crystal Light, etc, I feel like I would sell my mother for something to eat.
  • sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    Options
    My trick is I like to brush and floss after I have finshed eating my calories for the day.
  • snoopypet
    snoopypet Posts: 6
    Options
    I'd say find something to do with your hands like needlepoint, knitting, jigsaw puzzle, brainless computer games, etc and drink a glass of water or tea (chamomile tea will help you relax and fall asleep easier) while you're doing it. Looks like you just need to get through a few more hours. Good Luck.
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    if you have a decent blender, I enjoy frozen lemonade made with crystal light. Actually about to do that right now!
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    I agree 100% with all the posters. My Mom taught me the same thing about breakfast eating like a king, etc.

Also, to JBWegner: I'm glad I'm not your Mom! LOL!:laugh: I say that in jest, of course, but I know exactly what you mean!!

I do the same thing after all my points are journaled.. I drink 4 glasses more of water, then I brush and floss. It really makes you think twice about eating something else and then doing your teeth all over again!! Can you save some of your protein for later on? How about the 100 calorie pack of something that you set aside strictly for the end of your day? Just some thoughts.

See, we are all here to help you! Good Luck:drinker:
  • microtanya
    microtanya Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My trick is I like to brush and floss after I have finshed eating my calories for the day.

I agree, that's the best trick ever!
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    try fruit or dessert flavoured herbal tea with a bit of milk, plain popcorn, or lots of ice water.
    A poor subsitute for junk I know, but anything to occupy your mouth without the calories and of chips, chocolate, etc will help.
    Are you getting enough healthy fat in the day time? You might be craving garbage at night because you haven't taken in enough protein or healthy fat in the day.

Totally agree with the healthy fat idea! I used to be STARVING by the time I got home for dinner, and then my friend pointed out that my oh-so-healthy lunch of veggies and low-fat cottage cheese had about 4 grams of fat in it...for an entire meal! Grab and apple and a tablespoon of organic peanut butter, or slice up an avacado to put on your sandwhich at lunch. I noticed a huge difference when I made myself eat some sort of healthy fat (usually nut) during lunch or afternoon snack.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing - now I try to eat a bigger dinner - then I am FULL! Also I do not usually like tea but the Good Earth Original Decaf Sweet & Spicy tea tasts like liquid gingersnaps. Very strong so it helps me - maybe you too!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    if you have a decent blender, I enjoy frozen lemonade made with crystal light. Actually about to do that right now!
    That sounds awesome! I've got some cherry limeade I can try that with!
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Keep your mind and hands busy. Try a hobby or read a book. Works for me. Maybe drink more water
    It's okay to have a snack in the evening but only in moderation. Don't buy anymore chips. Have you tried the skinny cow icecreams? Maybe try an yogart bar to curb the carbo cravings.
  • ebh1024
    ebh1024 Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this too! I am stay at home mom too and find myself wanting to eat. I'm glad you posted this topic. Reading everyone's post is great! I actually went for a walk tonight and it was great...so no snacking. I tend to snack in the early evening and that is not good either. Sometimes being at home with kids makes you want to eat...and not the good stuff!!!! Seems my 3 kids are always eating (especially home in summer) so I tend to snack. But, I've committed that I'm back on track and am going to be aware of everything I'm eating. Every calorie does count!

Good luck!!!
  • Sara1478
    Sara1478 Posts: 21
    Options
    I had the worst problem with this. The best solution I found that helped was to not bring the foods that I love to snack on into the house. If it is there, most likely it will end up in my mouth. For the husband and kids, I buy the snack foods that they like, but I do not. They've asked me to get the things that we all like. It took awhile to get it across to them what I was doing. Now they understand and are satisfied with what they have.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    What are you doing when you find yourself wanting to snack, watching TV, or? Some activities tend to lead to snacking because we're paying less attention to what and how much we're eating and doing something else distracting. If it's watching evening TV that's the binging/snacking time perhaps it's time to plan some workout time then, sit outside, take a nice evening walk. Switching up your habit might help in the evening. Planning a healthy snack and eating it at the same time each evening might help solve the issue. That way you know you'll have some ice tea and a single pack low fat popcorn to enjoy then. Apples and peanut butter etc.

Planning ahead seems to help me get out of those sort of ruts, when I find myself craving I realize I didn't have a plan in place.

Good luck:drinker:
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • teenuhbees
    teenuhbees Posts: 13
    Options
    sometimes a few spoonfuls of peanut butter helps. it takes forever to eat if you enjoy the peanut butter! it's weird yes, but the fat in it is good for you and fills you up!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I use to have the same problem....after I had worked all day it was time for me to relax right after i put the kids to bed, I would want something all to my self, after all I deserved it. Then I realized I deserved to not cheat on myself. I did work hard all day, and i bust my butt to loose this weight to trash it now! not anymore. Ok so after all that blabbering what I'm getting at is, you have to change the way you think, once you do that it'll be easier to break the habit. :D hope it helps
  • suckitup
    suckitup Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I am a teacher so I'm a "summer" stay-home mom. I was much more rigid with myself at work. I tend to randomly pass through the kitchen throughout the day, but less at night. Once I've logged everything for the day, I don't want to blow that or have to account for more later. During school, I was planning out the night before and that saved me many a time from staff meetings or surprise birthday cupcake deliveries! I still have something sweet after dinner, but it is usually a Skinnycow truffle bar.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. However, my snack time hits at 2am when I am making my fiance's breakfast and lunch for the day. I find myself bagging up his lunch items and sneaking little bits and pieces. And then I forget to log them. I finally learned to stop drinking a cup of coffee with him in the morning, as I couldn't fall back asleep. Now, I am really trying to make an effort to not pick bits and pieces and just drink some juice (if I want something sweet), or half a piece of plain toast, or drink half a bottle of water. So far, so good. Another problem I have too is even if I try to occupy my mind with computer games or reading, I still want to snack on chips, etc. My trick right now is water...granted I wake up quite quickly because I have to pee, but at least I'm controlling the munchies.
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am in agreement with the previous posters but... I have 2 questions.

Are you even hungry when you snack at night? If so, you should eat using any of the above suggestions.

If not, what are you feeling that is making you want to snack? Habit, exhaustion, lonliness, or needing something just for you. Maybe journaling before you eat will help.

You have a whole community of support. I wish you much success. :flowerforyou: