GARLIC BREAD!

Options
I'm craving garlic bread, which is happening A LOT lately. Does anyone know of a healthy alternative? It's not just the garlic flavor I want, it's the buttery garlic flavor and Texas toast. Also, is there something that could be triggering this craving?

Replies

• KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Just have a piece of garlic toast it doesn't bite back
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    I did! On Sunday, now I want one AGAIN!
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was thinking you could use olive oil instead of butter, so I Googled "olive oil garlic bread." Several yummy-looking recipes popped up. Now I want some too!
  • leenie96
    leenie96 Posts: 65
    Options
    What about pita bread brushed with olive oil and chopped garlic?
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil and make it at home. I think the key is to use garlic powder instead of or in addition to fresh garlic. I think this is going to have to be one of those things you continue to eat, but enjoy in moderation.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    It's so hard to have just one piece and I get this craving more than once/wk. I do like olive oil, but not on my garlic bread. I prefer that buttery taste. I'm thinking of maybe trying it on flatbread.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    What about pita bread brushed with olive oil and chopped garlic?

That might work! I still might use a little butter though!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Well, use a little butter then! As long as you are tracking it and not going overboard, I don't see a problem with having a little when you are craving it. Just account for it in your daily calories.
  • abadmum
    abadmum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Make it with butter if you are concerned about the calories.

Below is a list of oils and how many calories are in 1 tbsp of each.. and at the bottom is butter..
    All the oils are about the same 120ish.. while the butter is only 102.. thats 20 calories saved!.. And I'm sorry but garlic bread just isnt garlic bread unless it's made with butter and lots of garlic!

Almond oil - 120
    Avocado oil - 124
    Canola oil- 120
    Coconut oil - 117
    Corn oil - 120
    Cottonseed oil - 119
    Extra virgin olive oil - 120
    Flaxseed oil - 120
    Grapeseed oil - 120
    Hemp seed oil - 126
    Macadamia nut oil - 120
    Olive oil - 119
    Palm oil - 120
    Palm kernel oil -116
    Peanut oil - 119
    Safflower oil - 120
    Sesame oil - 120
    Soybean oil - 120
    Sunflower oil - 120
    Vegetable oil - 124
    Walnut oil - 120
    Wheatgerm oil - 120

Butter - 102
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    And I'm sorry but garlic bread just isnt garlic bread unless it's made with butter and lots of garlic!

THIS!
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    The problem is I crave it all the time. I could eat it every single day and still probably crave it. I'm wondering if there's a reason why I crave it, or some kind of trigger that makes me want it so badly.
  • abadmum
    abadmum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The problem is I crave it all the time. I could eat it every single day and still probably crave it. I'm wondering if there's a reason why I crave it, or some kind of trigger that makes me want it so badly.

I'm a firm believer that we crave a food because we are lacking in a particular nutriant at that particular time..
    I crave milk sometimes- lacking calcium
    or something savoury like crisps - lacking sodium (i don't tend to add it to my food)
    crave bananas - lacking potassium

Perhaps you are lacking ummmmm not sure... well garlic reduces colesterol.. perhaps yours is up? or the butter is calcium? or the bread part is carbs?

I'll have to work on my theory huh?! ::bigsmile:
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I think garlic is high in a particular vitamin but you say it's the butteryness you crave, are you getting enough fats?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Make it with butter if you are concerned about the calories.

Below is a list of oils and how many calories are in 1 tbsp of each.. and at the bottom is butter..
    All the oils are about the same 120ish.. while the butter is only 102.. thats 20 calories saved!.. And I'm sorry but garlic bread just isnt garlic bread unless it's made with butter and lots of garlic!

Almond oil - 120
    Avocado oil - 124
    Canola oil- 120
    Coconut oil - 117
    Corn oil - 120
    Cottonseed oil - 119
    Extra virgin olive oil - 120
    Flaxseed oil - 120
    Grapeseed oil - 120
    Hemp seed oil - 126
    Macadamia nut oil - 120
    Olive oil - 119
    Palm oil - 120
    Palm kernel oil -116
    Peanut oil - 119
    Safflower oil - 120
    Sesame oil - 120
    Soybean oil - 120
    Sunflower oil - 120
    Vegetable oil - 124
    Walnut oil - 120
    Wheatgerm oil - 120

Butter - 102
    Butter for the win. It has 102 calories because of the milk solids in butter. It will fluctuate a bit depending on the brand, some have less milk solids than others.