? about bikes

Options
1- How tall are you?
2- What size is your bike?

My BF found me a 24in bike on craigslist.com
I just tried it tonight and it is way too high for me. I'm just under 5 feet tall. So I used my step son's bike thats a young adult size. I have no idea how many inches that would be.

Is there a way of knowing what size to buy depending on your hight. Sorry, I'm not very bike savvy. :blushing:

Replies

• hummingbird314
    hummingbird314 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 4 ft 10 in and I use a small frame woman's bike. I'm not sure of the size but I went to a bike shop and they measured me and recommended the size. I don't know where to look on the bike to find the size.
    It was really hard to find a bike to fit me so I had to order it from the bike shop. I really didn't want a kids bike.
    Teresa
  • jadelica
    jadelica Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't know in inches, but I can tell you what it should feel like when you have the right height bike. When you have your foot on the pedal and it is all the way down (close to the ground) your knee should be slightly bent, basically right before your knee would lock. That means your seat is the right height. For the bike to be the right height, you should be able to sit on your bike and have the tips of your toes touch the ground (like you're standing on your toes). Don't expect your feet to be flat on the ground.

Hope that helps.
  • Smithrx
    Smithrx Posts: 3
    Options
    There are websites with sizing guides like this one: http://www.thebicycleoutlet.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=37.

If you really want to be sure you should visit your local bike shop. I bought a bike online and got extremely lucky that it fit. After buying it I had my local shop get everything set up for me and luckily mine worked. A good shop will have you try a few different bikes and ask questions about your needs. What kind of bike; touring, mountain, racing, etc, is just as important as correct fit.

Above all, if you are just getting into riding, take it easy and ride regularly. Enjoy!
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. :flowerforyou: