Sticking to my 1200 calorie diet

Options
Hello,

I had a wake up call earlier this week when I looked at a few recent photos and recognized the impact of gaining nearly 25 pounds in 4 years. i'm on a mission to lose that and more now. I've challenged myself to work out 5 days a week and stick with my 1200 calorie target.

I've managed so far by tracking diligently and making sure I'm just under my goal. It's been easier on days that I've worked out. But I took today off and found myself struggling and a little hungry at the end of my day. Also discovered that I end up exceeding my sugar quota every day - because I end up eating fruits like oranges, bananas, kiwis... Any tips on how I can fill my stomach and still not exceed my sugar quota? I'm lacto-vegetarian and my main sources of protein are dairy and lentils.

Appreciate any advice/support I can get. Day 3 and I've stuck with my calorie goal. Fingers crossed I'll find a way to meet my nutrition goals soon too.

Thanks,
YG

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on deciding to do this!

The way that MFP does math, 1200 is the ground floor. It will not let you go any lower than that.

For instance, if you burn 1800 calories a day and you say that you want to lose 2 pounds a week - - that would normally be a 1,000 calorie per day deficit. But MFP will not recommend less than 1200 calories. This means that 1200 might not be the best figure for you if you're trying to lose weight. You may be less likely to succeed if you eat too little for too long.

1200 calorie diets are the scourge of the site and result in a lot of people making it harder than it needs to be, deciding that it's too hard and weight loss is impossible, and giving up. Please have a look at this thread on how to calculate a reasonable, sustainable deficit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • nycgirlie87
    Options
    Hi Yaming

I too am sticking to 1200 and it works for me. I eat homemade chia bars (has lots of chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut, rolled oats, dates/prunes and almond butter) in the morning and I swear by it. It keeps me full and gives me a lot of energy I need to get through the work day. Lunch time is where I get my big meal in so I make sure i switch it up so its something I look forward to. After work I put in a lot of time at the gym to where I get out at 8pm. By then, I only take in a meal replacement shake. I don't eat anything after 8:30pm.

Looks like we have similar goals! I'll add you for support :)
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Like Burt said 1200 cals is only making things harder than they need to be.

Do yourself a favor and try to learn something about nutrition.

I eat 2500/day and when you take the 70lbs I've lost in the 54 weeks i've been on MFP you get about 1.25lbs/week lost, eating 2500 cals.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother tracking sugar unless you have a medical reason to. The only thing I'd track is overall cals, fats and protein. Anything else just over complicates things for most people.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I def wouldn't bother with tracking sugar especially if the sugar you are getting is from fruits (unless there is a medical need).

I also recommend the post Burt referenced. There is no need in setting your calorie goal that low especially if you can get the same results with eating a little more and the results will be more sustainable. You said you are working out you should also be eating more so that you can fuel your workouts.
  • yaminig
    yaminig Posts: 2
    Options
    OMG! Seriously overwhelmed by the support on this community!

Thanks Burt, for that post. Reading that thread and a few more threads on the site have convinced me I need to up my calorie intake to about 1500.

Any resources for the kinds of foods vegetarians should eat to stay within nutrition and calorie goals?
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Any resources for the kinds of foods vegetarians should eat to stay within nutrition and calorie goals?

vegetables
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    1,200 was absolutely easy for me. But like others have said: why eat 1,200 if you can eat more and have the same results (maybe even better?). Hope you have some great success with 1,500 cals!!
  • tjbama09
    tjbama09 Posts: 15
    Options
    Oh thanks, I've been trying desperately to figure out how to lower the sugar. It is over every day, fat,calories, sodium, carbs and proteins are all good, just the sugar. Cool I will not worry quite so much about it then.
  • dthibode
    dthibode Posts: 1
    Options
    Celery and raw fennel work for me as a fruit substitute. It is cold and crunchy like a fruit but does not have as much sugar.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I wouldn't bother tracking sugar unless you have a medical reason to. The only thing I'd track is overall cals, fats and protein. Anything else just over complicates things for most people.

Agreed
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options

First, I am not vegetarian (love meat) but I do sometimes a fast (for religious reasons) that restricts meat. I eat alot of beans and nuts. I don't care for tofu but I know a lot of people eat it. Oatmeal (although I don't really care for it) for breakfast. I do eat mass quantities of vegetables. Do a search on the forums and I am sure you will find alot of vegetarian options and help.