Protein

Options
I am consistently getting more protein then my recommended daily intake here at MFP. I drink a protein shake after each workout in which I am getting 18g of protein from just that. I know protein is a good thing but can too much be bad? I'm done chowin' for the day and I'm 39g over. Yesterday I was 31g over.

Replies

• rad007
    rad007 Posts: 26
    Options
    Don't fear the protein, fun fact: 1 gram of protein can burn up to 30 calories. Excess protein can be beguiling because you will likely gain weight through lean muscle. 30g-40g shouldn't hurt anything.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think that's a bad thing. My doctor and dietitian recommended that I get at least 65g of protein, and at least for me, MFP recommends 50g of protein per day. So I really doubt your being that much over is a problem, especially since when you work out it's important to get a good amount of protein in your system.
  • sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    Options
    My doctor advised me to get 90 grams of protein. You can change the settings on your MFP.
  • rad007
    rad007 Posts: 26
    Options
    By the way love the Supergirl/woman ticker....also 2 more things Devic's Disease is often treated with prednisone an oral steroid or sometimes (azathioprine )...well protein is the most natural steroid type substance there is. That along with creatine to process it. In addition you wanted to be in tip top shape protein is normally the diet portion's answer...just add exercise.
  • SarahEllis28
    Options
    Thank you all!

@ rad - Superwoman best depicts me and all the crap I deal with on the daily so she's my ticker chick. Curious, how do you know about Devic's and it's treatments? It's quite rare, so it's nice to hear someone speak about it in familiarity instead of "What's that?".

I'm currently on no meds for it so I need all the natural nutrition I can get.
  • GrammaPower
    GrammaPower Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sarah - I took a look at your meal diary for today. You might want to consider upping your intake of complex carbs and some good fats. You are certainly under on your daily calorie count and have mainly PROTEIN as your intake. Might want to consider some fruit, whole wheat pasta, walnuts, almonds and hold off on eating a hardboiled egg (only) along with your protein shake. Long term excess protein intake (think Adkins' - like diets) and few carbs can be tough on the human kidney. But like the others have posted - Protein is a GOOD thing and a lot of us have a hard time getting enough in!
  • SarahEllis28
    Options
    I agree Deb! The only reason I don't have more fruits listed is because I'm all out. LOL! Farmer's Market tomorrow so I'll stock up. Also, I charted a sandwich and no carbs popped up for that. Weird.