nothing works frustrating and disappointed

Options
I've have tried low cals 1200, usual beginner method to no avail started swimming and have been doing that weekly now for over a month I got to zumba classes every Monday although they have been cancelled the last two Weeks and trying out gym sessions on a Friday for cardio and weights. I've completely changed my diet and I think I'm doing fairly well lots of fruit and veg I've adjusted my fat cab and protein amounts (although I rarely manage to hit my protein requirement) to suit my lbm etc. I've increased my diet to almost my tdee which made me gain I'm now trying to eat at tdee minus 20 but its still the same weight same m measurement and possibly even an increased bf% I do not understand...any ideas really feeling down about I

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    1) Are you weighing out your food?

2) How long have you been eating at TDEE - 20%
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    According to your profile you're 11 stone (154 Ib)and 5feet seven that is around a norm weight range for someone as tall as you so I would worry less about weight loss and more on fitness.
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Admittedly I'm not using scales every time I have a small handful worth of fruit, can estimate cereal and rice etc based on previous weighing but the rest I don't weigh gonna get myself some measurement cups to use properly. I have been eating around 1600 for a few Weeks now - it is never exactly that number every day sometimes up and sometimes down. I look at other peoples diaries and think I have a fairly balanceddiet I'm just stuck
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

These groups should help. There is another that is something called a Road Map to Success. I couldn't find it.
    Good luck wish the best for you.
  • beckymlong
    Options
    According to your profile you're 11 stone (154 Ib)and 5feet seven that is around a norm weight range for someone as tall as you so I would worry less about weight loss and more on fitness.
    Yeah that's kinda what I'm after really got a little podge that needs to go I'm not worried about the weight rather my figure and my body fat% which is too high! I thought eating better and exercise would help that
  • beckymlong
    Options
    I have checked out the road map used that for my high amounts will check the others out thanks
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Admittedly I'm not using scales every time I have a small handful worth of fruit, can estimate cereal and rice etc based on previous weighing but the rest I don't weigh gonna get myself some measurement cups to use properly. I have been eating around 1600 for a few Weeks now - it is never exactly that number every day sometimes up and sometimes down. I look at other peoples diaries and think I have a fairly balanceddiet I'm just stuck

That's probably your problem. Start weighing all of your food and measuring free-pouring liquids.

When I got down into a healthy weight range for my height and just wanted to lose the last 10 lbs I really had to tighten up on logging accuracy. I thought I was "stuck" around 145 lbs, but it turns out I just suck at estimating.
  • beckymlong
    Options
    Ok thanks I'll try that fingers crossed
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm sending you a message with a few suggestions. I hope they help!

~Andrea
  • Stoli24
    Stoli24 Posts: 14
    Options

It was mentioned above but, yes, definitely weight out your food. There are a few videos floating around that show that even with measuring cups, you are likely not accurately weighing the food you are eating. Digital food scales can be found online for $9-10 and will allow you (within 0.1 grams) accurately measure every last thing you are eating. Good luck!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Yes - weigh, measure, and count everything if you want the results. The most common cause of no progress is under-estimating how many calories you're eating.

Also, if you don't have much muscle mass, you have to be patient and give your workouts time to build muscle. Some of us have to build muscle before we can lose fat.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting? Sounds like you're getting lots of cardio but at this point you should be worrying about toning. I would try concentrating on more strength exercises. Good luck!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Accurate logging.

Eat the same amount of food every day if you are truly doing TDEE minus a percentage, as T stands for Total and includes exercise calories.

Cut back (don't eliminate) cardio.

Focus more on strength training, and lift heavier weights than the little pink 1.5lbs or whatever they are.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    You don't have a lot to lose and at this stage it can be harder to lose than if you were 15 lbs heavier. Try lifting weights and some HIIT workouts...I haven't seen a lot of weight loss per say but my body has changed for the better. All the fat hanging off of my arms and tummy are melting away.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree withe the others, you should try weighing your food and also getting accurate calorie counts as some of the MFP counts are WAY off.

I also noted that some of the add backs from exercise might be high.

Even if you're just a bit off this could cause you to stall.
  • SaveFileCorrupt
    SaveFileCorrupt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You don't have a lot to lose and at this stage it can be harder to lose than if you were 15 lbs heavier. Try lifting weights and some HIIT workouts...I haven't seen a lot of weight loss per say but my body has changed for the better. All the fat hanging off of my arms and tummy are melting away.

This is a good way to go, eating at and under maintenance while incorporating more strength/HIIT sessions will do wonders for a recomposition effect. You may not see the scale change thanks to the addition of lean muscle, but the mirror improvements will keep you going.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, if you aren't weighing your food and accurately measuring your food, and you're overestimating calorie burn, you're going to gain or maintain.

You're likely eating closer to 2000 calories a day. And you're probably burning 2/3 of the calories you think. MFP isn't always accurate with calorie burns, and I see LOTS of overestimations. Cut the calorie burn by a third.
  • kelly_lake
    kelly_lake Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty similar height/weight to you, and have barely lost any weight, a few pounds here and there but bouncing within a 5lb range, but my body shape has changed dramatically. I've lost nearly two inches from my waist, and gone from a 14 to a 10/12, plus buckets more energy. I would recommend reading The New Rules of Lifting, which I found really informative. It debunks a lot of misconceptions about weight v fat loss.
  • beckymlong
    Options
    This is great thanks I will be improving the kitchen with a setof new electronic scales and a George Foreman grill. I've been using light weights that are 2 and a half kgs doing a range of movements and using all the machines at the gym as heavy as I can which usually isn't very heavy. I agree with a previous post I do need to build more muscle btu think I need to look into the correct weight training regime maybe I think its called strong lift 5x5 or something. Thanks folks could someone check out my diary and let me know if I'm doing anything seriously wrong, will start working on the logging accuracy
  • beckymlong
    Options
    On the upside my skin is better and my nails are strong ha ha