Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)

Options
In researching this supplement it seems like it has had mostly positive results in both human trial and and mouse models. It seems to help metabolize fat and promote lean tissue if taken consistently for many months. There are some possible consequences; probably not a good idea for someone if they have or are at risk for type II diabetes. Anecdotally, have any of you had any positive or negative experience with this supplement?

Replies

• dsimpson67
    Options
    Several years ago, I sold nutritional supplements to Doctors and Nutritionists. They were finding that CLA was great to do exactly that! The reason for it being 'risky' for those with type 2 diabetes is that it flushes the fat out through the organs, including the pancreas where insulin is produced.
    This can raise you BS (Blood Sugar) because your pancreas stops making insulin since it thinks you have enough. This can be an issue over a long period of time because this is exactly why if you're on insulin, you need more and more of it. Your pancreas adapts to the fact that you need less, so it makes less.
    On the flip side, however, it can cause dangerously low BS because it will produce insulin that you don't need because there is insulin in your fat that is passing through.

One nutritionist combatted this by using it in cycles, and had great results - She had one patient who after a year was not only down by 110 pounds, but was no longer insulin dependent! That's huge because in most cases, once you're on insulin injections, it's for life.
  • FaunalFantasy
    FaunalFantasy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Do you think that someone who is not at risk for type II diabetes should try to cycle it, or should I just stop taking it when I reach my weight goal?
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I started taking it a week ago and already feel less bloated and am down 4 lbs. Most of that is water weigh due to hormonal fluctuations, but not all of it. I feel leaner and stronger too. Been working out a lot too. :)
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I take CLA in the form of Tonalin-- along with Omega 3-- been taking it since January. A friend of mine owns a nutrition/vitamin shop and she told me that, from what she has researched, some people respond to the supplement while others don't. I took CLA in the past and found that it seemed to help me lose belly fat so I threw it back in the mix with my latest fitness efforts.

In addition to taking these, I am weight training, running, and keeping my net calories at 1400 per day. I feel great but honestly couldn't tell you whether the CLA has made much difference one way of the other. Regardless, I'll keep it as part of the formula! (And it will keep your bowels regular!)