Paying attention to Macros

Options
I am wanting to start paying attention to my macros more closely. However, I find that whenever I focus my calorie intake drops, and I stress out. So I mostly just don't pay attention.

I eat quite healthy. I am trying to limit my meat intake (while keeping my protein up), and start to lower my fat intake (but still keeping a healthy dose). This is not my strong suit, so I was wondering if I could ask some people to have a peak into my food diary and give me some advice on what I could do.

My calorie goal is around 1500, give or take my exercise.

Replies

• myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    you eat so well i love it! although i did notice a lack of grain in your diet which i'm not sure if youre just eating paleo or not? that could help shore up your carb macros, but everything else looked really good. are you feeling hungry/weak?
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    you eat so well i love it! although i did notice a lack of grain in your diet which i'm not sure if youre just eating paleo or not? that could help shore up your carb macros, but everything else looked really good. are you feeling hungry/weak?

Thanks! I have cut wheat out of my diet for health. However I should set aside some time to prepare rice, or quinoa more frequently. I also add in yams for carbs.

I'm usually very satisfied. I've only just started working out again this week after a long looong hiatus. I find I'm craving lots of fruits, and sugars this week.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Your macros look good overall IMHO, usually over on protein and fat and under on carbs. This is how my macros always look.

Your fats appear to be coming from good sources, so I see no reason to eat less of them. The consensus I've seen is there is no harm in being over on fat.

You can replace some of the higher fat sources of proteins like nuts with leaner sources if you have a reason you are looking to lower fat and eat more carbs. If you feel good on your current diet though, I do not see a reason to do so.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Honestly didn't look at the diary with all the stellar reviews of it I just read, but wanted to throw in my fav quinoa pasta instead of quinoa (which I also like) but the pasta is great in a pinch for time.
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I would like to start meeting my macros. I want to stop eating so many carbs. I think the most important part of meeting macros is planning. I don't have a lot of time to plan. I just eat what I have and try to pre-scan my foods before I eat them. I can suggest whey protein. I drink it all the time. Some come already mixed and some come in powder form. How do you have your macros set? Mine is 40/30/30 (carb/fat/protein).
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    MFP already gives you a heads up over weight watchers since WW adds the calories up from Protein, Fat, Carbs, Alcohol, Fiber to make a random number regardless of the nutritional break down. I just posted on my feed that I didn't hit my protein macro and normally I wouldn't care because one day out of many won't make a big deal, but it was so low and the fact I'm still slightly injured... keeping enough protein in my diet will only help my recovery. I think protein is the only macro I worry about and second fat. Keeping healthy things like hair, nails, skin, healing, joint health all benefit from keeping good fats in your diet. Carbs for me are the least important and are good for feeling full and energy, but really are sort of the red headed step child as far as macros for me.
  • badtastebetty
    Options
    Thanks guys. I guess I won't stress about it yet.
  • theodddone
    theodddone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hadn't really been paying any attention to my macros really just my overall calorie intake but I think I might start taking more notice of and aiming to keep my protein/carbs up seeing as I'm quite active and do quite high level sport and I've generally been just under.
  • badtastebetty
    Options
    Yeah, I need to do some research to see what is best. I don't really understand how people come up with their ratios.