does abilify cause weight gain?

Options
i take abilify 20 mg and i am wondering if it causes weight gain cause i heard it does

Replies

• xokaceyb
    xokaceyb Posts: 6
    Options
    Abilify is one of the many mental disorder medications (not sure if thats what you on for, I know most medications have multiple random uses) but most of those will cause weight gain. I didn't take my meds (Lamictal and Halidol) reguraly enough (now I've stopped them because of other side effects) to notice them causing weight gain. I did notice a fast weight gain during the summer after I went off depo provera (birth control) and was taking mood medications. I was also eating a lot of fast food, but was working pretty physically extensive weeks. So Not sure what contributed to it, meds, depo or poor habits.

Long story short, it probably does. It's different for everyone. I've noticed being off of my meds it's slightly easier to lose weight and I have more energy to work out.

But talk to your doc before stopping any medications you're on!
  • christied829
    Options
    I took Abilify for several months and I gained TONS of weight.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    My son took it as well and the weight gain is one of the reasons we changed to Geodon. 6 months and no abnormal weight gain so far.
  • hannahpark3r
    hannahpark3r Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone. I've never taken Abilifty, but I've taken Lexapro and I'm currently on Zoloft. Both of them (especially Zoloft) were supposed to make me gain weight, but I didn't at all. Just make sure you continue to eat right and maybe exercise a bit more, and you should be fine.