Need major help I don't like much vedge and hate salads!!

Right im going to Egypt in 8 weeks time, im going to start Insanity today I just need a little guidance on nutrition. On a normal day I stay within my calories along with exercise. I have been told by a friend of mine (who is a personal trainer) That I eat too many starchy carbs and shouldn't eat these after 6pm. He also said swap my dinner meal (main meal of the day) with my lunch and my lunch for dinner and this also has to be before 6pm. Now this I find hard, as my partner and I don't get in from work until 7:30pm. So I cook for both of us at this time, some nights we are eating dinner gone 8pm. But I would rather sit down and have dinner together as its our time to catch up after work.

I have also been told that I should eat more fruit ( I thought too much means too much sugar??) & more vedge but the only vedge I like is potatoes (not sweet potato) Sweet corn, peas and that's really it!! I don't like salads at all, I only eat tomatoes when cooked in as a sauce? and carrots if they are in a one pot stew or casorole.

I have also been told to NOT eat bread!! I love bread, the bread I buy is Soya and linseed bread and its whole grain is there any thing wrong with that?? Also I have whole meal pitta, and whole meal wraps... Should I be cutting these out as well??

Can some one please guide me on what to do, and if possible give me a basic daily meal plan for the week so I can go by this for the next 8 weeks. I know its a lot to ask but my weight loss has came to a stop for like 3 months now, and like I said its not because of the exercise as I do that pretty much every day... So must be the diet!!

Thank you
Chaz

Replies

• vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Eat low glycemic index fruit, like berries. You can eat a ton of them for very little carbs and calories.They're best eaten by themselves for easiest digestion. I generally only eat starchy carbs on my heavy workout days. Have you tried pureeing veg and sneaking them into things? That's what I do for my fiance... shred things up, sneak them into meatballs or the like. :)
  • laurengaugler
    laurengaugler Posts: 45 Member
    I have a smoothie every morning and put a very large handful of spinach in it. Great way to sneak in your veggies and you really don't even taste them. As long as you can get past the green or brownish (depending on the fruit put in) color, it is really delightful!
  • brutalbaby
    brutalbaby Posts: 87 Member
    Eat low glycemic index fruit, like berries. You can eat a ton of them for very little carbs and calories.They're best eaten by themselves for easiest digestion. I generally only eat starchy carbs on my heavy workout days. Have you tried pureeing veg and sneaking them into things? That's what I do for my fiance... shred things up, sneak them into meatballs or the like. :)

Now that is a great idea, im going to grate all different vedge down and add it to my food and mix it in!! Thank you. What would you suggest for light snacks and lunches? Just some fruit??
  • brutalbaby
    I have a smoothie every morning and put a very large handful of spinach in it. Great way to sneak in your veggies and you really don't even taste them. As long as you can get past the green or brownish (depending on the fruit put in) color, it is really delightful!

Going to give this a try, have spinach in the house as the other half loves it!!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Oh man. This isn't going to end well...
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Search sneaky veggies there is a whole bunch of sites that sneak veggies into foods, most are design for kids but would be appropriate for anyone
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    I rarely eat green veggie, or any vegetables for that matter. They taste like crap, i just supplement my diet with "greens" powder, multi vitamins, and well i do consume copious amounts of fruit.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    I rarely eat green veggie, or any vegetables for that matter. They taste like crap, i just supplement my diet with "greens" powder, multi vitamins, and well i do consume copious amounts of fruit.

SeemsLegit1_zpseb2e59b9.gif
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Sneak them into things, test different vegetables to find out what you do like or can at least tolerate. I was never a salad fan but then found that with the right combinations, they're delightful and very refreshing. I love a combo of spinach and romaine, topped with shredded carrots, bean sprouts, tomatoes and cucumber with a light yogurt dressing!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    A few thoughts before everyone piles in!

* Personal trainers are generally not the best people to go to for advice. They may have an interest in food but they are not qualified in nutrition.
    * Not eating after 6pm is nonsense. It's calories in, calories out and time makes no difference. If you want a baked potato with your dinner, then have it!
    * Speaking of which, it's fine to eat potatoes. They get a bad reputation but are not that bad and if you leave the skins on are a good source of fibre.
    * And back to dinner... the size of each meal makes no difference. I tend to eat a light breakfast and lunch then have a big dinner. Sit down and have a lovely big starchy dinner with your partner if you want, just count your calories and you will be fine.
    * Sweetcorn and peas are fine, as are tomato sauces and carrots in casseroles. The reason why salad and green veg are particularly good is because they are lower in calorie than peas and corn. Just count your calories and you will be fine.
    * Don't force yourself to eat veg you don't like but also don't be afraid of trying new ones. When I'm working long hours I buy the frozen mixed ones from the supermarket (hide things like green beans in with your corn and you might find you like it!).
    * It's also not true that you have to give up bread. Eat whatever type you like - just log the calories.

Bottom line is, you need to burn more calories than you eat. Try to aim for around 500 calories a day less than your TDEE (calculate it here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html). You can make this reduction through less food, more exercise or a combination of both. It's entirely up to you.

For me, I refuse to give up bread, potatoes and alcohol. I just make sure I fit them into my calories for the day.

Another thing worth doing is getting in a bit of weight training before you go away so you feel great in your bikini! Do this three times a week with as heavy dumbbells as you can manage (I bought cheap ones from Argos) and I promise you will see results!: http://produmbbellworkouts.com/dumbbell-routines/full-body-high-volume/

And could you fit me in your suitcase please? I really need a holiday! ;)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member

* Personal trainers are generally not the best people to go to for advice. They may have an interest in food but they are not qualified in nutrition.
    * Not eating after 6pm is nonsense. It's calories in, calories out and time makes no difference. If you want a baked potato with your dinner, then have it!
    * Speaking of which, it's fine to eat potatoes. They get a bad reputation but are not that bad and if you leave the skins on are a good source of fibre.
    * And back to dinner... the size of each meal makes no difference. I tend to eat a light breakfast and lunch then have a big dinner. Sit down and have a lovely big starchy dinner with your partner if you want, just count your calories and you will be fine.
    * Sweetcorn and peas are fine, as are tomato sauces and carrots in casseroles. The reason why salad and green veg are particularly good is because they are lower in calorie than peas and corn. Just count your calories and you will be fine.
    * Don't force yourself to eat veg you don't like but also don't be afraid of trying new ones. When I'm working long hours I buy the frozen mixed ones from the supermarket (hide things like green beans in with your corn and you might find you like it!).
    * It's also not true that you have to give up bread. Eat whatever type you like - just log the calories.

Bottom line is, you need to burn more calories than you eat. Try to aim for around 500 calories a day less than your TDEE (calculate it here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html). You can make this reduction through less food, more exercise or a combination of both. It's entirely up to you.

For me, I refuse to give up bread, potatoes and alcohol. I just make sure I fit them into my calories for the day.

Another thing worth doing is getting in a bit of weight training before you go away so you feel great in your bikini! Do this three times a week with as heavy dumbbells as you can manage (I bought cheap ones from Argos) and I promise you will see results!: http://produmbbellworkouts.com/dumbbell-routines/full-body-high-volume/

QFT. Too much win there.
  • brutalbaby

A BIG THANK YOU!!!! you have made me feel so much more better, I was stressing that it was because I wasnt eating enough greens my weight loss came to a hault, I am just going to carry on the way I am and sneak in a few vedges if I can. I found I can eat a lot more veg if they are in stif frys with a low calorie sauce over the top. So maybe if I keep hiding them this way it will be better. I do love lots of fruit I just dont eat enough of it, so thats something to push myself into!!

I have dumbells york 20kg ones and have been strength training, done this for about 3 months, now trying Insanity but will keep the weight training mixed in also. I like to mix things up!!

:D
  • brutalbaby

Never heard of 'Greens powder' before... can you give me examples and where I can get this?? Just to add in.
  • SRH7
    A BIG THANK YOU!!!! you have made me feel so much more better, I was stressing that it was because I wasnt eating enough greens my weight loss came to a hault, I am just going to carry on the way I am and sneak in a few vedges if I can. I found I can eat a lot more veg if they are in stif frys with a low calorie sauce over the top. So maybe if I keep hiding them this way it will be better. I do love lots of fruit I just dont eat enough of it, so thats something to push myself into!!

I have dumbells york 20kg ones and have been strength training, done this for about 3 months, now trying Insanity but will keep the weight training mixed in also. I like to mix things up!!

From one English lass to another - you're very welcome! A lot of people try to complicate things. If you start stressing over when to eat food and not to eat food you cut so much out that you lose weight due to calories - but it's not realistic or sustainable (or necessary!).

Stir fries are fab. I get the big bags of basic veg at the supermarket - they are also great raw as a salad (I'm very lazy and just tip a tin of tuna over the top with a sprinkle of dried herbs).

As for fruit - I rarely eat it. I'm just not keen and always feel hungry and crave chocolate afterwards. I personally love veg so would rather have a big bowl of broccoli with a shake of soy sauce and sesame seeds on top. Or a lovely piece of chocolate!

And good work on the weights :flowerforyou:
  • brutalbaby

From one English lass to another - you're very welcome! A lot of people try to complicate things. If you start stressing over when to eat food and not to eat food you cut so much out that you lose weight due to calories - but it's not realistic or sustainable (or necessary!).

Stir fries are fab. I get the big bags of basic veg at the supermarket - they are also great raw as a salad (I'm very lazy and just tip a tin of tuna over the top with a sprinkle of dried herbs).

As for fruit - I rarely eat it. I'm just not keen and always feel hungry and crave chocolate afterwards. I personally love veg so would rather have a big bowl of broccoli with a shake of soy sauce and sesame seeds on top. Or a lovely piece of chocolate!

And good work on the weights :flowerforyou:

I did start to eat broccoli but I found the more I ate it the more I started to dislike it again, I was literally gulping it down with out chewing to try and rid of the taste lol. But I will try it again as never tried it with soy sauce so that sounds good as will disguise the flavor more :D

p.s do you mind if I add you, :)
  • SRH7
    I did start to eat broccoli but I found the more I ate it the more I started to dislike it again, I was literally gulping it down with out chewing to try and rid of the taste lol. But I will try it again as never tried it with soy sauce so that sounds good as will disguise the flavor more :D

Absolutely! I hated broccoli until a few years ago but my boyfriend is mad on it. I found myself cooking it for him (the things you do, eh?) and I now love it. The trick is to only lightly cook it so its still really green and a bit crunchy. Great in stir fries. I buy huge bags of sesame seeds from Chinese supermarkets along with rice noodles - no cooking, just soak in boiling water, drain and add to steamed broccoli and some sauce. Better than Pot Noodle ;)
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    You can sneak veggies into a lot of things; meatloaf, meatballs, lasagna, pasta salad, potato salad, macaroni salad, hamburgers, smoothies, casseroles, pies (pot pie, pasty, etc.) and on and on and on
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    add whiskey as your dressing, it gets better.
  • SRH7
    add whiskey as your dressing, it gets better.

Everything tastes (and feels) better with whiskey :wink:
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member

Don't use broccoli as your vegetable barometer! Broccoli in particular, but all of the brassicas, have glucosinolates that some people can taste, and others can't. It's genetic. Most people who can taste the particular glucosinolate compound in that vegetable hate the vegetable. If that's the case for you, you won't "grow out of it," it has nothing to do with your maturity level or openness to new foods, or anything else. Contrary to what your parents said, you won't learn to like it!

That said, in addition to the other suggestions on this thread, if you are interested in trying salads (most greens don't have that problem - though if you don't like broccoli, don't count on liking cabbage or kale, either...), be aware that there is a huge variety of flavors of greens most people are never exposed to.

I used to think I hated salads. I'm allergic to iceberg and romaine lettuce, which certainly had something to do with that, since that's most of what you'll find in stores and restaurants. But then I started an organic farm, and started growing lots of different types of lettuce and other greens. And, what surprised me, and many of our customers, is just how flavorful, and what a diversity of flavors, the available salad greens are if you look a little closer to the source. And, also, what a difference in flavor the difference in age of a couple hours vs. a week or two between harvest and consumption (most of the "fresh greens" in the grocery store spend about a week getting there, and another 4-7 days on the shelf before you buy them and put 'em in your fridge for a week...). Other fruits and veggies also benefit greatly with freshness.

So, you may want to consider looking for a local farm or CSA that would let you sample right out of the fields. You may find you really like some veggies, even salads!