Are you ever sore after days you DON'T work out?

Options
I ended up working out for 5 days straight last week (just how my schedule ended up being), then I took Monday off. I played tennis for an hour on Tuesday, then had to also take Wednesday off to go to a birthday dinner thing. But today, I am incredibly sore. I don't understand! I was also pretty sore on Tuesday. I don't understand how I'm not all that sore if I worked out the night before, but after my rest days, everything just aches.

Any tips?

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Second day DOMS. The soreness can be more intense than it was the first day after your workout. It's normal.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Second day DOMS. The soreness can be more intense than it was the first day after your workout. It's normal.

Listen to her.

She knows alot about soreness.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mb133sNYWl1rzz3r3o1_500.gif
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options

But how come I don't get even nearly as sore if I work out the next day? Like I barely even notice my soreness if I worked out the day before. I wasn't sore during the five days straight, but after that one rest day, it sucked.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options

Super helpful, thanks. I was under the impression this was a place I could ask questions.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options

Super helpful, thanks. I was under the impression this was a place I could ask questions.

No problem! Here is a direct link to the website. www.google.com :flowerforyou:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

But how come I don't get even nearly as sore if I work out the next day? Like I barely even notice my soreness if I worked out the day before. I wasn't sore during the five days straight, but after that one rest day, it sucked.

How many days have you played tennis in the last 3 weeks?
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

Exercise relieves soreness. On days you don't work out, and are really sore, even some mild stretching might help.
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was more sore after two days of being sedentary than I have felt after a tough workout. I actually pulled out the heating pad!
  • whiteoutpen
    Options

It's been the first time in awhile. I usually do cycling or zumba at the gym. So I could understand the extra soreness in my arms, but I do similar movements with my legs (a lot of jumping and high impact), and my legs are killing me. And my back :(
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was more sore after two days of being sedentary than I have felt after a tough workout. I actually pulled out the heating pad!
    this was true for me as well. I took two days off in a row from the shred and regretted it ... that first day back I wanted to cry and the second day back was a killer!
  • whiteoutpen
    Options

Exercise relieves soreness. On days you don't work out, and are really sore, even some mild stretching might help.

I'll try that! Every part of my body keeps popping and cracking everytime I move, lol. I'll look up some good stretches, thanks for your help :)
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    this was true for me as well. I took two days off in a row from the shred and regretted it ... that first day back I wanted to cry and the second day back was a killer!

For me, it never hurts more when I work out after a day or two off. Just when I'm resting, just sitting at home. My shins often hurt at the beginning of zumba, though, but that's regardless of whether I took a day off or not.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

It's been the first time in awhile. I usually do cycling or zumba at the gym. So I could understand the extra soreness in my arms, but I do similar movements with my legs (a lot of jumping and high impact), and my legs are killing me. And my back :(

It is still very different......that is most likely why you are sore. The movements for tennis are going to be very different than Zumba/cycling.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Ah! I was wondering if anyone else had this little issue. I don't get really sore, but on rest days I do find that I'm a little sore--& it's relieved once I work out again. Stretching does help during rest days, or even just a small simple workout of about 10-15 minutes.
  • veec0
    veec0 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

No problem! Here is a direct link to the website. www.google.com :flowerforyou:
    if you are going to be helpful put a little effort into it, like this http://bit.ly/ZKO9cw :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think part of it was DOMS from your tennis playing. You may do some similar movements at your other workouts but I'm sure there's a lot more of a difference than you realize. All those little lateral muscles, etc that don't get moved as much or the same way are a bit damaged so of course you'll be sore.

Could also be from sitting around - happens to me sometimes. Last weekend I wasn't feeling so great so I took it easy. Of course I did some grocery shopping and cleaning but the majority of the weekend was spent sitting on the couch all curled up. So I think a big part of it is just the muscles getting tight from not being used like they normally are. There's nothing wrong with taking rest days but you can make them "active" rest. Just do something really lowkey like a stroll (slow walk) around the neighborhood then get a good stretch in.

If you do stretch, be very careful not to over extend or bounce. Cold muscles are a bit more fragile than warm ones. Also look into dynamic stretches (google or go to youtube for videos - too hard to explain).
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It always seems that I am more sore 48 hours after working out than I was 24 hours after. And exercise does help relieve the soreness. I notice it a lot more if I don't exercise.
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I agree that it could be due to playing Tennis where it's something you haven't done in a while. I don't generally get that sore unless I do a new workout, or one I haven't done in a long time.
  • throttle2009
    Options
    I supplement with a good quality BCAA before, during after workout. This will help your endurance and will ease the soreness. Check into it...I tried it and it works for me. I use Cellucor brand...just mix it up with water in a shaker bottle and drink it over the course of each workout.