ViSalus

Options
How good or bad is this stuff for you? I have a friend who recently started taking it (April 6 to be exact) and is basically starving herself. She has 1 of these shakes for breakfast, 1 for lunch and then she eats supper and has a snack (probably not a helthy one either) later in the evening. She is delusional about what this shake will do for her and won't listen to me. Her starting weight is 189 and she just posted on Facebook that she is now at 181lbs...that is only 4 days and she is down 8lbs! THAT can't be good for her!

Replies

• fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of any of those products. They (people pushing the crap) say it is about being healthy and then say to eat 1200 calories. It is just sad. I will spend my money on real food- thanks! My husband tried another company's (same concept). He was doing insanity and running with just those shakes, couple snaks, and dinner- I finally showed him what he was doing to himself. He now counts his calories and eats way more than 1200.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    How good or bad is this stuff for you? I have a friend who recently started taking it (April 6 to be exact) and is basically starving herself. She has 1 of these shakes for breakfast, 1 for lunch and then she eats supper and has a snack (probably not a helthy one either) later in the evening. She is delusional about what this shake will do for her and won't listen to me. Her starting weight is 189 and she just posted on Facebook that she is now at 181lbs...that is only 4 days and she is down 8lbs! THAT can't be good for her!

she's losing water. meal replacement shakes are a gimmick. they are expensive and they don't teach anyone how to live for the rest of their lives. if your friend doesn't plan on drinking only those for the rest of her life, when she comes off of them and eats real food again, she's most likely going to put back all of the weight and more.

what she should be doing is learning how her body works and how/why it gains/loses fat. that's what calorie counting and IIFYM would do for her. tell her when she gets tired of the shakes, she should make an account here and start learning about the things she needs to know so that she can take the weight off and maintain it for the rest of her life while eating real foods.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I'd wager it has the same success as the Slimfast diet...none.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I use Visalus but not the way the company tries to push it. I initially woul make them only to try to up my protein intake, as I was so busy that I would forget to eat and they were quick for me. Now, I drink them because I actually love the taste of them. I have a horrible sweet tooth so now, when I'm craving something sweet, I can make a strawberry v-shake and be done with it. It's better for me then the entire pint of Haagen Daaz I would typically eat....lol.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I use Visalus but not the way the company tries to push it. I initially woul make them only to try to up my protein intake, as I was so busy that I would forget to eat and they were quick for me. Now, I drink them because I actually love the taste of them. I have a horrible sweet tooth so now, when I'm craving something sweet, I can make a strawberry v-shake and be done with it. It's better for me then the entire pint of Haagen Daaz I would typically eat....lol.

You should be learning to deal with the ice cream because it's always going to be there and a serve of it can be a wonderful treat for you to enjoy every now and then for the rest of you life. Fit what you love into your calories and macros is how you stay slim long term.
    Not diet shakes!
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    One of the best articles I found. I also did my own independent research because I love to read : http://www.davidmodderman.com/blog/index.php/weight-loss/body-by-vi-is-it-all-hype/

I wish I could come up with something like this...I'd be rich!! The diet industry boasts multi-billion dollar profits since everyone is looking for a quick fix.
  • robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have had people try to push that stuff on me so they could get their free month supply..I tell them no I am not interested and I would rather do it the way I have been doing it even tho my way might take a little longer but at least I am making changes by eating better and getting more active...=)
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

You should be learning to deal with the ice cream because it's always going to be there and a serve of it can be a wonderful treat for you to enjoy every now and then for the rest of you life. Fit what you love into your calories and macros is how you stay slim long term.
    Not diet shakes!

Again, I don't use them as a "diet shake" or even a meal replacement. I drink them because I like the taste of them. I can drink one shake, and easily change the flavor if I want, and be more satisfied then when I do eat the ice cream. I don't ban anything from my diet. If I really, REALLY want something, I have it. I have found that the moment I tell myself I can't have something, that is all I can think about...lol
  • auntiesonya1970
    Options
    Most North American diets are too high in protein anyway. I'm always over on my daily intake and I don't eat much meat. If I was on supplements, I'd be WAY over. I prefer to get my protein from things I can chew. But that's just me. If it works for you then all the power to you. This is a great conversation!
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    I personally just think my friend is lazy and doesn't want to do the work it takes to lose the weight in a healthy way. It's sad really that she has been brainwashed by all of that crap.
  • shelliereneebug
    Options
    I am currently using Body By Vi products and I LOVE THEM. It is not brainwashing, it is about the great success I have had with this product. It allowed me to loose the weight and get to the point where I could do physical activities. I work out and now and feel AMAZING. It is not laziness or poor nutrition. It is not brainwashed. It is simple facts. If you want to know real facts I would be happy to answer any questions without bias or pressure.... I feel that someone should do whatever works to help you loose the weight, but in a healthy manner. Dont take one persons opinion or thier option because you need to do what works for you. I found that BBV is the one product that helps me stay on track. <edited by moderator Guideline #14>
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 10 pounds my first week of changing my eating habits. It was water. That's probably how she's lost so much so quickly. It's not actual fat.

I think products like that are an amazing waste of money. I've never even so much as bought a slim fast shake and I'm doing pretty well. I guess I just like real food.

People are going to do what they're going to do, though. And they'll attribute weight loss to the "awesome amazing product full of vitamins and minerals and rainbows and love" instead of the fact that they're taking in fewer calories than they're burning.

People can spend ("waste," imo) their money on junk like that if they want and I'll enjoy my food and my extra spending money.
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

^Agree I like them too. I don't use them as a diet shake. I just like the taste. And I also don't deny myself anything. :)
  • lesterfaye81
    lesterfaye81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use Zeal protein shakes as a meal replacement in a smoothie because it is better for me than eating out when I have to work through lucnh. I also use them to get in more fiber, and make a shake (with milk, yogurt, and frozen fruit) as a way to get more fruit in my diet. I'm single, so if I don't freeze the fruit it doesn't get eaten before it rots. They're a great idea for some people. I've been using the wellness formula for two months now as a supplement and I LOVE IT. I was pretty skeptical to begin with, and I'm still eating actual food, it just helps me work out more. If she's practical about it, it won't hurt might help. That's what you have to remember, use your brain. Zurvita (company that makes Zeal) actually encourgages people to eat real food. Heck, they even have a menu and it has more calories than I usually eat in a day. (1500-1800)
  • eboyas
    eboyas Posts: 11
    Options
    Your friend is losing water weight. When you first go on a low carb, high protein diet, your body sheds glycogen. For each gram of glycogen, she will lose 2-3 grams of water. After a while, the weight loss will slow.

I don't think the diet shake in and of itself is horrible. It is just high protein, and if she doesn't add crap to the shakes (instant pudding etc.), it could be okay. I like the fact that they use non-GMO soy.

That being said, she can do the same thing with food. I lost eight pounds my first week on the South Beach diet (it starts with low carb, and then introduces whole grains and other low-glycemic carbs), and my weight loss, after the first month, slowed to an average of 1.3 pounds a week which is healthy and long-lasting weight loss (plus, you don't have saggy skin. This is my second time doing this after my second pregnancy.)

http://www.smallestloser.blogspot.com
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Soy protein is a very cheap protein, also body by vi isn't a miracle, if you replace 2 meals a day with a whey isolate protein it would do essentially the same. In the end weight loss is calories in vs calories out. Over priced product which is full of questionable ingredients. No scientific research behind the product. Dont even get me started on the MLM part.....

http://fabulouslydomestic.com/2012/08/13/dangerous-visalus-ingredients/

http://www.lazymanandmoney.com/visalus-scam/
  • qswilliams
    Options
    Tried it. Did not loose more than a couple of pounds. They are tasty. I was making a shake using choc soy milk with some peanut butter. Fills me up for a couple of hours. I did help my blood sugar. I am 6" 225 lbs and 51 years old if that helps.
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    OMG, I can't even stand to read her posts about it on Facebook. Her momand a few others have now said they are good for you and have real food in them and are healthy. You only need to eat once a day, food diets don't work, we just gain weight on food etc. etc. Stupid stupid people! They will gain every pound back when they stop drinking the shakes.

I guess all of us on this form are dumb and we're all gaining weight (not losing it) because we eat FOOD. UGH...I think I need to block her.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My daughter in law sells the stuff. It's a ridiculous waste of money. She and her sister are bragging about how much they've lost but both of them are morbidly obese and have lost about 20 lbs in a few months which they could easily have done just backing away from the chip bag. She keeps trying to tell me how much nutrition the shakes have but you can get lots of nutrition from real food if you don't eat junk.

It's a huge MLM scheme and almost a cult. It's scarey how into it she is and how brainwashed about it being the "only" healthy way to lose weight.