Weight Loss Shakes... do they work?

Options
My fiance has been drinking the weight loss shakes for breakfast for a few months and he's been losing weight. IHe's not typically a breakfast eater, but I always have been. I didn't think this would fill me up until my mid-morning snack or lunch, but I started drinking them this week and it's actually fairly filling. Typically I have a shake for breakfast and a banana or hard-boiled egg for a mid-morning snack. It's only been 3 days, but my question is, is this actually going to work or should I try a different approach?

Replies

• iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    no. they do not work. nothing works except changes in your life that you can stick to forever.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Weight loss shakes create a calorie deficit.

There's no magic to them. You could do the same thing with portioned food.
  • perfectpixie7
    perfectpixie7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I find that I am usually hungry quickly after eating a typically breakfast (cereal, oatmeal) and the shakes have actually been fairly filling, much more than I expected. Any suggestions on what a good, portioned breakfast looks that that will keep me full until my next meal/snack?
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I find that I am usually hungry quickly after eating a typically breakfast (cereal, oatmeal) and the shakes have actually been fairly filling, much more than I expected. Any suggestions on what a good, portioned breakfast looks that that will keep me full until my next meal/snack?

That's because cereals are basically a bowl of carbs. Shakes (depending on the brand) contain more nutrition and protein which will keep you fuller for longer.

EGGS. 2 whole eggs, sautéed spinach, 2 slices of ham or chicken and 1 slice of grainy bread - keeps me full for at least 4 hours
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    On my oatmeal mornings, I add plain Greek yogurt for protein, plus fresh berries, walnuts, a tbs of honey and sprinkle with cinnamon - it's delicious and filling! My other go-to breakfast is 2-3 eggs & a slice of toast (sourdough is my fave!), and a piece of fruit. Both meals get my day started with good fuel and protein and hold me until snack or early lunch time.
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magical about a weight loss shake. They typically work by being low calorie and very filling, so overall you eat less. I'd avoid buying any prepackaged shake, but you can make your own if you like them. Or, just eat a more nutritious breakfast. Cereal is basically a multivitamin with sugar and loaded calories from carbs. Add some protein and fat in there. If you like typical breakfast foods, think of sausages, eggs, milk, greek yogurt, etc.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Weight loss shakes work. they help create a deficit and keep you fuller longer so you tend to eat less. You can achieve this with eating a balanced meal instead.
    I would suggest adding protein powder to your oatmeal (I do this fairly often, I also add protein powder to my pancakes and baked goods) and it will keep you fuller longer
    Also, try the omelet someone else suggested, i make a similar one (egg whites only) that keeps me full until lunch:
    4-5 egg whites, chopped chicken/turkey/any available meat, sprinkle of cheese, spinach, salsa
    low cals, lots of protein

The problem that many "shakers" have is that when stop the shakes, they gain the weight because they havent learned good eating habits. I usually have a protein shake in the morning for breakfast and eat sensibly throughout the day. Protein shakes are convenient for me during the week because Im bad with breakfast on work days :grumble:
    But on the weekends, i make my own breakfast. I actually havent had a shake in over a week and I am still losing. I dont depend on them, which makes a huge difference.
  • nicolie81587
    nicolie81587 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I snack on granola and fruit in the morning and that has kept my calories down and I'm not nearly as hungry.
  • PattiBear85
    PattiBear85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did the slim fast with soymilk in the morning with a banana. And it held me over till noon. If I didn't add the banana I'd be chewing on my desk by 10:30a.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yep, not magic, just calorie reduction.

Easy filling breakfasts.

Fruit smoothie with protein powder and greek yogurt.
    Fruit=around 70 cals
    1/2 cup fat free greek yogurt=70 cals or fat full around 100
    Protein powder=around 120 cals

over 30 grams of protein

Breakfast Sandwich
    Thomas Light Multi Grain English Muffin=100 cals
    Egg=70cals
    Ham 2 oz=80 cals
    Cheese 0.5 oz=around 50 cals

over 20 grams of protein

Just look at the macros and find something that suits your needs.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It's basically just calorie reduction.If it works for you go for it
  • perfectpixie7
    perfectpixie7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great breakfast ideas! I think I will do the shake once in a while and mix it up with more protein options on other days. :smile:
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Firstly we cannot generalise "weightloss shakes", as they are all different. Anyone who says meal replacements don't work, clearly don't know ANYTHING about them at all. They can be very useful, with proven success. I swear by low carb protein shakes, not the standard high sugar slim fast type shakes. I use them in addition to a healthy low carb diet.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Weight loss shakes only work because they lower your calories overall. If you replace a meal with a weight loss shake but eat more later in the day you won't lose weight.

You can get the same results by making real foods. If cereal or oatmeal isn't keeping you full than switch that to eggs, oatmeal with a bit of chia seeds or protein powder mixed in.. etc. Make sure it's higher protein, good fats and fiber to keep you feeling full for longer.

My personal issue with weight loss shakes is mainly because for what they give you, they are incredibly expensive. They also don't allow you to learn anything and are more a temporary thing. You drink a shake for a meal or two a day so you don't learn how to prepare healthy and filling foods for those meals which causes you to gain weight back once you stop drinking those shakes. I would prefer to spend the money on fresh foods that are better for you than a shake. I would prefer to have weight loss be a little slower but being able to learn how to lose weight, how to make good meals and how to sustain weight loss.
  • tracyschreier
    tracyschreier Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Jimmy Dean sausage, egg & cheese biscuit (croissant). 410 calories, 26 carbs, 12 protein, 29 fat, and 2 fiber. It takes 58 seconds in the microwave and the bread isn't hard or chewy. I eat them about three times a week and so far, it's the only breakfast that keeps me going to lunch.
  • mattashbrock
    Options
    Weight loss shakes, weight gain shakes, ensure and all other liquid meals are in essence the same. Yes some have more protein and different amounts of calories. People who are losing weight drink one instead of a meal, people trying to gain weight drink one between meals or in addition to meals. They are valuable tools especially in patient populations that have swallowing issues or are having trouble eating regular food(usually elderly). Honestly they probably help a lot more in those trying to gain rather than lose, unless you are one of those people that actually prefer to drink meals instead of chew them like the vast majority of people.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Filling breakfast: eggs, bacon or sausage, side of sauteed veggies. I also like eggs, some sort of meat, cheese, salsa and avocados. Sometimes I've had dinner leftovers for breakfast, too. There's a million variations on eggs/meat/veggie breakfasts.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    I will drink the Costco weight loss shakes in the morning for no reason other than I don't have time to eat breakfast otherwise, and they've got added vitamins and nutrients, and there isn't an "appetite suppressant" in them (but they do pack a punch as far as sugar :ohwell:

They aren't as satisfying as a real breakfast, though.