Cooper River Bridge Run-2013

I noted a few people here were planning on running/walking this. So, how did you do? Did you accomplish your goals.

For me, it was a last minute decision to do the Bridge Run. I signed up on March 17 with "zero" run training under my belt. There was no question about whether I could complete the course, even if I walked the entire way. I could walk the 10K in my sleep with a 50 pound pack on my back. And really, my main purpose was to get onto the bridge deck in a way you can't normally and take some photographs of the bridge structure.

Running the 10K was almost an afterthought.

I did run it (except for the 11 or so minutes up on the bridge when I was taking pictures. I was running against a heart rate...to see what pace I could maintain with a 155 bpm rate on my HRM.

It was a beautiful day and a comfortable run and I felt strong enough at the end to keep on running if I had had the chance.

8640320856_4fe8d91ee9.jpg
CRBR-2013(b) by gsaun039, on Flickr

8639215831_3fd88bc805.jpg
CRBR-2013(a) by gsaun039, on Flickr

Replies

• sassafrass5
    sassafrass5 Posts: 3 Member
    I was there. :)

First time doing any kind of race. I agreed to do it with friends back in Feb, kind of on a whim. I am so glad I did! I was not worried too much about actually completeing the race, but I didn't know if I would be able to run at all. I am a very slow runner, so for me, completing it was my big goal, any running at all was icing on the cake. I was able to run for a bit over half of it, mostly on the down side. I walked up it and some during the downtown portion where it got really crowded.

I will be back next year, and am trying to convince my dh and teens to do it with me, too!

Beautiful pics!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Yes, King Street got really crowded as I approached the 6th mile. I had to be very careful in the line I chose to keep from getting tripped from behind by runners running at about my pace and from running over the people who were walking.

The blueberry muffins were a real treat at the end, though the fruit and the bagels were good as well.

It sure was a lot more organized than the last time I ran any road race (1985). The bus shuttles worked well, I thought. This was my first CRBR. I mostly did it for the pictures.

I may try again next year.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    I did--what a beautiful race in a beautiful city! My profile picture was taken later that afernoon.

My goal was to run the whole thing in 1:12:00. I did it in 1:05:30.

CRBR 2013 was my very first 10k and it did not disappoint. I will definitely "get over it" again in 2014!
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Love the pictures! The bridge is so purty now that I'm not actually running up it. :-)

My husband & I wanted to beat last year's time of 1:16. We'd hoped for an hour but knew the chances were slim. We made it in 1:03. Afterwards, we simply rolled around Charleston eating good food for the rest of the weekend.

I was just thankful that we had an on-time start. Last year was just awful, but this year everything was executed absolutely perfectly!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member