still hate to work out!

Options
after being inactive for quite a few years, i buckled down about 6 months ago and started working out. i get in 5 workouts a week, mostly jillian michaels dvds. i feel like im in pretty decent shape and have come a long way from that first workout, which i feel great about. ive only lost around 9 lbs in that time, which is very discouraging since ive been careful about my food too (not logging calories bec im too lazy but really, ive been good.) my problem is that literally every day is a struggle to get myself to do my workout. the only way to get myself to do it is to just not think about it. i just tell myself, you dont want to lose the fitness level you worked so hard for, just get off your lazy tush and do it. but i feel like it shouldnt be such a struggle anymore.

is this common? i kind of thought i would enjoy it more by this point. how do you motivate yourself to work out? and is it going to be like this for the rest of my life? am i every going to actually enjoy this?
what has been your experience?

Replies

• nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if it's that much of a struggle, you should find a new workout. There are literally thousands of ways to exercise, there is something out there that is right for you. Dancing, running, swimming, a bazillion different sports, cycling, yoga, pilates, and probably a tonne more I haven't thought about. Switch it up until you find something you can enjoy doing.
  • jadimasi79
    jadimasi79 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for over a year and still hate working out. I have tried classes, dvds, walking, gym, elliptical, etc, etc, etc. I have yet found anything that makes me enjoy working out. The only thing that keeps me at the gym is that my husband is a runner and enjoys races. I have gone to quite a few of the races and it is a fun atmosphere. I started to sign up for races about once every 3-4 months. By doin the races I am always motivated that I want to finish the race with the same or better time and it keeps me excercising. I still hate the workout but I enjoy the people at the races and getting medals!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything under the sun as well...and i hate everything. You just have to find what the least crappy one is. For me it's lifting weights. I hate every second of it, but I hate running more, and zumba more, and...you get the picture. Try other things, you're going to hate them, but they might not be as bad as that psycho Jillian Michaels.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    after being inactive for quite a few years, i buckled down about 6 months ago and started working out. i get in 5 workouts a week, mostly jillian michaels dvds. i feel like im in pretty decent shape and have come a long way from that first workout, which i feel great about. ive only lost around 9 lbs in that time, which is very discouraging since ive been careful about my food too (not logging calories bec im too lazy but really, ive been good.) my problem is that literally every day is a struggle to get myself to do my workout. the only way to get myself to do it is to just not think about it. i just tell myself, you dont want to lose the fitness level you worked so hard for, just get off your lazy tush and do it. but i feel like it shouldnt be such a struggle anymore.

is this common? i kind of thought i would enjoy it more by this point. how do you motivate yourself to work out? and is it going to be like this for the rest of my life? am i every going to actually enjoy this?

When people dont log their food they tend to over estimate how much they are eating. My sister was doing this and after we went through her daily intake she quickly realized why she was gaining weight.
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm with you here. I've been working out 4 days week for the last 4 months, and I thought I would start to enjoy to it as my fitness level increased, but I still look forward to it like I do my yearly gyno visit. Gotta do it, but ugh.... The worst for me was the time on the treadmill. It is boring even with my favorite music playing. My solution was Dr.Who on Netflix. Time just flies by now. :drinker:
  • acdcwells09
    acdcwells09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, but I switched to swimming and I enjoy it so much. It's me time, i don't have kids bugging me the entire time. So I agree with nicola1141, trying finding something you enjoy doing and also find a person that motivates you. Mine's my husband, when he goes to the gym and I didn't plan on it, it gets me off my butt and to the gym. Good Luck!!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    If you aren't logging, you can't really know that you have your numbers correct. It's easy for our perceptions to be off when it comes to food and portions (ask me how I know.....).

I'm really glad for you that you are seeing results in your fitness level, that your workouts are stronger than they were at the beginning. It may be time to switch things up if you are doing the same routines that you were before, just to keep yourself engaged. I'd recommend some sort of strength training (weights, bodyweight, or even resistance bands) if you aren't already doing it, and maybe try some different cardio? Running can be fun and addictive once you get past the first few rough weeks.

If switching things up doesn't work, that's still okay. Sometimes we have to do things that are good for us even if we don't like it. In the end, the results (better health and fitness) are what matter.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need a different workout.

Have you tried:
    Cycling
    Yoga
    Hiking
    Zumba
    Dance classes
    Hula hooping
    Wii/ kinect games
    Swimming
    Parkour
    Kayaking
    Adult league volleyball/ soccer/ kickball...

Pick something and try it for a month. If you aren't hooked by then, pick something else and try it for a month. Keep at it until you find something you enjoy.
  • kayless2
    kayless2 Posts: 2
    Options
    The Les Mills workouts have finally got me hooked, specifically Pump and Combat.

I wouldn't say I get excited to work out, but I really look forward to them. It's the first time I've ever found any form of exercise I can stick with for a long period of time.

Good luck with your journey! :)
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    op here. thanks everyone for the replies.
    truth is, i love sports but i dont know of any in my area and i have a very small window of time during my son's nap to work out. the convenience of the dvds is why i do them. i have considered buying a treadmill and taking up running. also, with running, i can listen to music, which gets me going (with the dvd its hard to listen to music bec i need to hear her voice during floor stuff bec im not looking at the screen). i used to run as a teenager and experienced a "runners high" one time and it was awesome. maybe i will alternate to make things more interesting. i guess this is just one of those things i dont enjoy (like the gyno visit lol) but gotta do anyway. i do like the way i feel when im fit so thats my motivation to continue.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Rofl, most people enjoy working out because what they are doing to workout is enjoyable to them, or became enjoyable to them, which is not true in your case so... try something else. Look into HIIT interval training, google it.

God I could never do DVDs...

Oh, and start logging for christsake... you're obviously eating more than you think. :tongue: