How Often Did You Eat Out As A Kid?

Options
btsinmd
btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
Reading this article:
http://news.yahoo.com/youll-gladly-die-children-why-wont-cook-them-155639748.html

got me to thinking. I was just wondering what your experiences were. Not judging tghem good or bad, just what were they? Is the writer of the article correct with the trends she says?

My experience as a child, age infant to 14 years. As a family we ate out once a week for Sunday lunch. It was always a kid friendly place, sometimes fast food, sometimes Friendlys or similar where we could have ice cream sundaes, or sometimes a pancake house.

Other than that all meals were at home. Breakfast was sometimes cereal, sometimes scrambled or poached eggs and toast, and on Saturday morning my Dad made pancakes. Lunch was a sandwich with pretzels or fruit or leftovers if it was a weekend. You had to bring your lunch to school and we ate in the gymnasium. We generally had sit down dinners, but not everyone was present all the time due to afternoon or evening activities, so food was kept warm on the stove until after everyone had eaten.

Birthday parties were held in people's houses or backyards or both and usually were just cake as far as food, but occasionally they involved hamburgers and/or hotdogs on the grill during warmer months and pizza during the winter ones.

What were your experiences?

Replies

• SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    At home with my mom? Rarely. Once, maye twice a month. Either my mom cooked or I did. I could cook a full thanksgivig meal 9including dessert by age 12.)
    Once I was older and started hanging out with friends, had my own money, etc? a little more frequently.
    Once I was in college and no longer a kid? OFTEN
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I rarely ate out as a kid. McDonald's was usually an award for helping with chores, etc, lol.

As soon as I was able, I OD'ed on fast food (especially in college)! Not good.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    growing up i ate out (or had food delivered) almost every night. i'd guess on average one night a week food might be cooked at home. occasionally 2 nights a week. very rarely any more than that. i ate breakfast and lunch at school during the week. on the weekend usually cereal for breakfast or toast and often sandwiches or leftovers for lunch. i feel like birthday parties were almost always at someone's house and usually involved pizza. a couple of the kids from more well off families would have a party at chuck e cheese or some such thing.

my mom worked 3 jobs and my dad 3 jobs and went to school when i was growing up. there wasn't much option outside of this.

now days my husband and i probably eat out 3 times a week on average. this is never fast food though.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    edit because I just have to
  • Mharren
    Mharren Posts: 60
    Options
    When I was with my mother, we almost never ate out.

With my Father, we ate at Wendy's up to 3 times a week and often went out to dinner at restaurants at least once a week.
  • ladybison07
    Options
    I was blessed to have a stay at home mom, so most meals were at home. I also think it was cheaper because even back then, taking 6 people out to eat was not cheap! Nowadays I eat out more with my husband and daughter mainly because I do not like to cook (I can cook, just don't like to). Also our schedules are so busy (we normally do not get home until 8 PM). I am trying to get into the habit of making multiple meals on the weekend for the weekdays. It will be healthier and cheaper in the long run.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    At home with my mom? Rarely. Once, maye twice a month. Either my mom cooked or I did. I could cook a full thanksgivig meal 9including dessert by age 12.)
    Once I was older and started hanging out with friends, had my own money, etc? a little more frequently.
    Once I was in college and no longer a kid? OFTEN

This. My mom cooked a lot and taking a family of 5 out to eat isn't cheap.

It was when I started working full time and living alone that I gain a lot of weight from eating fast food almost twice a day.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    There were a couple stretches of time when we were pretty poor and didn't get take out at all, but I think in general we probably ate fast food once a week. Eating at legit restaurants was only a special occasion thing. I remember my mom used to take me out for all you can eat shrimp on my birthday. I never really had or went to birthday parties.

I do know that every single penny I ever earned when I was a kid was used to purchase candy and soda.

One time I found a $10 bill on the ground and OMG the haul I brought back from the candy store was... spectacular!

ETA: Except for one summer when I was 11 and worked a "real job" and saved all my money to buy a bike. :P
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

This. My mom cooked a lot and taking a family of 5 out to eat isn't cheap.

It was when I started working full time and living alone that I gain a lot of weight from eating fast food almost twice a day.

My family is 7 or more when we go out to eat, but we went out atleast once a week if not more. There were no home-cooked meals. We fend for ourselves, PB&J, chicken noodle soup or whatever was in the house. Except during soccer season when there was McDonalds for every goal my brother scored or when we were on the road a lot for his soccer tournaments.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I lived in Cyprus from the ages of 5-11. We ate out quite frequently but the portions weren't what they are in the UK and it was so so cheap in the late 80s early 90s (it isn't now). They were family run restaurants with quality food. Lots of meat, chips (fries), fish and salads.

The one thing we were though was very active (who wouldn't be with all that glorious weather?). Lots and lots of swimming, lots of extra curricular activities after school. No wonder I struggled with my weight when we moved back to the UK!
  • ftballmom9296
    ftballmom9296 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    We didn't eat out a whole lot when we were young, but my moms family is hispanic, so everything was homemade. Like spanish rice, homemade tortillas, homemade tortillas, homamade tortillas you get the idea. So when you eat like that everynight well you get the idea look at the picture. Then when we were younger we were around my grandmas house all the time, so she tried to make sure you were not hungry and you could eat all you wanted she would make sure you didn't run out until you were so full you could not move. Well that is how I was raised and that is the way I cooked for my family I have 2boys 20 and 17 and when they were young I cooked everynight but Fridays. There was only 4 of us but I would make enough food for 20. Now I am paying for it. But will definitely accomplish my goals. Have a wonderful day.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Reading this article:
    http://news.yahoo.com/youll-gladly-die-children-why-wont-cook-them-155639748.html

got me to thinking. I was just wondering what your experiences were. Not judging tghem good or bad, just what were they? Is the writer of the article correct with the trends she says?

My experience as a child, age infant to 14 years. As a family we ate out once a week for Sunday lunch. It was always a kid friendly place, sometimes fast food, sometimes Friendlys or similar where we could have ice cream sundaes, or sometimes a pancake house.

Other than that all meals were at home. Breakfast was sometimes cereal, sometimes scrambled or poached eggs and toast, and on Saturday morning my Dad made pancakes. Lunch was a sandwich with pretzels or fruit or leftovers if it was a weekend. You had to bring your lunch to school and we ate in the gymnasium. We generally had sit down dinners, but not everyone was present all the time due to afternoon or evening activities, so food was kept warm on the stove until after everyone had eaten.

Birthday parties were held in people's houses or backyards or both and usually were just cake as far as food, but occasionally they involved hamburgers and/or hotdogs on the grill during warmer months and pizza during the winter ones.

What were your experiences?

The minute I read your post I knew you were my age (:huh: ) LOL. We lived in a little one red light town about 15 miles from the "big city". My mother would go to town once a week for groceries. If you wanted to ride with her you'd better have your butt in the car ready to go "because she did not wait for you". If she had money left over from groceries we might get lucky enough to have a cheese burger from Carols or Red Barn? Any of these sound familiar? LOL Well think of them as the "first fast food joint - "pre McDonald's" LOL.

Dinners at home were "the real thing" - no ordering a pizza or subs. If we wanted those we made them from scratch. Sunday dinner was a roast or baked chicken with mashed potatoes. If my mother bought pop it was the 2 lt. bottle but that was a treat - usually it was Kool-Aid. If we didn't buy our lunch at school and we "brown bagged it" (yes an actual brown paper lunch bag) most of the time it was PB & J with a piece of fruit and maybe a baggie of chips or pretzels and we bought white milk at school. On the weekends if we had popcorn it was made from kernels in the cast iron pan on the stove...shake, shake, shake. LOL And you'd better be shaking that pan - if you burned it then everyone sitting in the living room waiting for it would start yelling "Your burning it." Okay, now I'm really going to "date" myself. The first time I ever heard of chicken wings my thought was "who would pay for such a thing?". Of course once I had them that answered that question.

So after going down memory lane I remember reading something about the number of overweight people today compared to when I was a kid. Back then it was something like 1 in 10 or 1 in 25 and now it's what? 2 out of 3? There were about 80 people in my graduating class from high school and I can count on one hand the number of people in my grade that were overweight.....and still have fingers left over. :noway:
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I rarely ate out as a kid. McDonald's was usually an award for helping with chores, etc, lol.

As soon as I was able, I OD'ed on fast food (especially in college)! Not good.

Sounds exactly like me!
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Favor = returned
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was raised pretty much the same as you, as far as eating out is concerned.

We ate out on my dads payday fridays so that was every other friday. Other than that we (because we helped my mom cook) made every dinner, lunch & breakfast.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    As a kid, we never ate out except when travelling. Fast food was a rare treat which we got sometimes if we behaved on long car trips. Otherwise we ate at "real" restaurants.
  • Apyl32
    Apyl32 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Maybe once every 3 months. And if we did it was from a pizza place we had near us.
  • treeniemarie
    treeniemarie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    FOr us it was maybe once or twice a year if that. My parents were about saving money. And my dad hated Mcdonalds!. It was very rare we ate out at all unless it was some family get together and my family never got a long to have many of those
  • Bean515
    Bean515 Posts: 97
    Options
    It didn't quote?
  • Bean515
    Bean515 Posts: 97
    Options
    I started eating out when I was about 16.

Since then I do it every chance I get.

late bloomer... I was probably 14.

That's because you hadn't met me yet greggie.