Intermittent fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Would that work or do you need to be eating every 30mins or something during the feeding window?

eat whenever you like during the feeding window. Doesn't matter. It's not eatting outside of it that's the problem.

For the first week you'll be hungry and feel pangs here and there. Black coffee and water can take the edge off that.

After the first week you'll adapt to the fasting window and it won't be as bad. After that, you'll not be dependant on food every 3 hours and not be hungry during your fasts.

Does that include protein shakes? I usually wake with breakfast and a shake at 7am so basically still do the same but at 10am (in my eating window)
    Keep water intake the same? Still keep food clean?

The plan calls for no calories outside the feed window. The point is to fast for 16 hours and feed for 8... fasting is faster, so no cals.

As others have said, you'll probably be hungry (especially early on) so water/0cal drinks will be a big help.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I lost over 30lbs using I.F

It was life changing and I'd recommend it anyone!

Do you spend any time on a more traditional eating schedule with similar calorie intake?

I've never changed my calorie intake as I do not count calories. Never have and never will. The only thing I incorporated was the fasting and eating window. My food choices hardly changed.

ok, thanks. Then there's no way to know if your intake changed while IFing?
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options

But eating the same amounts of the same food would equal the same amount of calories regardless of whether I counted them or not. The only difference being when I ate them, not what I ate.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    I've never changed my calorie intake as I do not count calories. Never have and never will. The only thing I incorporated was the fasting and eating window. My food choices hardly changed.

Then you literally have no idea if your calorie intake changed or not.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

But eating the same amounts of the same food would equal the same amount of calories regardless of whether I counted them or not. The only difference being when I ate them, not what I ate.

True, but 90% of people DON'T eat the same amount when they go from a 12-18hour feed window down to 8 hours. And if you didn't track, you can't say for certain.

I'm not saying you didn't, I'm just saying I find it hard to believe, especially considering what sounds like a significant change in progress/weight loss IFing vs not.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options

True, but 90% of people DON'T eat the same amount when they go from a 12-18hour feed window down to 8 hours. And if you didn't track, you can't say for certain.

I'm not saying you didn't, I'm just saying I find it hard to believe, especially considering what sounds like a significant change in progress/weight loss IFing vs not.

I guess no, I can't say for certain. Not with any numbers to back it up anyway.

All I know is what I ate before IF, I continued to eat during IF. (Again, no numbers to support me) and it just kinda' worked.

I'd still recommend it though as it suits my lifestyle perfectly. Good luck, bro
  • floodedlungs
    Options
    I'm actually pretty interested in trying IF at some point.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I guess no, I can't say for certain. Not with any numbers to back it up anyway.

All I know is what I ate before IF, I continued to eat during IF. (Again, no numbers to support me) and it just kinda' worked.

I'd still recommend it though as it suits my lifestyle perfectly. Good luck, bro

I think that's a big key to success, especially long term success... finding an approach that suits you.
  • wattsy84
    wattsy84 Posts: 123
    Options
    It all seems to stack up quite well for me so I'm trying it, 10am-6pm feed window, counting calories and still logging eating TDEE -10% let's see if it works for me! Glad I asked about it now ;)
    Thanks for all your help
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Been reading up about intermittent fasting for lean gains, think of trying something new as ive been stuck for a few months now! Anyone tried it? Basically not eating for 16hrs then eating all your macros in 8 hour period then starting again?
    I'm thinking of trying it as I'm always binge eating at night and going over my deficit, only problem is I'm very active with a TDEE of around 3000!

Does it really work? Is it worth trying for a week or 2?

Sounds like you need to learn some self control not engage in a magical diet

I wouldnt exactly say this is a magical diet. It is a way of living. There are a lot of people who actually abide by this naturally.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    So if it all boils down to calories in vs calories out and staying in defecit, then what's the point of IF?

It's a lifestyle choice. I have two small kids and an elderly lady that I take care of full time (with my kids at work with me). So, I have three people to get ready, feed, clean up after, take care of etc. It's so much easier to not have to take time to fix or eat my breakfast. I also don't want to take the time or energy to feel myself 5-6x a day. I like to keep things simple. It's freedom from the responsibility and obsession with food for part of my day.

Another is that I like to eat BIG meals. I like to eat 1000 calories of pancakes (homemade whole wheat of course) or have a 500 calorie bowl of oatmeal for a nighttime snack.

It's all about what YOU want to do. There are no rules. Like breakfast? Eat it. Like to eat every two hours? Eat that way. I stop eating by 8-9pm and usually break my fast from 12-1pm. It works for me. It's not used as punishment or some magical diet or a means of starvation. I believe it is necessary have the right mindset and a healthy relationship with food to fast intermittently.
  • AncientLullaby_
    Options
    I see t with same benefits as a cheat meal... when it is too much it is bad... once in a while it is good!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I wanted to try IF at one point because school was so hectic, and it would have been nice not to have to eat bfast and make a lunch to bring. But I had a hard time adjusting. I can't think in class when I'm hungry. If I stuck with it, maybe things would have changed, but I didn't.
  • wattsy84
    Options
    I am normally a breakfast man but it means I can stay in bed a little longer lol I struggle to feel full with 4-5 meals a day so I'm hoping this will help, had a lot of birthdays last 2 weeks ( mine,wife's and daughters) so I may have to start next week a fresh as I'm not in the right mindset with all this cake around lol
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY suggest that if you are interested in the 16/8 (daily) style of intermittent fasting that you go to the 'source'; www.leangains.com and read up on it.

I think that trying to ask all of your questions here may be leading to a bit of overcomplication of something that is really very simple. It will also explain why calories are still king, and that IF is merely a lifestyle tool for those who don't think that the all-mighty 6-meal a day regimine is for them.
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Yeh I had a look at leangains some good info there!
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Just a question on cheat days, would you keep them in your eating window? So treat myself to a few extra calories but keep it within my feeding window? One day a week!