Sugar

Options
lee112780
lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
I'ts about that time I quit using sugar once and for all. Not only to help lose weight, but for my health. Lots of people in my family have diabetes, and I know it's coming for me if I continue with all the sweets. So, I've decided to stop using sugar in my coffee and tea. I'm drinking green tea now though, with nothing in it, its pomegranate flavored, it's gross! I'm so used to sugar...how do I kick the habit?

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    natural sweeters might help you through it but use even those sparingly:wink: Honey, agave, stevia etc.

Definitely wanna be careful getting caught up in the artificial sugars if at all possible or at least read up on them well before even considering them. Some on here use them, some consider them unsafe, so probably best to decide for yourself.

One thing I noticed was the longer I was away from sugar the less sweet foods I was even interested in. So weaning yourself off it by using a tad of honey in the tea for a bit might do the trick. BUT honey can also raise your Glucose level so that's why you'd want to use it carefully. Perhaps try various teas and see if you find another you enjoy more that doesn't have a need for a sweetner?

Good Luck!
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'ts about that time I quit using sugar once and for all. Not only to help lose weight, but for my health. Lots of people in my family have diabetes, and I know it's coming for me if I continue with all the sweets. So, I've decided to stop using sugar in my coffee and tea. I'm drinking green tea now though, with nothing in it, its pomegranate flavored, it's gross! I'm so used to sugar...how do I kick the habit?

I must admit I do use sweeteners. they are 0.5 calories in each one so it is a big difference from one teaspoon of sugar which has 20 :laugh:

My thinking goes along these lines - I have an extremely sweet tooth and if it wasn't for the fact that sweet stuff puts on weight, well it did in my case anyway - I would eat sweets, cakes and chocolate all day, every day and enjoy every damned minute of it. The reality is, that it does pile on my weight, therefore I cut it ALL out - all except sweet tea and coffee - I cannot abide unsweetened tea or coffee. Therefore, if I have sweeteners, that is a hell of a lot better than I was doing.

For goodness sake, don't make yourself gag when trying to drink tea just because it is gross, if you are cutting everything else out, find a sweetener, whether it be honey or artificial and enjoy your tea, it's not as if you will be sitting there drinking it all day anyway is it :flowerforyou:

(Besides, if you detest it, there is no way you would be able to drink it indefinitely, you will rebel in the end. This is a lifechanging eating habit business, so start only as you know you can go on) x
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

I must admit I do use sweeteners. they are 0.5 calories in each one so it is a big difference from one teaspoon of sugar which has 20 :laugh:

My thinking goes along these lines - I have an extremely sweet tooth and if it wasn't for the fact that sweet stuff puts on weight, well it did in my case anyway - I would eat sweets, cakes and chocolate all day, every day and enjoy every damned minute of it. The reality is, that it does pile on my weight, therefore I cut it ALL out - all except sweet tea and coffee - I cannot abide unsweetened tea or coffee. Therefore, if I have sweeteners, that is a hell of a lot better than I was doing.

For goodness sake, don't make yourself gag when trying to drink tea just because it is gross, if you are cutting everything else out, find a sweetener, whether it be honey or artificial and enjoy your tea, it's not as if you will be sitting there drinking it all day anyway is it :flowerforyou:

(Besides, if you detest it, there is no way you would be able to drink it indefinitely, you will rebel in the end. This is a lifechanging eating habit business, so start only as you know you can go on) x
    Excellent points!:drinker: :wink:
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I started this week cutting out sugar. I'm following Jorge Cruise Belly Fat Cure of 6 servings of carbs and 15 grams of sugar and also the calorie restriction of MFP. I'm not following the book to a T because you can't get a lot of those specialty items in my area. I've did it two days and weighed this morning and I was down 2.8 lbs. Goes to show what a role sugar plays in our health. Now is it something I can sustain...I don't know...it's tough...I'm just taking it a day at a time.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I started this week cutting out sugar. I'm following Jorge Cruise Belly Fat Cure of 6 servings of carbs and 15 grams of sugar and also the calorie restriction of MFP. I'm not following the book to a T because you can't get a lot of those specialty items in my area. I've did it two days and weighed this morning and I was down 2.8 lbs. Goes to show what a role sugar plays in our health. Now is it something I can sustain...I don't know...it's tough...I'm just taking it a day at a time.
    I've seen it mentioned a few times tonight and not sure what I think after I read through what it's all about. I definitely agree about cutting back carbs, but curious why he promotes beer and wine but no fruit or root veggie such as carrots, and a number of other veggies are allowed in his 'diet'.

Also was reading on his site he doesn't endorse EXCERCISE??? That definitely raised a red flag, at least to me. Why would someone suggest NOT working out for weightloss??. Just thought it was odd is all. :ohwell:

It's being compared it to Southbeach and Atkins. Sounds a bit like a 'diet' to me:huh: . I'm in it for the long haul, something I will keep up for life. He talks about 'when you're DONE' you can add a piece of fruit when you no longer have a fat belly???? :::insert eyeroll here::::

Hey, just what I read in his book on Amazon and well, it's all over the web in excerpts and on his site. But you can eat lots of protein and LOTS OF FAT. :sick: yum yum

Bacon but no apples? :noway: nah, I like bacon once in a blue moon but not everyday for life, I'd much rather mix up my foods and keep the carbs lower and the fats down as well.

Becca
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I've seen it mentioned a few times tonight and not sure what I think after I read through what it's all about. I definitely agree about cutting back carbs, but curious why he promotes beer and wine but no fruit or root veggie such as carrots, and a number of other veggies are allowed in his 'diet'.

Also was reading on his site he doesn't endorse EXCERCISE??? That definitely raised a red flag, at least to me. Why would someone suggest NOT working out for weightloss??. Just thought it was odd is all. :ohwell:

It's being compared it to Southbeach and Atkins. Sounds a bit like a 'diet' to me:huh: . I'm in it for the long haul, something I will keep up for life. He talks about 'when you're DONE' you can add a piece of fruit when you no longer have a fat belly???? :::insert eyeroll here::::

Hey, just what I read in his book on Amazon and well, it's all over the web in excerpts and on his site. But you can eat lots of protein and LOTS OF FAT. :sick: yum yum

Bacon but no apples? :noway: nah, I like bacon once in a blue moon but not everyday for life, I'd much rather mix up my foods and keep the carbs lower and the fats down as well.

Becca

Yeah I thought it was odd about the exercise but if you read the book it does promote some exercise...of course probably not to the level that most of us need or require to be able to lose weight. I think it depends on the person too. Some people lose weight better just restricting calories, others really have to watch the carbs. The thing I didn't like was if you sign up for the website or "free" newsletter they are always wanting you to buy something else. It was a little too gimmicky so I'm just picking out the parts that I think will work for me.
  • resa13
    resa13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What is MFP, i am also following Jorge Crusie diet, don't remember those Initials. It is working for me. The cravings have gone down quite a bit.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    What is MFP, i am also following Jorge Crusie diet, don't remember those Initials. It is working for me. The cravings have gone down quite a bit.
    What is MFP?? It's the site you're on right now! MyFitnessPal:heart: