30 day shred question

Options
I started this program last night (hope to actually finish it this time).

I have 2 problems...

I have hyperextended tendons in my left wrist.. and I can't bear the weight on it for a push-up? (The free weights feel fine) --- suggestions on what should I do while they're doing push ups???

2nd -- I have S-type scoliosis.. and when I try to do the bicycle crunches I get a HORRIBLE, sharp pinching pain in my lower back on the left side.... Should I just go back to the other crunches during this move?

I definitely don't want to give up. I just need ideas on something else to incorporate.

Replies

• GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    problem 1# can you find a modified version that won't hurt you so much on you tube.

problem #2 do you think you can substitute another ab work out in place of the bicycle crunch that won't make it painful for you
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    If your wrist can handle it you could do wall push ups in stead, or just dont do them and do the whole set of the squat and press, and im sure just regular crunches would be fine.
  • prettyeyez55
    prettyeyez55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just started last night also. I get a pain too with the bicycle crunches. Tonight I am going to do regular crunches in place of them till i get a litte more comfortable
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    for the push-ups I have seen suggestions for wall pushups before.. not sure if this would still hurt your wrists or not.

For bicycle crunches I get really bad pains in my lower back a lot too.. I think my tailbone is too pointy or something it hurts even with a pillow under it. What worked for me was to bring the opposite knee in with the opposite arm but leave my other leg as it would normally be for a regular crunch. Just switch the rotation. For me lifting both up was really painful on the back
  • aschmidt679
    aschmidt679 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Have you tried push ups on the dumbbells? I only do pushups this way now and it seems to take a lot of the pressure off of the wrists.
  • smithntuck
    smithntuck Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have carpel tunnel, and the push ups didn't hurt at first, but after day 6, I woke up in so much pain...had to rest it for about 4 days. Now I do them on my fists because my wrists stay straight. Can almost do as many, and I feel that it's working my chest more this way as well.
  • Tabby1216
    Tabby1216 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Do you do the pushups modified (on your knees) or regular (on your toes)? If you are doing them regular, I would try modified to see if that helps. If you are doing modified, I would try doing wall pushups. You can also adjust how far apart your hands are...move them farther apart or closer together.

As for the bicycle crunches, maybe don't extend your leg (the one that you straighten) as much or don't rotate your trunk as much. You could also just do a different crunch since the others don't bother you or try windmills instead.
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I can't do bicycle crunches because of lower back problems so I just do more normal crunches :)
  • jessannprice
    jessannprice Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!