Options
bushokie
bushokie Posts: 180 Member
Biggest piece of advice you’d give someone working on losing a lot of weight

Replies

• crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I know that sounds like a given but it's true. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. There are going to be days when you'll have zero motivation to workout and will want to eat everything in sight. Just fight through those obstacles. When you lack motivation JUST DO IT. The motivation will come, sometimes you just have to start first. There will be days were you may think "I have too much weight to lose. I can't do this" DO NOT LISTEN. Ignore the negativity when it creeps in.

And compliment yourself. Even if you just walked an extra mile, or lifted a little more weight. You did something you couldn't do before and you should acknowledge it and be proud of it!!

Quotes to live by:
    "When life knocks you down, do a burpee!"
    "You can either throw in the towel, or use it to wipe the sweat off your face"
  • bushokie
    Options
    your living proof it can be done thanks
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Consistency!! You need to do this day in and day out. There is no easy way or short cut. Just hard work and hard decisions each and every day. I have given up a lot of social functions this last year because I knew that I would not be able to control my food intake once I was there...but there will always be holidays, parties, special occasions...so you just have to decide what you want more right now. I gave up Thanksgiving this last year to make my Onederland goal...I can always eat next year :bigsmile:
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Consistency!! You need to do this day in and day out...
    ^^ This...

I would add MAKE the time, don't "try to find" the time. I know people who "try to find the time" to exercise and eat right, and they fail.

Those who make the time and are consistent with their effort, tend to be very successful in reaching their goal.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    it isn't the person that can run the fastest that gets to the top of the mountain first, it's the person who doesn't slow down.

a quote from my SPIN INSTRUCTOR hahaha. but no seriously, it baked my noodle when he said it and i feel like he was talking to me directly.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • ericnealdavis
    ericnealdavis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For me its not denying myself the foods I love. I've tried restrictive diets and they always failed. Eat what you like, make healtier choices whenever you can, but watch the calories.
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the big picture. Take it one day at a time one healthy choice at a time, one workout at a time. STOP looking at it as a diet, it is a lifestyle.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Get the garbage out of the house.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    This sounds silly - but I try to think like a thin fit person. I've lost 70 pounds and kept it off for 20 years, with three kids in the mix. When I would put on a few pounds, I would get my mindset back to thinking like a thin person - which, for me, means - I can enjoy the foods I love but eat them responsibly; I feel good when I exercise; I stop eating before I am full; I don't have to eat that now - I can have it anytime I want (especially when I don't really want a dessert or treat but it is there). Once I start asking what a thin person would say or do, my behavior changes and I lose the few extra pounds.

I spent 20 years thinking like an obese person - it is a journey, but it is an achievable one!

You can do it - stick with it.
  • wormy80
    wormy80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bushokie
    Options
    thanks everyone great ideas
  • bpointer01
    Options
    I know that it is a polarizing topic but eating back my exercise calories changed my life. I stopped being hungry and that made all the difference for me.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It's a mental battle. You have to decide to do things (eat right, wake up early to go to the gym, etc.) before you actually do them, and you are more likely to sabotage yourself with negative or defeatist thinking than through physical difficulties or setbacks. Also, you are far more likely to succeed when you think positively and determinedly about your healthy lifestyle, and when you give yourself positive feedback for your successes -- major and minor.

Starting this journey will also more than likely bring out mental and emotional struggles that you may have to confront in order to be successful. That's a good thing -- face into it with strength and find people who love you to support you through it.

One last bit: moving is fun and eating healthy is delicious -- you just have to give yourself time and permission to find something you enjoy as your workout and a healthy food plan you truly enjoy eating. Make your healthy life an enjoyable life.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I know that it is a polarizing topic but eating back my exercise calories changed my life. I stopped being hungry and that made all the difference for me.

YES! Love this.
  • Kevintron2
    Kevintron2 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Be determined, persistent, and keep goals obtainable. Success is the best motivator!!
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    great thread! I echo: make is a lifestyle, not a diet! I've previously lost 128lbs and I'm losign it again (plus some) because I slowly went back to my old ways.

I love the "think like a thin person" suggestion!

...and also "don't focus on the big picture" I have to constantly remind myself of that. I get over whelmed if I think I have to lose over 100lbs... ans start thinging it is a lost cause. It is much easier to handle if I think of it week by week or month by month.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    PATIENCE. Loads and loads of abundant patience.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Biggest piece of advice you’d give someone working on losing a lot of weight

It takes time don't expect immediate results !!1

Keep taking steps forward don't revert to bad habits small steps but keep them constantly moving in the right direction.
  • bushokie
    Options
    thanks again
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!