Front Loading Breakfast

Options
Greetings...
Just curious... I've started "front loading" (for lack of a better term) my calories at breakfast time to feel more full during the day... Does anyone else do this or has anyone else found this helpful? Thanks

Steve

Replies

• JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi! I don't really do that with a focus on calories...but I do often times do this with a focus on protein. I find that when I have a high protein breakfast that I'm less likely to be hungry during the day and I have way less cravings for anything.
    Those I've noticed are my best days - I don't have to put as much effort into "being good".
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Similar ditto to what Jesse said. I played around with different things for breakfast and found that a higher protein breakfast suited me best. I'd try out several different things for a little bit and see how your body responds. I had tried eating a big breakfast, but I was still eating a ton at night. Now that I have more protein in my diet (I know I function better on proteins/fats than carbs) I don't eat nearly the same portions I did before, when I was trying to do things like whole wheat toast or oatmeal and fresh fruit for breakfast.
  • kirkyme
    kirkyme Posts: 7
    Options
    Hmm, I'm struggling with big carby breakfasts, perhaps I should try protien breaky too

What sort of things do you suggest? Eggs or?
  • kirkyme
    kirkyme Posts: 7
    Options
    Hmm, I'm struggling with big carby breakfasts, perhaps I should try protien breaky too

What sort of things do you suggest? Eggs or?
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I try and go by the adage:

Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.

This gets harder when eating dinner out with family, in which I try and balance it out throughout the day (if I know ahead of time).
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Greetings...
    Just curious... I've started "front loading" (for lack of a better term) my calories at breakfast time to feel more full during the day... Does anyone else do this or has anyone else found this helpful? Thanks

Steve

I always have protein for breakfast, fills me up and stops me wanting to binge or pick at rubbish.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I also agree that protien and good fiber in the morning is a good start to the day.

I'm a believer in daily Carbs (55%), with fat-free grains, many Veggies and fruits, Water (lots), Protien (25%) and Fat (20%), with only 10g of saturated fat within that 20% of fat. When I front-load my protiens, I have to really watch the fats and protien levels for the rest of the day.

Have fun with your new way of life. This is a good habit to learn and follow. :drinker:
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I agree with a nice protein breakfast, I eat my bulk of calories at lunch. It works better for me. I get up and go to bed early so I can usually eat a small dinner and hold off unitl bed. If I get hungry after dinner I try to stick with fresh fruit and veggies as a snack. And protein breakfast keeps me going until lunch. I do egg whites to make it lower cal and turkey bacon, but sometimes I'm surprised at how much I can eat for breakfast and stay under 300 cals by doing a low fat, high protein breakfast.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 18
    Options
    kirkyme - When I'm focused on the high protein breakfast I usually do go with eggs - two or three of them. I eat the yolk too. And will add whatever veggies I have like spinach, tomatoes, onions, zucchini, etc... Or I'll make a sandwich with whole grain/wheat bread and perhaps spread some cream cheese on it,.

To make it quick I scramble and microwave them for a couple of minutes - super fast and easy!

Personally, I'm not big on low fat. I find the fats are really helpful in filling me up and keeping me full too. Learned that when I was on a really strict Atkins type diet. Although I can't NOT have carbs and maintain that lifestyle for life, I did learn not to fear the fats. And the whole versions of products like cheese, taste better full fat so are more satisfying to me - so, I don't feel deprived. Also, I am more sensitive to sugar and low fat products often have more sugars added - go figure.

Other things I like that help offset the AM carbs for me:
    adding a cheese or peanut butter on my toast - it is better than butter or jam and will add a bit of protein
    Kashi cereals - especially the go lean crunch - sooo good and higher in fiber and protein than others I've found
    left over chicken, or other meats
    turkey lunch meat rolled around string cheese stix
    two strips thick sliced real bacon microwaved
    or sometimes will grab a pack of nuts (almonds best) at convenience store
    Morning star veggie patties or sausages are pretty good too (except I don't like the links version myself)

Hope this helps :)