Take a look at my diary.

Options
I've hit a plateau. My scale is barely moving and my body is staying the same shape as usual (I want to add more muscle and lean out more) after looking at my diary is it possible I'm not eating enough? I do Crossfit 4-5x a week for an hour usually and sometimes do extra cardio in the morning.

I've also started an 80% Paleo diet recently. Please take a look at my diary and tell me what I can do to get over this plateau.

Thanks!

Replies

• GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    is your diary open to public? if so I can view it and see if I can help you
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I don't think your diary is public.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Diary not public, but if your eating under 1400 calories a day and not eating exercise calories.. then your not eating enough with crossfit.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    your diary is closed...I'm going to guess that yeah, you're not eating enough with everything you're doing
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Your diary isn't open or public.
  • sarahmaedzz
    sarahmaedzz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that! Thought I had it open. Please look now.
  • sarahmaedzz
    Options
    Diary not public, but if your eating under 1400 calories a day and not eating exercise calories.. then your not eating enough with crossfit.

I've opened it now. I'm above 1400 to start out with and try to eat back my exercise calories but I assume I'm not eating enough of them back.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    (I want to add more muscle and lean out more) after looking at my diary is it possible I'm not eating enough? I do Crossfit 4-5x a week for an hour usually and sometimes do extra cardio in the morning.

This is a contradiction. You need calories to gain muscle. If you eat enough protein while on a calorie deficient and lift heavy objects, then you can keep the muscle you have and add a little bit of strength. Cardio isn't going to help you now, especially if you're doing Paleo. I am with 75% primal lifestyle, and it's really the balance of your carb intake to level your insulin.

Don't go super low carbs since you do crossfit and can burn the energy, but if you want to burn fat, then eat at a deficiency (and not too far under the MFP suggested amount) so you can have better levels of ketosis (burning fat over carbs).

Please make your diary public, or add me as a friend if you want.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I would say you're definitely not eating enough. I'd be starving if I ate that little. I think you'd be happier with your progress if you upped your calories more.
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    What is your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)? If it's more than 1200, you're eating to little. You have to eat in between your BMR and your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) to lose weight. There are plenty of BMR and TDEE calculators, easily accessible through Google. Your BMR is what they'd feed you if you were - G-d forbid - in a coma. You need to eat MORE than that EVERY SINGLE day.
  • sarahmaedzz
    Options
    My "goal" everyday is 1560 and even with that I'm having a hard time meeting it.

I wonder how I can up this. I eat when I'm hungry and never go to bed with a growling stomach. I want to be sure that I'm filling up on healthier things too instead of just eating more to reach my calorie goal and it being junk.
  • sarahmaedzz
    Options
    What is your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)? If it's more than 1200, you're eating to little. You have to eat in between your BMR and your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) to lose weight. There are plenty of BMR and TDEE calculators, easily accessible through Google. Your BMR is what they'd feed you if you were - G-d forbid - in a coma. You need to eat MORE than that EVERY SINGLE day.

My BMR is 1422 according to an online resource.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Nuts, avocado, oils, lean proteins.

You are way under your calories. The other day you only netted about 500 calories. Yikes. If your goal is 1560 you should be netting that. No wonder why you've hit a plateau. Eat girl!!
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    are you drinking water?
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    My "goal" everyday is 1560 and even with that I'm having a hard time meeting it.

I wonder how I can up this. I eat when I'm hungry and never go to bed with a growling stomach. I want to be sure that I'm filling up on healthier things too instead of just eating more to reach my calorie goal and it being junk.

try peanut butter-I find it really helps me after a tough workout to have energy for the rest of the day (and get some calories and good fats in!) Peanut butter and an apple are my favorite snack right now. If you do low calorie things, try the full calorie ones. Have more snacks throughout the day to not only get more calories but more fuel for the workouts as well
    My BMR is 1422 according to an online resource

Which resource? I've used a couple that were the same (MFP was not). What I found that worked for me was I'd take my BMR and add in whatever calories I got for my workout. it might not work for everyone but for me it did.
  • sarahmaedzz
    Options
    are you drinking water?

Oh yes! My Camelbak and I are attached at all times lol. Besides morning coffee, I drink nothing but water.
  • sarahmaedzz
    Options

try peanut butter-I find it really helps me after a tough workout to have energy for the rest of the day (and get some calories and good fats in!) Peanut butter and an apple are my favorite snack right now. If you do low calorie things, try the full calorie ones. Have more snacks throughout the day to not only get more calories but more fuel for the workouts as well
    My BMR is 1422 according to an online resource

Which resource? I've used a couple that were the same (MFP was not). What I found that worked for me was I'd take my BMR and add in whatever calories I got for my workout. it might not work for everyone but for me it did.

I love PB, so that will be an easy one. I used calculator.net
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    You need to eat back you calories. Whatever you burn, you need to put back, you are starving your body, therefore your body is living off the stored fat in your body and you will NOT see change! I hit a plateau as well, and upped my calories and noticed some change. I went from 1570 to 1680. You are doing an intense workout and need to fuel that body. I do TRX 2-3 days a week, training for marathons and still weight lift, but I also eat my calories. Your muscles need that food. There are so many foods you can eat that are healthy and that can give you what you need. Try adding protein shakes to your meals. Good luck!
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but maybe also more protein and less carbs?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Rice with dinner helps its calorie rich and legims