Eating healthy, exercising and gaining fat and inches

Options
I've seen versions of this question on this site, but nothing ever seems to fit my situation. I've maintained the same weight for about 5 years now with no exercise and not really paying attention to my diet. Then all of a sudden, I gained 10 pounds in two weeks back in February out of nowhere. No change in diet or activity level. It literally happened almost over night. I decided it was time to get healthy and started eating right and cut out all the junk. I eat a ton of veggies and protein and I try to keep my carbs in check. I don't eat fast food or processed junk and I very rarely cheat. Nothing happened. In fact I just kept gaining. I started running almost every day for 6 weeks and the only results I got were my clothes being too tight. So, this month I switched it up and started doing a barre/cardio type class 4 times a week. My diet is still very healthy, but I am still up the ten pounds and gaining inches and fat. I've gained an inch in my love handles and two inches on my hips/thighs. It's so depressing and hard to stay motivated when nothing positive is happening. I've had to buy new pants because everything I've been wearing for years is way too small. I have not toned up or leaned out at all. I keep seeing posts about how maybe I need to eat more, but it doesn't make sense when the diet alone gave me not results. I've never been a big eater and I realize that I was probably under eating before (not intentionally) but I never felt like it. I just ate when I was hungry so it never occurred to me that it wasn't enough. I'd say an average would be about 1000-1200 calories a day. I'm 5'3 and have weighed betwee 103 and 105 for 5 years. I know youll say this is too skinny, but as I said, it wasn't on purpose. It's just how my body has always been. I have a very small frame and always felt and looked healthy. I in no way think that I'm fat or anything crazy like that. I just feel very frustrated as I am not longer comfortable in my body because I have gained ten pounds of fat and it doesn not look right on frame. I am all cellulite and lumps. All I wanted was to tone up and be leaner, but nothing is working at all and seems to be having the opposite affect. Any ideas as to what is wrong? I really dont care about the number on the scale and I havent been weighing myself. Ive only been using a tape measurer and everything is just getting bigger and bigger despite my workouts. As I said, I am NOT worried about being fat. I would just like to be comfortable and not squeezed into my clothes every day. It's been impossible to wear jeans because I had to go up two sizes to fit my thighs, but then they are too big everywhere else. I've upped my calories and I am trying to eat 1600 a day, but I feel over full and stuffed and bloated every time I eat that much. I feel like I'm always eating. Any constructive suggestions as to how I can tone up and get results? Every one I know is completely stumped as to why nothing is working. Once again, I DO NOT THINK I"M FAT nor do I have an eating disorder. I'm just small and always have been and would like to be comfortable in my clothes again.

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    The main response you'll get will be to start lifting weights.

So I'm going to throw it out there before anyone else does.

*Wins the game*

But seriously, you need to focus on the exercise aspect and find what works for you.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    No diary, no exercise log, no specific data that is typical of people who succeed. Sorry, don't have much objective to offer.

Oh one thing, see a doctor, you could have some medical condition that causes unexplained weight change.

Other than that, in my experience, most people that I see this happen to are in some degree of denial/rejection of reality on what they eat, how much, and what they exercise. (I was one of these people at one point). I also know they don't want to hear this perspective, but it is what it is.
  • otterish
    otterish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds in a month? What did your doctor say?
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound slightly insulting, but could you be pregnant? Similar situation in my first pregnancy. Working out like a feind. . eating well. Couldn't drop weight. Once I stopped and thought about it. . . I realized I hadn't had a monthly cycle in a while (I'm not very regular) and sure enough. . . pregnant.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Could you be pregnant? Are there any other hormonal changes you might be experiencing?

Edit: other poster beat me to it!
  • daisydaisy99
    daisydaisy99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You should think about having your tyroid checked by your doctor - it doesn't make any sense that you eat well, exercise and gain weight, especially if it's fat your gaining and not muscle. A simple blood test at least will be able to confirm or rule out that something medical is going on!
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i would go to the doctor
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    Have you contacted your Dr? It could be a thyroid issue or like before someone said you could be pregnant. Looks like it might more of an issue then diet and exercise.
  • sheyennelilly
    sheyennelilly Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Something is up. You should not have gained 10 lbs in a month with your body size and maintaining for 5 years without even trying.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    that kind of weight gain in that short of time could be warning signs to something very serious also the inability to lose it make a doc appointment!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    see your doctor if you have truly had that kind of weight gain in such a small amount of time. Other than that, it's really hard to offer any advice if you don't have a diary we can look at.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    This is basically my exact story.....i was always just as you described, then all of a sudden weighing 105 was over. Never to return....i was always effortlessly small and short...but my gosh, it was a good life of eating whatever i wanted and barely exercising for many years.

Now...i think you will probably get many answers but they won't be from people who share your past. They will give you advice but there is nothing like the shock of just seeing your body change , you are much younger than i was when it happened. Could your estrogen levels be falling? Check with a dr of endocrine medicine.
  • IECdispatcher
    IECdispatcher Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree, you should see a dr. If the dr says its nothing, maybe you are eating too many calories? I was having a hard time losing, stopeed eating exercise calories, sticking with my 1200 calories and the weight started coming off. Are you logging everything?
  • rebeccakc47
    Options
    I actually do lift weights. I'm not one of those girls who is afraid of weights. I've done a lot of research on what to do and how to do it. Nothing helps :(
  • rebeccakc47
    Options
    I've been to the dr and had blood work done and my thyroid checked. All normal. My dr just says I'm "getting older" and making a big deal out of nothing. She doesn't see the weight gain as an issue. I calculated all of my TDEE and BMR stuff and I eat exactly what I should. I rarely eat more than 1300 a day and I keep track of everything. I went on vacation for a week and didn't work out or watch my diet and drank a bunch and looked better than I have since I started working out! Oh well. Ill just keep at it. Healthy is better than nothing I guess.
  • iwo_jima
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing, accept I am a waknee, not a runner. I have irregular periods and hope it's hormonal. Otherwise, you are doing everything right, so who knows. If you get any new information lmk. It seems like it happens.