Sheesh, what is wrong with me?

Options
Ok...
Last night I precooked and measured out and divided up the food that I planned to eat today and tomorrow, minus fresh veggies, fruit, etc.

Well, I started out great - oatmeal for breakfast, ground turkey with whole wheat pasta for lunch - and THEN about an hour after lunch I devoured about 5 cookies that the kids made last night. What's up with THAT? I must not wanna lose my fat too badly I guess...

I feel so defeated. I know that tomorrow is another day, but still. Why do we do this to ourselves?

Tami :sad:

Replies

• tamidoty
    Options
    Ok...
    Last night I precooked and measured out and divided up the food that I planned to eat today and tomorrow, minus fresh veggies, fruit, etc.

Well, I started out great - oatmeal for breakfast, ground turkey with whole wheat pasta for lunch - and THEN about an hour after lunch I devoured about 5 cookies that the kids made last night. What's up with THAT? I must not wanna lose my fat too badly I guess...

I feel so defeated. I know that tomorrow is another day, but still. Why do we do this to ourselves?

Tami :sad:
  • aljones0882
    Options
    Don't kill yourself with guilt. So, what you ate 5 cookies; tomorrow is another day. I find that if I get wrapped up in guilt over making bad food choices then I start feeling hopeless, and then I end up giving up. One bad choice does not ruin all of your good choices! Remember this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon! We're in this for the long haul and every now and then you need to indulge yourself. I am trying to quit saying "cheat" and start thinking of it as "treat." Have a treat day and then when you want that cookie you can focus on having it on your "day."
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    First of all, there's nothing wrong with you.

Here's a question to ask yourself:

are you eating often enough? I find that without snacks, I'm hungry, and therefore more likely to eat the wrong thing. You might have been just plain hungry.

are you eating something other than the cookies? I mean were you stressed, mad, bored, tired, sad, stressed, annoyed, celebrating, stressed ('tis the season to be stressed)

Why do we do this to ourselves? That's the million dollar question.....

V:flowerforyou:
  • alymarest
    Options
    I feel your pain!! :cry: I do the same thing you did all the time.
    i'll see something that i want and i cant stop thinking about it untill i eat it and then I can't stop eating!!
    But you have no choice but to move past it, because what's done is done.
    :ohwell:
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with you. You are human. This kind of thing happens to all of us from time to time.
    When there is something like that in your house, is there someone that can take it and put it where you can’t find it or get to it? My husband does that for me.
    If I don’t know where something is I can’t eat it. There are just some things if they are here they will end up in my mouth…..we all have our weaknesses. :grumble:

:flowerforyou:
  • filergirl
    Options
    I make mistakes like that all the time! And I don't just do it with food. Let me give you an example:

I worked really hard to get over this guy I had fallen in love with. I mean, I worked REALLY hard, cold turkey, didn't talk to him for more than three years.

Then, one day, after doing everything right for so long, I decided to have brunch with him.

I ended up getting my heart broken all over again. Worse still, I had just purchased my first home, and he was pretty much the first person in it, so I felt horrible even being there. I felt like I had negated all the work I'd done and that everything was basically ruined, my whole life was over because I was obviously a hopeless idiot.

Then I realized that it was just a mistake. Yeah, it was a big mistake. But it's not relevant to the future, and it doesn't change all the work I did in the past. All of that is me. That is who I am. No "slip ups" or mistakes can take any of that away from me.

Why do i share this? Because it puts into perspective that your mistakes do not define anything about you. It's the overall committment to the day-to-day details of your life, over the long-term, that transform you. That's what I keep telling myself over and over . . .

The one theme I keep hearing on here is "I screwed up, I made a mistake, I'm so frustrated, my diet's gone to hell." Why do we beat ourselves up for our mistakes, when other people would just say, "gee, maybe I shouldn't have eaten that. . ." and move on and not obsess over it? I think people who struggle with their weight tend to think very much in all-or-nothing terms, probably a function of perfectionism. For any long-term change to happen, none of us can just count calories -- we have to figure out why we stumble at a certain point. And for me, it's always "all or nothing" thinking. "I screwed this up so therefore, I suck in general . . ." which snowballs and leads to more problems down the line. A person's self esteem can only take so much!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    mehughes,

Thank you for a very insightful observation. Especially the "all-or-nothing" & "perfectionist" references. Awesome.

Cheryl
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with you. But I have noticed that people in general are emotionally needy. Not just here, but everywhere around us in every day life. Every one wants someone to say good job or I know you can do it, If they have someone in their life who is very supportive then maybe they don't need to post that they had a bad day. They can just share it with their significant other.and get the emotional support needed. But then you have people with no support system and that is where we come in. So I say if you had a bad day and need to post then do it and know that we all have done it ourselves and have probably at sometime posted here needing some support and feedback. I know I have.. Sometimes we just need to hear someone say it's going to be all right, just keep plugging away at it. It's ok. Know it will happen and don't think less of yourself for any reason. Just know you can start anew and post if you need the support.~Karen