Overcoming your weakness

Options
I was just wondering, What is everyone's weakness when it comes to eating stuff you know you shouldn't be? And how do you overcome the cravings :embarassed:

I usually tend to eat as lot more and eat a lot more of the wrong stuff when my partner is away, or when I am in physical pain.
Unfortunately this week both of those scenarios have been true, so Ive been finding it quite diffecult to stay on track.

Ive been playing lots of games and making plushies all week to try and distract myself but Ive been doing them so much Im now getting bored and finding myself in the fridge too often for comfort.

PLease share what your weaknesses are and what you do to show them whos boss, I could use a few ideas on how to keep myself from hrowing myself into the cupboards every hour or so. :explode:

Replies

• ZeeCee72
    ZeeCee72 Posts: 12
    Options
    Well, sweets (LOVE cakes, pies, cookies, ice cream..YOU NAME IT!:bigsmile: ) and breads (I'm a southerner..we're used to having some form of bread -biscuits, yeast rolls, cornbread, etc.- at every meal!!!:laugh: ) are my biggest weaknesses and I've cut them out of my diet to get my weight loss rolling again. See, I KNOW for a fact those items make me gain weight f-a-s-t! Whenever I cut them out of my diet for a while..the first few days are horrible! I go through a withdrawal period like a drug addict..seriously:embarassed: ...but after a few days without them... the cravings are not as strong. What I do to keep myself encouraged is..focus on something else I'm passionate about. For example...I LOVE clothes (love..love..love them!!!)...so I like to surf the web (or even get out of the house and window shop) for items that I normally wouldn't wear knowing that I soon will. Keeping my mind on things like that makes it easier to ignore the "hot sign" at Krispy Kreme Doughnuts and drive right on by Panera Bread Company without giving either of them a second thought! That would be my advice to you...get out of the house. Find something you enjoy doing..and do it! Good luck to you!!:smile:
  • bandnerd129
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I get cravings for random things, and I feel like I HAVE to get it...and then I'll fall off the bandwagon. So this time, I am trying to find alternatives to what I normally like to eat. For example, I am a sucker for a McDonald's quarter pounder and a fry. So, instead of getting that quarter pounder at that 800+ calories, I will go to McDonald's and get a hamburger happy meal with fries. I load myself up with water (although I don't have to do that as much anymore) and by the time I eat that happy meal, I am full and I am happy. I was surprised the first time I did this, because I was satisfied with what I ate.

Another thing I really like is Panda Express orange chicken. No matter whether I was super hungry or not, I would get the 2 entree's of orange chicken and steamed rice. over 1000 calories! Now, if I am just super craving Panda Express, I go on a day that I know I'm going to the gym, and I either get the kid's portion, or the bowl, which is just 1 entree and rice. It's still 800 calories, but as long as I work out and WATCH what I eat the rest of the day I'm still ok.

Thankfully, the more I do this program, the less I have these cravings. I know if I want something, I can usually find a substitute that's healthier for me. I also usually have a craving for a burger or orange chicken once a month or so, instead of every single week like a couple months ago. It's definitely a process, and one that I'm working extremely hard to overcome. I also make sure to load up on tons of water, so I'm not as hungry as I think I am. I get full much faster eating less than I used to.

I know I have a long way to go, but I know that with perserverance I can make it happen! Best of luck to you and next time you wanna reach for something unhealthy, reach for your favorite fruit and vegetable instead!
  • sunnysunsetbeaches
    Options
    I try to fast for one meals or two meals to get back the feeling of hunger. It reminds me of my goal and that it feels good not to overeat.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My weaknesses are EVIL. And I know they're evil so I try not to even touch them. Because if I have a bite, I may want the whole dang pan/bowl of it. I love anything sweet. Bars, Cakes, Chocolate.... and also salty things, chips and dip of any kind....

It's mind over matter with this for me, and I've just gotta pound it in my brain that all those foods is what made me have to join this site in the first place.

Be strong, we all face the food demons and are here to lean on one another for support! :)