Cals burnt with kettle bell workouts?..

Options
Could anyone give me an indication of how many cals are burnt during a kettle bell workout to input onto here please? I use 5KG and on average with google i've noticed its about 20cals per minute..? Sound about right, i don't have a heart rate monitor to measure accurately.

Thanks x

Replies

• whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The estimated 20 calories per minute is based on a study by the ACE with test subjects using 12kg, 16kg, or 20kg kettlebells (depending on gender, size, fitness level, etc) doing snatches continuously (maybe 24 per minute). So I would use caution when applying this calorie burn to anything less than a non-stop grueling KB workout with a relatively heavy KB. Depending on what you’re doing, you might want to log it as circuit training (if you’re not resting) or just weight lifting (if you are taking rests).

Good luck--I love KBs! :drinker:
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I do kettlebell workouts 3 times a week, using a 6kg kettlebell. I'm 5'8 and weigh 166lbs and I'm 26 weeks pregnant. I burn between 7-10 calories a minute and only between 11-12 calories a minute for a high intensity one that leaves me gasping for breath. Upping the weight would significantly increase your burn, but a lot will depend on your weight, height etc.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The thing is, most people aren't doing continuous heavy snatches. At least not for more than a few minutes at a time. I wouldn't use 20 cals per minute. Every workout is different, but most people use kettlebells in a circuit type training routine. I'd use something like 10 cals per minute or whatever MFP gives you for circuit training.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I burn 950 doing 55 minutes of Kettlenetics but thats the more advanced kettlenetic one and is like aerobic type excercise with the kettlebell. I have heard with doing normal lifting type kettlebells that its like 20.2 per minute supposedly.
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, download the app "mapmyrun", it has tons of workouts listed in it. Once you hit start will will start and depending on how long you do your workout will depend on your calorie burn.