(Novice Runner): Running Doubles?

Hi,

I am a novice runner who ran a marathon 2 years ago at a 9 min/mile pace. I'm trying to get back into shape for marathon this fall or early next year, and I feel that I am not making much aerobic fitness progress running 3 miles/day 3 days a week with a long run of 10 miles on saturdays. I wanted to appeal to the expertise of the advanced runners: what are your thoughts on running doubles during the week?

For example, my week would look like this:

Sunday: Bike/Walk
Monday: Off
Tuesday: 3 mi run (AM), 3 mi run (PM)
Wednesday: 3 mi run (AM), 4 mi run (PM)
Thursday: 3 mi run (AM), 3 mi run (PM)
Friday: Off
Saturday: Long run (10-15 miles depending on the week)

Keep in mind that the Tues-Thurs workouts are easy runs, with maybe tempo/hills/strides on Thursdays in the PM.

My current pace is 10 min/mi and I've been running for only 10 weeks now.

Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback.

Replies

• aecole87
    aecole87 Posts: 26 Member
    Have you looked into any of the Hal Higdon training programs? They are free and he has different levels for different runners. I'm currently doing his Novice Supreme program for a marathon this fall. If you haven't already, have a look at them. I know this doesn't address your doubles question, but just thought it might be helpful to tell you about them.

Happy running. :)
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    I agree with aecole87 Hal Higdon is a a great program I'm trianing for my 5th marathon and I have always used Higdon's programs. 2 days are fine, just listen to your body and rest as needed. I workout twice a day some days too, but I tend to lift weights durning the 2nd workout. Good luck on your race.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Oh! I've been wondering about this because I want to increase my mileage (gradually) to 25-30 instead of 20+ but I don't want to add a 5th day of running to my week!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I cannot help. But I know the Kenyan runners used to do two runs a day. And, I think, track athletes sometimes have two practices a day.
    I found this too. I do not know anything about this website.
    http://www.marathonnation.us/long-run/two-a-day-running-for-beginners/
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I run doubles several days a week but I think you would be better served right now getting your daily runs up to an hour before you double. Once you get them to an hour you could do something like 6/3.

I think that the shortness of all your daily runs is what is holding you back the most.