Frozen Yogurt

Options
i was thinking about trying this as a healthier alternative to ice cream

Does anyone have any thoughts on it?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with ice cream in moderation?
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    YUM! love froyo. haven't done the research to comment on healthier but I love it lol.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I like frozen yogurt....and I like ice cream......why do you have to choose one or the other?
  • KayteeB07
    KayteeB07 Posts: 341
    Options
    i was just wandering :) haha
    im trying to eat more healthier
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it i actually that much healthier but it is my favorite treat! Red Mango is my fave!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    it's essentially the same as ice cream.

a healthier alternative is a fruit smoothie with a little yogurt, or a bowl of fruit salad without yogurt, or like the pp mentioned, ice cream in moderation
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    My favourite frozen yogurt does happen to be "healthier" than traditional ice cream. I also just happen to enjoy frozen yogurt better than ice cream. Anything and everything in moderation, right?
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I like frozen yogurt....and I like ice cream......why do you have to choose one or the other?

^This.
  • alicevick3
    Options
    Frozen mango gives me the same feelin as ice cream give it a try.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

exactly. I love both! I do have a slight preference toward frozen yogurt because -taste waise- I like the way it mixes with fruit.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I like frozen yogurt. I use it to make my own milkshakes. I add some 1% milk, vanilla frozen yogurt, and peanut butter. Its very good, and pretty healthy too. Thinking about trying it with chocolate frozen yogurt :)
  • Staci64
    Staci64 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like frozen yogurt better, it's not as soft as ice cream, calorie-wise, theres not a huge difference, but enough that you can throw a TBSP of chocolate syrup on it:)
  • leelavic
    leelavic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion, other than ice cream/frozen yogurt.... frozen banana and strawberry, whipped up with a food processor... maybe add a bit of PB or almond butter to the banana: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/two-ingredient-banana-peanut-butter-ice-cream/

Or just enjoy some ice cream/frozen yogurt once in a while. Life is too short.
  • tcs1012
    tcs1012 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We go by Sweet Frog or Yahzee for frozen yogurt almost every Friday night.... YUM!! I usually get the sugar free vanilla or strawberry with fruit toppings.... soooo goood!!

I used to eat a bowl of ice cream for an evening snack almost every day but now I get a bowl of sherbet instead. I will still have ice cream (Blue Bell, of course) on days when I have enough calories left at the end of the day though.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I eat both also. I had a single serving cup of the blue bell chocolate ice cream last night before bed and I still lost 1.6 lbs by this morning!

Have what you want in moderation and enjoy it whether it is froyo or ice cream :)
  • KayteeB07
    Options
    thanks for the info everyone :D
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    if you mean a store like pinkberry or red mango, i think these kind of places are nice but can easily just turn as "bad" as ice cream when you add a bunch of toppings. I also feel like froyo is kind of a fad and when it dies down all of the franchises are going to go out of business...
    But as far as buying it by the gallon, it's worth a try. I enjoy just plain old froyo but there are lots of flavors and im sure you'll like one of them. A lot of people say it tastes exactly the same a ice cream but I definitely disagree. I can always tell the difference!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Frozen greek ciao bella is seriously yummy! And helps if you're struggling to gain enough protein in your diet.
  • ravenwork
    ravenwork Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Frozen yogurt is good, but healthier? I really don't think so, but there are some things in its favor.

First off, they both have about the same amount of sugar, unless you are referring to the artificially sweetened varieties, and let's just not go there....

Frozen yogurt will have less lactose in it, so it would certainly be better for lactose intolerant people. However, it generally won't be lactose free unless labeled as such, so people that are very sensitive should beware.

Frozen yogurt may contain active yogurt cultures, and would therefore be more healthy from the probiotic standpoint.

I would also add that in my experience the non-fat frozen yogurt can be pleasant, since the texture of yogurt when frozen retains a pleasant creaminess. I don't think it is even possible to make non-fat ice cream (ice milk I suppose it would be).

The sugar will still be there in both, thus empty calories, and questionable body chemistry effects.
  • KayteeB07
    Options
    haha i have no trouble with protein!