Where do I start?

Options
I have never really had proper nutrition. Growing up my mom was busy and we frequently ate out. That coupled with being busy and fast food being convient I have eaten myself to 215lbs to loose. I am motivated to loose this weight but I am so clueless where to start. I have been trying to just eat Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine etc but I know those are not great for you.

Does anyone have a good resource for learning HOW to eat? Simple instructions would be so helpful. Sometimes I just get lost in all of the information that I've found online, and one thing contradicts another or its so overly complicated its hard to find a starting point.

Thank you

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Start by logging everything you eat. Weigh and measure your food. Get an idea of just how many calories you're consuming a day. See where you can make swaps. Have fruits and vegetables for snacks instead of processed junk food. Switch to whole wheat pastas and whole wheat or rye bread. Use extra lean meats. A good rule of thumb is to not drink your calories. Ditch your juice for a glass of water and an actual piece of fruit, much more satisfying. If you drink regular soda, considering switching to diet and cutting back from there. Another good piece of advice I've heard is to shop the periphery of the grocery store as much as possible. The aisles tend to contained all the processed foods, while the fresh is on the perimiter. Obviously, for things like oatmeal and soups and sauces you'll go down the aisles.

Sparkpeople.com has a ton of good articles and info.
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I will check out Sparkpeople.com.
  • Charlie_Hooper
    Charlie_Hooper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar position - never having watched what I eat/focused on my nutrition.

I watch these guys for entertainment anyway, I think they're brilliant (because they make me laugh!), but I stumbled across this video and it's formed the basis of how I eat at the minute to lose weight.

The key things I took (I think) were details of what should make up a meal (amounts of carbs etc), and little things like not eating white potato, switching to wholemeal etc --- I won't go on, as all I'd be saying is stuff you can hear for yourself in the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP8ImSkwspA
  • Charlie_Hooper
    Charlie_Hooper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Start by logging everything you eat. Weigh and measure your food. Get an idea of just how many calories you're consuming a day. See where you can make swaps. Have fruits and vegetables for snacks instead of processed junk food. Switch to whole wheat pastas and whole wheat or rye bread. Use extra lean meats. A good rule of thumb is to not drink your calories. Ditch your juice for a glass of water and an actual piece of fruit, much more satisfying. If you drink regular soda, considering switching to diet and cutting back from there. Another good piece of advice I've heard is to shop the periphery of the grocery store as much as possible. The aisles tend to contained all the processed foods, while the fresh is on the perimiter. Obviously, for things like oatmeal and soups and sauces you'll go down the aisles.

Sparkpeople.com has a ton of good articles and info.

definitely agree with all of the above, especially monitoring what you eat (obviously as that's how I'm here, I use the app to do so!)
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    You don't need to learn everything from the start. I would think that could be pretty daunting...not to mention that it could give you an excuse to stall trying to eat healthier. Start somewhere relatively small that will give you a big impact, like starting to cook yourself dinner. There are a lot of really easy ways to make a lot of things that still taste good. You're going to want a protein, a starch, and veggies. Try some baked or grilled chicken or fish. Add some rice (brown is better for you than white), potatoes, or beans, whatever. There are about 80 million ways to make veggies - just about anything can be grilled or steamed or roasted...and those are just easy options. Wait to get into the more labor intensive recipes until you are starting to get a little bored with the easy stuff and you have started a pretty good pattern of cooking.

Making dinner gives you a lot of bang for your buck because you can use leftovers for lunches or other dinners. Throw leftover chicken on a salad the next day. Make fish tacos or shrimp quesadillas with leftover seafood. There are a lot of options when you cook with spices instead of sauces - and it's easier.

If you log your food here, remember that the protein goals are low, so you'll probably want to go over those.

You're going to be surprised by how much food you can/are supposed to eat when you start replacing junk food with healthier options.

I use Lean Cuisines as a fast food alternative for those days when I'm pressed for time or really just don't feel like cooking.

I think the most important thing to remember is that food and calories are not the enemy. Don't be afraid of food and don't jump so far and so fast into calorie counting that eating becomes cumbersome. Food is good. Enjoy it.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Log everything and eat more fresh fruits and veggies. Eat food high in protein (eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt) to stay fuller longer. Find your favorite veggies and make snack bags for yourself so you are less tempted to snack on unhealthy foods.
  • Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options

I agree with the above. In addition I would make fruit and vegetables a part of every meal. Fresh is best but frozen is a good option when fresh isn't available. Make sure you don't laden them with butter or other unhealthy toppings. Try a variety of different spices to enhance the taste without the calories.