Need help! Please read feeling defeated

Options
I am struggling to reach my 1200 calorie intake each day. I average between 900-1000 and am burning about 500-600 a day with my workouts. I'm a very picky eater & not a big eater. Can anyone suggest any foods that I could add that would be high in calories, yet healthy? Or a recipie for a protein shake that would be fruity tasting? I am very concerned that this is going to hurt my weight loss progress! Thanks for any help!

Replies

• skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Protein shake: 1 banana (very ripe), packet vanilla protein powder (or a scoop, whatever the powder's instructions are), 1-2 Tbsp. peanut butter or other nut butter, a few drops vanilla extract, (optional) handful of berries.

Add nuts, dried fruits, and honey to stuff - they add healthy calories really easy and really fast!
  • katherinelangley
    Options
    Small changes like changing your milk - if you have skimmed have extra or use semi skimmed, also can you up your portion sizes of protein and vegetables in your main meals?
    Cooking with extra virgin olive oil/nut oils will add in calories with healthy fats which our bodies love :) Snacking on nuts, dried fruits, cheese and crackers and avocados can also up your intake!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    What was your intake like before you started MFP? What sorts of things were you eating then?
  • ValMartin79
    ValMartin79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a green monster smoothie? I make it for after workouts and it has around 360 calories(depends on milk and if you add more to it, mine is basic). It is pretty good with your own tweaking. I drank the original recipe for a week but didn't like the milk. I now make it with Chocolate Almond Milk. So good! Here is the website http://greenmonstermovement.com/?cat=3
    There is also lots of user recipes, so many varieties.

Good Luck!
  • mlcrec
    mlcrec Posts: 66
    Options
    I am not sure on how many calories I was consuming but all I drank was soda and the food that I did eat was junk.
  • sayhitoshari
    sayhitoshari Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im having this problem as well and I wasn't sure if it really mattered AFTER I added in my exercise or if the calories only really mattered pre work out. I actually just asked this question on this board and then seen your post and I guess that answers my question. I don't feel hungry, so now its either, stop working out, or just eat to meet calories....
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    A large handful of 30 unsalted almonds = 211 Calories. Cook with Olive Oil. Use full fat dairy. Real butter. Peanut Butter. Avocado.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    some ideas for adding healthy calories:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Fruit,
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Brown rice
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Nut butters
    Avocados
    Olive oil
    Cheese
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Fruit,
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Brown rice
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon

Haha my list is sad compared to yours. Eat all those things! ^^
  • dwmaestradeb
    Options
    Nuts, avocado, Greek yogurt.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Could you open up your diary so we can see what sort of things you are eating - it will help suggest things that will fit in with what you do like...

In the meantime, anything around dried fruits and nuts are great for snacking. Avocado's for meals if you like them.... Eggs are good for protien as well....
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Fruit,
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Brown rice
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon

This is a great list. Adding more calorie dense foods like these will give you nutrients and calories without a lot of bulk. Also, cook or dress things with olive oil--120 cals per tablespoon. If you don't weigh and measure your food, it's also possible you're consuming more than you think. We tend to underestimate our portion sizes. It would help if you opened your diary so we could see what types of foods you're eating now.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Kashi brand cereals are another good choice, good for around 200 calories for 3/4 cup add in your milks too and that should add around 350 calories to your day.