Coconut milk vs Almond milk?

Options
What's better for you? I'm on a smoothie kick and I've been using diet ocean spray juices for the low sugar levels. But I've been hearing about coconut milk and also almond milk in smoothies. I'm confused between the two... which one is better for you? Or are they both good?

Replies

• sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've researched this a bit myself recently:
    Almond milk is pretty good for you. It's basically ground almonds and water. For me, I find it to be a tasty cow's milk substitute. It has the benefit of being lower calorie, but still provides good nutrition. It goes great in smoothies or over cereal. I like it in my coffee too.

For coconut milk, I assume you're talking about the relatively light kind that comes out of a carton, and not the thick syrupy stuff that comes out of a can. There are a lot of claims out there, but I think the jury is still out on the health benefits of coconut milk. It contains saturated fats. Some people claim that the saturated fat in coconut milk (MCFA) is healthier for you than the saturated fats in red meats (LCFA), but it is still being studied.

I do like the taste of coconut milk over cereal, and in smoothies or in my coffee too. It is lower-calorie than cow's milk, but I don't use it as much as almond milk.

My two cents.
  • mommyofoneinwi
    Options
    I buy Unsweetened Almond and Coconut milk mixed together. Yum and 45 calories per 8 oz.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    to me coconut milk tastes coconutty and almond milk not so much. so, while i like coconut milk, unless I want whatever im making to taste like coconut, i'd use almond! :)
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I buy Unsweetened Almond and Coconut milk mixed together. Yum and 45 calories per 8 oz.

What is the brand name of this? it sounds great!!
  • asizesix
    asizesix Posts: 134
    Options
    I drink Almond Fresh Coconut milk (almond/coconut milk blended into one!) it is AWESOME!
  • BDClemons
    BDClemons Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have personally used both. I now use Dairy Free Coconut Milk for smoothies, and just eat Almonds on the side or drink Almond Milk standalone. I may be fooling myself, but Coconut Milk seems to give my smoothies a better taste than Almond Milk.
  • ChaoticMum
    ChaoticMum Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    to me coconut milk tastes coconutty and almond milk not so much. so, while i like coconut milk, unless I want whatever im making to taste like coconut, i'd use almond! :)

Ditto this exactly! I use both depending on what I am doing. To drink straight up or with protein powder? Almond milk. In a smoothie that has pineapple? Coconut milk. I just buy the canned stuff,I shake it real good and use that. Or, I let it separate, use the water for smoothies and I whip up the cream to have over fruit!
  • ssoonniiaa_
    ssoonniiaa_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Based on your comments it seems like one is not better than the other... it just depends on what you're using the milk for and the flavor you want.. Thank you all for the replies. I've decided to buy both!! :happy: :drinker:
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options

What is the brand name of this? it sounds great!!

I like Blue Diamond Almond Breeze
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I love the coocnut milk that comes out of the carton. It is thick and creamy. I think almond milk has a thinner consistency. I drink both unsweetened. The coconut milk still has flavor. I love it :)
  • mlindahl
    mlindahl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was told by a doctor that Almond milk is better if you are worried about any of your cholesterol levels. I like them both. Cannot stand soy milk. Glad to have alternatives out there!
  • SuperKirby
    Options
    I was told by a doctor that Almond milk is better if you are worried about any of your cholesterol levels. I like them both. Cannot stand soy milk. Glad to have alternatives out there!

Thanks!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Silk Almond Vanilla & Coconut milk - 35 cals per 8 oz.

I did so solely because I like coconut (not so much for heath / nutrient reasons) and found my ON Choc - Coconut protein powder was not quite coconutty enough in water. Great morning treat and post-workout shake now - more protein than plain milk, less cals than plain milk, and that coconutty goodness!
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk to coconut milk because the coconut milks (Silk, Coconut Dream) that I've tried don't seem to have calcium fortification. Both are quite tasty to me, but I would otherwise have a tough time getting enough calcium in my diet otherwise.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Silk Almond Vanilla & Coconut milk - 35 cals per 8 oz.

I did so solely because I like coconut (not so much for heath / nutrient reasons) and found my ON Choc - Coconut protein powder was not quite coconutty enough in water. Great morning treat and post-workout shake now - more protein than plain milk, less cals than plain milk, and that coconutty goodness!

Agreed, I love the combo version.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Try Hazelnut Milk - fabulous!
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Try Hazelnut Milk - fabulous!

Where can you find this? Who makes this? I am so on it the minute I find some in my local grocery store. :smile:
  • lickerpoet
    Options
    Both are better than soy milk. Remove soy from your diet. Soy is a xenoestrogen. Soy is poison for men.

Almond milk may be constipating or cause bloating for some, definitely for me; so Almond Milk is off my menu.

Coconut milk takes a bad rap because of the saturated fat content; but all saturated fats are not created equal. Do not
    take my word for this. Do your own research. There is a big difference between plant based and animal based saturated
    fat.