tell me about nutritional yeast

Options
hookilau
hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
I've heard of it before but not really sure whether this is something I should add to our diet. Does anyone use this on the regular?....and if so, how? Please & thankyou :drinker:

Replies

• annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good question! I just came apon this the other day in a vegan recipe I want to try. I have no idea what it is and where to get it.... Sorry I am no help but I am eager to see responses! :-)
  • rabooka
    rabooka Posts: 2
    Options
    Do you mean Brewers yeast?
  • hookilau
    Options
    :smile: no worries, as someone once said, 'come sit beside me, tis well comfy' :drinker:
    We'll learn together :wink:
  • hookilau
    Options
    I don't think so, do I? Hmmmm, is it synonymous? That's the stuff some folks swear keeps fleas off the dog, if given as a supplement, no?
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's different than brewers yeast or the yeast you bake with. It's AKA "inactive yeast". It's good for vegans because it has a lot of B12 and other vitamins that aren't often found in the plant kingdom. You can use it in tofu scrambles or make a cheesy sauce with it. If you're a vegan who likes to cook you will probably want to have some on hand as a staple. You can get it from a health food store, and some even carry it in bulk.
  • Bosmomma
    Bosmomma Posts: 1
    Options
    Nutritional yeast is often used in vegan recipes as a parmesan cheese substitute. It's not the yeast you use for baking bread. I buy it in flakes but I think you can also find it in a powder. It can be purchased in canisters or from the bulk bins at some health food stores.
  • AbbyPDX
    AbbyPDX Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use it for kale chips because it has a cheesy taste when cooked. Washed kale, dry well, toss in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, shake on some nutritional/brewer's yeast, bake until crispy at around 400 degrees. Delish!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    back in the days my mom would give it to us i remember it being OK
  • soulshine23
    soulshine23 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    its one of those ingredients that has a special somethin' somethin'... kinda like an umami flavor,
    its hard to describe. it is a yeast that is grown on molasses. it's a great source of protein and for vegans, as well as vitamin b12.

its not gross at all. people use it as a garnish for sprinkling like parmesan cheese, but it isn't the same really- its it's own thing.

brewer's yeast is totally an acquired taste and might fall into the category of gross-tasting. its is not the same as nutritional yeast.
    baking yeast, not the same. nutritional yeast does not have any leavening qualities. it can be eaten heated, cooked, cold, raw, plain, boiled, baked... however.

red star brand has gauranteed vit.b12, although most nutritional yeast is the same... check the content info.

it pairs well with vinegar, and tamari. or just plain.

i am vegan, and i love nutritional yeast. it is a go-to seasoning, and adds a lot of protein to my daily macros.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Thanks for the repiles everyone :drinker: That's just what I needed to know :wink: