Any hikers on the boards?

Options
I do some sort of hike at least 3 times a week. Anyone using hiking as their form of exercise? What has been you most memorable hike to date? Toughest? Any tips you'd like to share?

One of the reason for me to start taking myself, my health and my fitness seriously, is a Mt. Kilimanjaro trip I signed up for. I want my stamina back and I don't want to be my own obstacle when it comes to adventures.

My most memorable hike was Mt. Cotopaxi in Ecuador. I was having a blast and wasn't paying attention to the burning sensation in my fingers. When I did take the time to investigate, my fingers were so swollen they looked like hot dogs. I had to be rushed to the ranger's station. I didn't think it was possible to get frost bite in what seemed like a few hours. I learned many lessons that day.

My favorite hiking trips to date were Iceland and Cappadocia, Turkey. Both places were beyond beautiful so I didn't mind the pain. I'm hiking some of Mt. Etna at the end of May and I hoping I won't roll down the mountain before we even get started!

Oh yeah, please add me too...I can use some hiking buddies!

Replies

• PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    I hike but nothing on the level near Mt. Kilimanjaro...
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Living in Salt Lake, we have lot of mountains just east of the city. Once the skiing season is over and the snow melts, there are dozens of hiking opportunities where I can drive from my home to the trailhead in about 20-30 minutes . While I mostly use the gym for fitness, it's nice to go hit a hiking trail once or twice a month in the warmer months.
  • fayeonherway
    Options

Oh I'm not there yet, but I am determined to be!
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Living in Salt Lake, we have lot of mountains just east of the city. Once the skiing season is over and the snow melts, there are dozens of hiking opportunities where I can drive from my home to the trailhead in about 20-30 minutes . While I mostly use the gym for fitness, it's nice to go hit a hiking trail once or twice a month in the warmer months.

I've seen the pictures of Utah hikes. You are very lucky!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Yeahhhh this ^^^

I live in phoenix and we have hiking year round (in the summer I go at 4:30 am for a shorter hike). I love to hike along in CA and have been to OR, WA and northern AZ. However, my longest was like 14 miles. Sorry :)
  • looplulu
    looplulu Posts: 21
    Options
    It sounds like you've been to some cool places!

As for me, I like to hike around Rocky Mountain National Park.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I love to hike. I work six days a week, but you can bet my one day off is almost always spent hiking... Or at the beach. No crazy exciting hikes yet, but I am doing the Inca Trail in September. I. Can't. Wait.

I live in Southern Cali and there is some lovely hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains I enjoy spending my day off hiking.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I hike most frequently in the white mountains in NH, only 2 hours from Boston. But I've done hiking trips in the Rockies and Shenandoah, Acadia too. Most memorable was an 8 day self guided hike I to hotel trip I did in the Bavarian Alps. The trip was 82 miles and I definitely worked off my delicious austrian beer each day.
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Most of my weight loss has been from hiking a couple days a week. I live in Utah and we have some pretty hikes! You can see some pics in my profile.
  • kluedesigns
    kluedesigns Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i go hiking often but not at the level you're speaking of...

i live across the street from a NYS Park which is 2000 acres. i typically hike for 2.5-3.5 hours and do about 100 floors according to my Fitbit.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Hiking the levadas in Madeira was pretty cool. I also really liked Bako National Park in Sarawak, Borneo. Beautiful, challenging AND proboscis monkeys!
  • fayeonherway
    Options

Yeahhhh this ^^^

I live in phoenix and we have hiking year round (in the summer I go at 4:30 am for a shorter hike). I love to hike along in CA and have been to OR, WA and northern AZ. However, my longest was like 14 miles. Sorry :)

AZ is one of my favorite places. It's so beautiful, I'd never stay indoors!
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I LOVE hiking and would so go everyday if I could! I live in the Inland Northwest so I have many choices and usually hike at least 2-3 days a week :)
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I live in Utah and there are some nice hiking trail near my house. I make sure to bring water since I go on longer hikes 2+ hours. Make sure to hydrate with hiking. Hiking is a great exercise I think, plus the scenery is nice. I like to mix things up and gon on different trails. I like to hike solo so I go on popular trails in case I have some trouble. I also let my wife know when and where I go. Just be careful when you go hiking. For longer hikes, I try to go with a hiking buddy.
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love hiking! I used to always go on several long hikes in the course of the summer. There are some spectacular hiking grounds near my hometown (high moors, vulcanic lakes and such). But two years ago I moved to another town, which is only 30 miles away from where I used to live, but it might as well be at the other end of the galaxy: I don’t have a car, and you can only get so far on public transport… Plus, I don’t know anybody around here who likes hiking (or moving their *kitten* at all, for that matter). :(

I’m going to hike the length of Hadrian’s Wall in July, though. :happy: