Hard time getting enough cals without junk:/

Options
Having a really hard time getting my net cals up to 1200 after exercise without eating junk. I eat great half of the day, but then I am still at a huge deficit. I have lost a lot of inches (47.5) in 30 days, but only 9 pounds. And the weight stopped coming off once my net started staying negative or up to 300 (I love exercising and do so 1.5-3 hours a day). I have got to find more healthy options that give me large calorie amounts without having to eat too much. Everyone says that most of the time I don't nearly enough which I know is true and mfp has pointed out, but I am not hungry half of the time when I eat already. I may just start drinking protein shakes to make up the deficit! That way I am not eating all the crap just to get my cals up. Cause it is my understanding that you need to eat the calories back that you burn off with exercise and for me to loose 2 pounds a week MFP has my cals set at 1220. Does anyone else have this problem? If you drink protein shakes have you found a good one? And if you are more experienced with this, do you think protein shakes are the way to go? I know the only way to truly get healthy no matter how much weight and inches I loose is to get my eating right, not just half way right!

And yes I have calculated my BMR and TDEE as of today. Said BMR 2826 and TDEE 3095.939 unless I did it wrong. And the TDEE page said to deduct 200-300 cals to loose weight.

I also drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.

Today is day 30 since I started.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary...a few things to consider: if you're using low fat dairy, switch some to whole fat. Add a half an avocado to lunch. Eat some nuts, eat some peanut butter....or drink a protein shake if you like them.

That said, I'm confused about why you're eating 1200 if your TDEE is 3095? Am I reading your post right?
  • justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing you can do is just to listen to your own body. If your body is telling you you that you're not hungry, then don't feel like you have to eat just to make your calories for the day. This being said, peanut butter (or any other nut butter) is a great way to add some quick calories w/out a large volume of food. Or eat a quick protein bar.
  • kistockman
    kistockman Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with this now that I'm on maintenance. Part of it is a fear of eating too much or going over so I tend to err on the side of starvation mode. I too love to exercise so earn many more calories and sometimes struggle to eat all of them.

Whole cheeses, nuts and maybe even a glass of red wine once in awhile has helped me to stay close to net calories.
  • honeydawn329
    honeydawn329 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary...a few things to consider: if you're using low fat dairy, switch some to whole fat. Add a half an avocado to lunch. Eat some nuts, eat some peanut butter....or drink a protein shake if you like them.

That said, I'm confused about why you're eating 1200 if your TDEE is 3095? Am I reading your post right?

Well that is what MFP set it at when I started 30 days ago. I just did the TDEE and BMR calculations today. So again, I have to get a lot more calories, more than I thought I already needed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Well that is what MFP set it at when I started 30 days ago. I just did the TDEE and BMR calculations today. So again, I have to get a lot more calories, more than I thought I already needed.
    Got it. thanks for clarifying.
  • honeydawn329
    Options
    I've been struggling with this now that I'm on maintenance. Part of it is a fear of eating too much or going over so I tend to err on the side of starvation mode. I too love to exercise so earn many more calories and sometimes struggle to eat all of them.

Whole cheeses, nuts and maybe even a glass of red wine once in awhile has helped me to stay close to net calories.

Thanks! I love almonds and greaan apples with peanut butter so I can do more of that. And I used to drink a glass of red wine daily (I was doing so because I heard of heart benefits and heart problems run in my family)....need to get back to that;)
  • honeydawn329
    Options
    I think the best thing you can do is just to listen to your own body. If your body is telling you you that you're not hungry, then don't feel like you have to eat just to make your calories for the day. This being said, peanut butter (or any other nut butter) is a great way to add some quick calories w/out a large volume of food. Or eat a quick protein bar.

Thank you! I have been really struggling with making myself eat and sometimes feel sick because of it so I will try to up my almonds and peanut butter. I will also give the protein bars a try.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    SO how many total calories are you eating daily, including exercise cals?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I commend you for loving exercise but up to three hours is not only excessive, it's also driving your net calories too low. If you are having difficulty eating enough in lieu of such exercise volume, cut down the exercise. From a dietary angle, don't be too rigid by consuming only low-fat/calorie foods.
  • honeydawn329
    Options

It depends. If I only eat the healthy things I want then I might make it to a few hundred. But if I add in junk then I can push myself up to 1000-1200. But of course you have to have at least 1200. I just have a hard time with it and thats why I was asking if anyone else had or has this issue. And if so what do they do. I am going to try and up my peanut butter and almond intake since I like those. But I am looking at adding in protein bars and shakes so I can make up the calorie deficit without feeling so guilty.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I commend you for loving exercise but up to three hours is not only excessive, it's also driving your net calories too low. If you are having difficulty eating enough in lieu of such exercise volume, cut down the exercise. From a dietary angle, don't be too rigid by consuming only low-fat/calorie foods.

^^this
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Potatoes also have a TON of calories... But they are also very filling...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

It depends. If I only eat the healthy things I want then I might make it to a few hundred. But if I add in junk then I can push myself up to 1000-1200. But of course you have to have at least 1200. I just have a hard time with it and thats why I was asking if anyone else had or has this issue. And if so what do they do. I am going to try and up my peanut butter and almond intake since I like those. But I am looking at adding in protein bars and shakes so I can make up the calorie deficit without feeling so guilty.
    I'd say: if this is going to be a sustainable life for you (not just losing weight in a healthy way, but keeping it off) you're going to need to find a way to eat a lot more food (calories). Best of luck with it!
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If you want to have a good premade protein shake I recommend the French Vanilla Kellogg's ones. They have great stats and taste pretty good, especially cold.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Having a really hard time getting my net cals up to 1200 after exercise without eating junk. I eat great half of the day, but then I am still at a huge deficit. I have lost a lot of inches (47.5) in 30 days, but only 9 pounds. And the weight stopped coming off once my net started staying negative or up to 300 (I love exercising and do so 1.5-3 hours a day). I have got to find more healthy options that give me large calorie amounts without having to eat too much. Everyone says that most of the time I don't nearly enough which I know is true and mfp has pointed out, but I am not hungry half of the time when I eat already. I may just start drinking protein shakes to make up the deficit! That way I am not eating all the crap just to get my cals up. Cause it is my understanding that you need to eat the calories back that you burn off with exercise and for me to loose 2 pounds a week MFP has my cals set at 1220. Does anyone else have this problem? If you drink protein shakes have you found a good one? And if you are more experienced with this, do you think protein shakes are the way to go? I know the only way to truly get healthy no matter how much weight and inches I loose is to get my eating right, not just half way right!

And yes I have calculated my BMR and TDEE as of today. Said BMR 2826 and TDEE 3095.939 unless I did it wrong. And the TDEE page said to deduct 200-300 cals to loose weight.

Keep in mind that you can't rely on hunger as a gauge to how much food your body needs. One of the key signs of slowed metabolism is depressed hunger. Eating that little while exercising that much is the ideal way to slow your metabolism the maximum amount in the shortest time.

As for your BRM and TDEE, those do seem high. But withouth knowing your height/weight/bodyfat %, it's hard to know....

I just started a metabolism reset, so I am (attempting) to eat my full TDEE every day. That's around 2400-2500 calories a day. So I've been finding ways to get enough calories without junk. Feel free to browse my diary for ideas. I'm finding that I can drink my calories for breakfast with the smoothies I make. I also drink a chocolate hazelnut drink before bed. And I've been eating more nuts. You'd be amazed how many calories are in a small bit of peanut butter.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with junk? I have ice cream almost daily and have no issue losing weight.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    There are plenty of foods you can eat that are high in calories and they aren't "junk". Peanut butter isn't junk (if you are worried about added ingredients, it is very easy to find it made totally with peanuts). Or just eating a handful of nuts can give you a nice bump. Avocados are great for added calories, quinoa, sweet potatoes/yams, and eggs (if you aren't vegan) are other options I include in my diet.

Are you sure it's not that you aren't hungry and that you're just afraid to eat more? I'm not trying to assume, but it seems odd that you have a hard time feeling hungry by only eating a few hundred calories, as you said in one of your replies, but maybe it's just because i can't relate. Whatever the reason, i hope you found some of those suggestions helpful - good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Yes ^^^^
  • honeydawn329
    Options
    If you want to have a good premade protein shake I recommend the French Vanilla Kellogg's ones. They have great stats and taste pretty good, especially cold.

Thank you! I will give it a try!
  • honeydawn329
    Options

Keep in mind that you can't rely on hunger as a gauge to how much food your body needs. One of the key signs of slowed metabolism is depressed hunger. Eating that little while exercising that much is the ideal way to slow your metabolism the maximum amount in the shortest time.

As for your BRM and TDEE, those do seem high. But withouth knowing your height/weight/bodyfat %, it's hard to know....

I just started a metabolism reset, so I am (attempting) to eat my full TDEE every day. That's around 2400-2500 calories a day. So I've been finding ways to get enough calories without junk. Feel free to browse my diary for ideas. I'm finding that I can drink my calories for breakfast with the smoothies I make. I also drink a chocolate hazelnut drink before bed. And I've been eating more nuts. You'd be amazed how many calories are in a small bit of peanut butter.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:

Thank you!