Weight vs. Inches

Options
What has people's experience been regarding the relationship between losing weight vs. losing inches?

For me, the scale is addictive, and I just can't wait a week to step on. But then, when I go to measure myself at the end of the week, I'm always amazed by the inches lost, which never seems proportional to pounds lost. For instance, thus far I have lost 5 lbs. and a total of 7.7 inches off of my thigh, neck, and waist, including 4 off of my waist.

What are your experiences with inches and lbs.?

Replies

• spike1380
    spike1380 Posts: 82
    Options
    My experience is that it's all a pain in the butt! I've been told that you should lose 1 dress size per 10 pounds lost. Well, I don't wear dresses and I can say from experience that I generally need to lose 20 or more pounds before I can fit into a lower size pant. For instance, I started this journey at 225 pounds and size 18 (tight). I am currently bouncing around 207 and 209 and the same size 18 pants are still tight. My shirts are still tight. My shoes are still tight. But, my face is a bit thinner and my ring doesn't fit any more. If my boobs are going to get smaller, they will be the last things to go. My waist is the second to last. It has always been that way for me, regardless of how much or how little I exercise, or what kind I do. So, I am one that tends to watch the pounds instead of the inches because at least with the pounds I know I'm still making progress. If I go by my clothes, I'll get discouraged and quit.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    That part to me can get really confusing....I think it depends on where the weight sheds from as to what size you lose....honestly, I have not went to the store since i started this journey to see if i am down any, but I have lost quite a few inches and my clothes are pretty much falling off me lol...

anywho, i have seen a week or two out of my 6 weeks of this where the scale was down maybe 1 or 2 lbs; however, i was down a good 3 or 4 inches......

i dont know lol.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    My best friend and I were just talking about this. She is down 15 lbs and in pants two sizes smaller. I am down 9 lbs and in the same pants. She has lost a lot of inches around her waist, and mine hasn't moved much. I think it just depends on your body, and where is sheds weight first. She may have a skinnier waist, but her butt is still huge. (lol, this is what she said). I think I lose from all over, so it might take longer for types like us to see results when it comes to clothes. Keep it up! We'll get there too!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Lost 51 lbs, 1.3" off my neck, 8" off my waist and 4 " off my hips. Went from a size 16 dress to 11 or smaller depending on the manufacturer and from a size 16 pants to usually a size 6 (or 4 in some). I personally weigh every day so I know where I'm starting and then I also know if I need to be more careful about my calories and exercise more. I don't stress about my weight if I'm up a couple of pounds unless it doesn't go back down in a day or two. My pants size didn't drop until after I'd lost quite a bit of weight and that was a little frustrating but when they started to drop they went fast.

I think they type of exercise you do and how much you exercise makes a difference on inches too. When you build muscle your weight stays the same or may go up a little because muscle weighs more than fat.
  • owno9700
    owno9700 Posts: 24
    Options
    I find it all a little frustrating as well. I tend to avoid the scale at all costs because when I see the numbers come up it is nothing short of depressing. For example; I faithfully excercise 6 days a week, I'm a runner and I love to bike....I have noticed my hips, thighs and butt have slimmed down because my pants/shorts, etc. all fit much better. I thought I'd jump on the scale to see what my weight was and discovered that I am 5 lbs heavier than last year at this time but clothing fits much better and much more comfortable. I used to be a numbers person but now I try to stay clear; if I went by the numbers, I'd never leave my home. I think it all comes down to body structure; I think some people build muscle and don't see it reflected on the scale while there are others who do see it on the scale but body size stays relatively the same....just more firm!
  • porter09
    porter09 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi, just thought I would join in. I have lost 130lbs and am down 15.5 inches off my waist and 7 off my thigh though I am a bit muscular. The scale doesnt move but I do notice when I measure myself. I do wish the scale would drop but what can u do lol
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 In going from 228 to 178. I am male, so most of my extra weight collects around the middle.

My waist has gone from 43 to 36. An inch every 7 lbs
    Hips/butt from 42 to 39.5 An inch every 14 lbs
    Neck from 16 to 15.25. An inch every 66lbs

She is 5'2 In going from 150 to 120 my wife has gone from:

A smaller 36 c to bigger 34b and inch of band every 15 lbs and some cup size loss
    Waist from 34 to 29.5 An inch every 6.66 lbs
    Hips from 42 to 37.5. An inch ever 6.66 lbs
    We never measured her upper arms but the difference is noticable. Maybe 1.5 to 2 inches less in circumfrence
  • keith0373
    Options
    I guess my inches go away slower than hers because I am taller and bigger around so I have to burn more fat per inch lost.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've learned that the scale is NOT the 'end all, be all' to measuring fitness. I, too, was a scale addict and it led me down some very dangerous paths in my mid-20s. I find it hard not to step on every few days, but I forced myself to stow it in the garage during a 90-day fitness program and not step on it once. BEST decision I ever made. I learned a lot about myself during those 90 days because in the end, I had dropped 2 pants sizes, but only 5 pounds. Seriously, went from a 14/16 to a 10/12. The scale can become the most discouraging aspect of your fitness journey if you allow it to be. Remember, a pound of muscles weighs EXACTLY the same as a pound of fat (NO, muscle does NOT weight more than fat...get that out of your head--a pound is a pound. Period). BUT...a pound of muscle takes up MUCH less space in your body than a pound of fat. So, while your weight may remain the same, you may be considerably smaller in size.

Here's a picture to illustrate the point:

http://fitnesssuccess4you.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/fatmuscle.jpg
  • keith0373
    Options
    Per volume, muscle weighs more than fat is why they say that. Just like a pound of feathers takes up a lot more room than a pound of lead. In the end we are losing a volume of less dense material (fat) and replacing it with a volume of more dense material (muscle). I personally prefer to think of my fat as feathers :P
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Per volume, muscle weighs more than fat is why they say that. Just like a pound of feathers takes up a lot more room than a pound of lead. In the end we are losing a volume of less dense material (fat) and replacing it with a volume of more dense material (muscle). I personally prefer to think of my fat as feathers :P

However...I don't believe most people think about it that way. Many automatically assume (sometimes erroneously) that because they weight more this week than they did last week that they must've gained muscle because 'muscle weighs more than fat' without truly determining if they did, indeed, increase lean body mass and decrease body fat percentage.

LOL on the Fat = feather analogy. I prefer to look at the picture on the link I used in my post and say, "EWWW, gross!! I don't want THAT stored excessively in my body anymore!"

Have a fantastic day!