calorie burning ..... I'm new and confused

Options
Hi all, I'm 5st 5", 162lbs (after losing 3lbs on here) a mum of 3 and can't shift the last 1-2 stone :( .... I go to the gym so can monitor my exercise on here but they have some weird calorie burning exercises on here such as 'food preparation' haha. What I am wondering is this ....... today I have been painting and decorating for 6 hours non stop, literally up and down ladders, stretching to reach, holding a heavy paint pot, can I claim some cals burnt? I know it's not a massive effort exercise but surely on my feet constantly moving would earn a few? I'm shattered! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes by all means you should log that.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,967 Member
    Options
    I would definitely count it as cleaning, vigorous or maybe there is a database entry for house painting or yard work. The Exercise "purists" will tell you it doesn't count, but if you don't do it every day - count it and enjoy the post painting pizza !

:happy:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? With 12 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1/2 - 1 lb max. Also, moms generally are lightly active to start but it's possible you are moderately active.
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    Yes, you can use that as burnt calories. There is an option to pick painting. You burnt more calories then you think if it was 6 hours. Good job!
  • elfiebuffalo
    Options
    Ahhh great thanks all :) ... x
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Are you feeling like you've done a lot of work? You know the feeling, I think - tired, wanting to rest, and maybe hungrier than usual. If so, by all means, log it. I usually log only about 1/2 of the time spent in these kinds of activities, since I don't want to overeat either, but for sure you can give yourself a few more calories to refuel today.

Either way, just 1 day isn't going to make or break it for you. If you eat a little bit too many calories today, it'll even out. If you're a bit under, it'll even out. :wink:
  • tarablyawsum
    tarablyawsum Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have found that things as simple as "food prep" are a good first stepping stone into weight loss. As for your 6 hours of non stop moving i would personally log that under moderate cleaning. If you think it was on the more effort side log as "vigorous". If you didnt sweat much log it as "light". Good luck!

If you need support add me as a friend. I log every day