Any one else have side effects from increasing water?

Options
When I first began dieting, I was drinking a lot more unsweet tea and ice water. Shortly afterward I began having bladder problems. Increased urination would be expected, because I increased my fluids. But this felt more like a bladder infection, only I didn't have an infection. I did some internet searches and decided it might be the caffeine in the tea. So I cut out the tea. The problem improved some, but did not go away. I was very uncomfortable. More internet searches and thought maybe the problem was the fluoride in the tea and the water. I began drinking bottled spring water and it went away. Lately, I had a couple of glasses of tea, and regular water and the problem came back with a vengence. So now I am back on the bottled water and feeling better already. I just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced anything similar. I hate to think I will be limited to bottled water from now on.

Replies

• NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Unless you are consuming copious amount of water I would look elsewhere for the source of your problem. As the most fundamental requirement next oxygen for human survival, I just can't see water causing you any sort of issue. Just my opinion.
  • dd270
    dd270 Posts: 6
    Options
    Unless you are consuming copious amount of water I would look elsewhere for the source of your problem. As the most fundamental requirement next oxygen for human survival, I just can't see water causing you any sort of issue. Just my opinion.

It is not the water itself, but the fluoride in the water that I am wondering about.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a pretty conclusive test you did. You may want to try switching back to flouridated water from time to time and see if the problem continues to return. I was told by a Dr. that when the body is first introduced to a substance, it determines how to deal with it, and if it doesn't know how, it creates an allergic reaction and "remembers" that you are allergic and has the same reaction every time. By removing the substance completely, the body "forgets" about the substance, then when you re-introduced it, the body may "re-learn" the substance and be able to deal with it and you are no longer allergic. This is assuming what you are experiencing is an allergic reaction.
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Try making tea with the bottled water and see if that changes anything. If it starts up, I would think it would be the tea.
  • JamieRebecca23
    Options
    if i drink more than 2 glasses of tea a day... i get a kidney infection. so iced tea is the devil to me.... a yummy delicious devil!
  • Goal2BeFit2012
    Goal2BeFit2012 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can also try a water filter on your faucet to see if that works. I have a Brita water pitcher and that is all I drink. Bottled water can get very expensive... Doesn't hurt to try. :happy:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,024 Member
    Options
    I also have a Britta filter, but it won't filter out floride.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Get a water test kit from a farm store and see what is in it. Floride has been taken out of the water in most places in my state.
  • Brads2ndLife
    Options
    I would try getting some water from a friend out of area and see if that causes the effect as well, before blaming tap water conclusively.
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Did you add artificially flavored sweetener to your water? I had to cut that stuff out because of the same issue you are explaining. I feel so much better, now!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a brita?
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

It is not the water itself, but the fluoride in the water that I am wondering about.

Sorry, missed that.
    Googling fluoride+bladder seems to indicate there could be some link
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Did you add artificially flavored sweetener to your water? I had to cut that stuff out because of the same issue you are explaining. I feel so much better, now!

Thanks, but I gave those up a long time ago. I was curious if anyone else has had a problem.