Counting calories in fruit and veggies

Options
Question for everyone out there, what is the consensus on counting calories in fruit and veggies? I thought I heard that Weight Watchers doesn't count them and a friend of mine asked me why I entered them here, that I should just eat them freely.

So, do you enter calories for fruit and veggies or just "real food"?

-L

Replies

• CMenendez
    CMenendez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well I enter everything that I eat here. Veggies and fruit still have calories and since this is a calorie counting life change then I would think they should be included. I have never been on weight watchers so I am not sure why they exclude them.
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    I count for all, but if I go over on my veggies that's not a bad thing. However with the fruit you have to remember that even though it's "healthy sugar" it still is sugar... so if you eat say 10 bananas in a day, that's a lot of sugar.. and it all adds up. I'm going through a fitness/nutrition body camp and we are learning about that and how to choose the better fruits.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    They have calories, so I don't get why you would not enter them here except maybe motivation to eat more of them? Veggies are pretty low calorie anyway, fruits can add up though.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    All food is "real", even "empty" cals like what's in alcohol. Weight Watchers works on a points system, which is different from cal counting. Both work for different reasons: Points give you the balance your body needs for fats, fiber, sugar, carbs, protein, etc. while Counting Calories gives you the breakdown so you can control what you eat & how much in a different manner.
    Fruits & Veggies are high in sugar, which if that is something you're trying to watch, it's best to log the cals so you know what you can eat throughout the day or if you have room for a snack later.
    In the end it also breaks down to personal honesty; it depends on your goals, what you want, how you want to get there & how fast you want to get there.
    Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Also, this isn't just about calories (or it shouldn't be). Including vegetables and fruits in your log can help you determine if you are getting enough vitamins in your diet, and if you are getting enough servings of that food group each day.
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i have been on ww and they do count fruit and say you can eat veggies freely. they also say only eat about 2 no more than 3 serving of fruit a day because it has alot of sugar if you eat alot of serving. veggies you can eat as much as you like....on here i count everything just because i do not want to cheat myself and i want to see everything i put in my mouth :)
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When I did WW, I counted fruit!
  • thinsky
    thinsky Posts: 81
    Options
    You have to count everything, even if it is healthy doesn't mean it wont make you fat if you eat too much of it. Plus are you putting anything on the veggies when you eat them or just raw, if you put something on them or dip something in them...that adds up. I dont care what anyone says you can get fat by eating too much healthy food. that is why it is all about moderation. And fruit will make you fat if you are eating too much of it exspecially if you are eating it on top of eating everything else you are counting.
  • hollierp
    hollierp Posts: 1
    Options
    I count for all, but if I go over on my veggies that's not a bad thing. However with the fruit you have to remember that even though it's "healthy sugar" it still is sugar... so if you eat say 10 bananas in a day, that's a lot of sugar.. and it all adds up. I'm going through a fitness/nutrition body camp and we are learning about that and how to choose the better fruits.

My question is have they told you what the better fruits are? I would love to know.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are 'real' food. I'm a vegetarian and they make up the bulk of my diet and they are vital and need to be tracked. They contain: calories, carbs (mainly from naturally occuring sugars), fiber, some protein, vitamins, and antioxidents. Those cals add up. No food should ever be a 'free' food.
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    agree with most on this- definitly count it. You can get fat eating all fruits and veggies if you over eat you calories!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    You have to count everything, even if it is healthy doesn't mean it wont make you fat if you eat too much of it. Plus are you putting anything on the veggies when you eat them or just raw, if you put something on them or dip something in them...that adds up. I dont care what anyone says you can get fat by eating too much healthy food. that is why it is all about moderation. And fruit will make you fat if you are eating too much of it exspecially if you are eating it on top of eating everything else you are counting.

Wow, you are like the first person I have heard say this....................

Regardless of what some people think, there are higher carb vegetables and of course fruits and you CAN gain weight if you don't eat the right ones or in allotted amounts.

I am convinced that is why some people are losing so slowly or not at all. I still think people are grossly under estimating the calories they are eating, especially when it comes to fruit and size stuff...............

Leptin resistance is very real!!!!
  • sscgilliam
    Options
    Yes, enter them. All the nutritional information for foods can be found in a booklet I ordered from the US Dept of Agriculture, entitled, The Nutritive Value of Foods. I has all nutritional info for EVERYTHING; Milk products, legumes, fruits & veggies, meats, eggs, sugars, grains..... it has it all!!! My version was published in 1981.
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    The reason WW doesn't "Count" veggies is because of their point system. The approximate estimate is that 50 calories = 1 point (with some variation due to fat and fiber content. More fiber = less points (Up to 4 grams) more fat = more points). Most "servings" of veggies stay below that 50 calorie mark and at 0 points.

However.

They do add up, and even on WW if you logged say, 3 servings of green beans (at 15 calories a serving), you'd hit a .5 point. Add one more serving (the whole can) and you'll hit that 1 point.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Yes, I absolutely 100% count them. Does it have calories? Yes. Are you using MFP to count calories? Yes. What's the confusion, exactly? :wink:
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've found it interesting to find out just which veggies and fruits have as their nutritional content. Also, I found the days I felt better are the days when I made the higher fiber, higher lean protein days.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    if i didnt count them... id have like 200-300 in my diary.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Question for everyone out there, what is the consensus on counting calories in fruit and veggies? I thought I heard that Weight Watchers doesn't count them and a friend of mine asked me why I entered them here, that I should just eat them freely.

So, do you enter calories for fruit and veggies or just "real food"?

-L

I count them. Take an orange for example, 80 calories in one medium size one, if I were to eat 3 in a day that would be 240 calories, if I didn't count it that could make me go way over my daily allowance, even though it is fruit.

(besides which, if I wanted to eat 10 of them, that would be 800 calories! Not that I would eat 10 in one go mind, not unless I wanted the runs of a different kind :laugh: )
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Count them, just remember potato's are vegs and chips/fries aren't exactly low fat are they? nor is mash or creamed potato's and as my friend says "you get fat vegetarians too"!
  • thinsky
    thinsky Posts: 81
    Options
    July24lioness,
    I know people don't usually say that, but it is true...funny how it is never mentioned!!