Why can't I just do this?! How did you stick with it???

Options
I am so disgusted with my body and hate how I look yet I seem to be doing everything wrong!!!! I eat good for 2 days and then it all goes to crap!! So depressed and broken. What is the secret?? What is the trick?!?!

Replies

• dalygirl_2010
    Options
    you might have to open your diary for people to help...
  • BarbImel
    BarbImel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same... lose all motivation after a couple of days.. I'm looking forward to the responses..:sad:
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    we all have days like this but for me is that I still log in even if I eat to much of the wrong type of food just dont give in you can do and in time you will be just like all of us as we all had some form of giving up
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I know it is my diet but how do you stick to eating healthy??? I eat emotionally too. I am just so absolutely disgusted and depressed!!! I haven't exercised regularly in a week ...

Sorry for the vent. I am just so down tonight.
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I look at my "before" picture and if that's not motivation, nothing is.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    You'll have to overcome the emotional before you can get over the hump.
    If you eat out of emotional reaction every single time, you'll likely always end up at the same starting point.
    If food is always the crutch, you'll continue to let it be so.

Replace food with something else.
  • bchthrpy
    bchthrpy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It is hard, but you have to want it and trust me I hate saying that because I am, and have been for months, in a major set back....are you working out everyday? Are you "eating back" your calories from working out? Dig deep, it is there within you....set backs are okay so long as you don't stay there.
  • AddyMaeMomma
    AddyMaeMomma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My husband was losing a ton of weight and it started off as me not wanting to be left in the dust. Then after losing 6 pounds or so people were telling me how awesome I looked and I felt so much better that it's become a new way of life for us. Just stick with it. It will pay off!
  • nicolewood415
    nicolewood415 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I try to find healthy foods that I love and that has helped. Also, another thing I do sometimes is plan my meals out the night before. Good luck!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    There's no trick. You simply set your mind to it and DO IT.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I am so disgusted with my body and hate how I look yet I seem to be doing everything wrong!!!! I eat good for 2 days and then it all goes to crap!! So depressed and broken. What is the secret?? What is the trick?!?!

Persistence. We all 'mess' up along the way-it's natural. One important step is accepting that we've gotten off track, but getting right back on-whether it be later that day or the next day. If you've eaten 'badly' one day, try to exercise a bit more that day to compensate, exercise more the next day, try to make better choices the next day.

The 'secret?' Hanging in there because you know you want this more than anything.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    There is no secret and there is no trick. You just have to want to it. I started out just logging what I was eating (good or bad), when I ate it, and that opened my eyes to where I could make adjustments and also decide if I was really hungry or just bored, or stressed, or upset. You are only accountable to yourself. Good luck to you in finding your way. :flowerforyou:
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I just take it one day at a time. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Start slowly. Don't make drastic changes but small changes that you know that you can maintain. I started by drinking water and stop drinking soft drinks and pop. Following this, I started going for small walks and progressed to long and fast walks. Gradually I add in various workout DVDs.

In terms of food, I started by adding more vegetables and fruits into my diet. I still eat the things that i like such as ice cream and chocolates, but I try to get in my workouts and just keep going.

Good luck....
  • ravenwork
    ravenwork Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When it comes to dieting, the past is the past. No one can do a thing about what you ate yesterday. There is just no sense in beating yourself up over it. Take the diet one day at a time, and do the best you can.

You might try the Japanese philosophy on this:

Small steps lead to top of tall mountain...

Just try to make small incremental changes. If they work, stick with them. If they don't, try something else.

Hang in there!
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to eat whatever I want but just in moderation. I make everything fit into my daily calories as much as I can. I also workout quite a bit and have a cheat day (that ends up being a little bit more than a day) every week. This allows me too look forward a certain day and know that I am not leaving things out. I know that I have really never been overweight, but working out has helped me find confidence and be the person that I want to be. It helps get me through my day and I know that working out to begin with makes all the difference. Maybe start with 2 or 3 days then a semi-cheat day and work up to 5 or 6 days a week. Try little substitutes as well for certain things (ex. seltzer for soda, dark chocolate for chocolate, whole wheat pasta for pasta)! I hope that helps... if you need any fitness advice I am a trainer, fitness instructor, and cycle instructor and would love to help answer your questions and help you in your journey!!!
  • johnsongirls
    johnsongirls Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You have to decide you are actually ready. It's one thing to want to lose weight but its another to be mentally prepared to do it. It won't happen and you won't be able to stick with it if you are not 100% mentally ready. If you can't stick with it for longer than a couple days you are not mentally ready.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are being too radical, and taking an approach that is not sustainable for you. Healthy eating isn't just skinless grilled chicken and steamed vegetables.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You have to decide you are actually ready. It's one thing to want to lose weight but its another to be mentally prepared to do it. It won't happen and you won't be able to stick with it if you are not 100% mentally ready. If you can't stick with it for longer than a couple days you are not mentally ready.

^^^ This.
  • dieuwket
    dieuwket Posts: 5
    Options
    if you really feel this broken and depressed and hate your body and eating emotionally, maybe it's time to go talk to someone. I am all about therapy! It doesnt have to be long or drawn out, just go and talk to someone. I did for just a few months and it was super helpful :)
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think, unfortunately, the trick for everybody is different. For me, I think the best advice was to not try to change everything all at once. Set managable goals, ones that you can accomplish and then feel good about. For example. Decided to only eat two slices of bread per day instead of four or six, or replace a can of soda a day with water, or eat french fries only on Saturday night. Keep 95% good foods in the house - don't try to deprive yourself completely. And try to think differently about fatty foods and empty calories; think of your body as something precious, to be nurtured and given as long a life as possible. Bad foods become less desirable as you begin to believe this. It happened to me this way. Your body is your gift.

Good luck.