Marathon and 5k Fees?

Options
I want to run a 5k so bad I cant stand it but I'm wondering about all the fees? Can I just show up and run it? There are so many but they all have registration fees which is fine but I can't see paying 50 bucks for some of them....just looking for some advice as I have never done this before. I would also like to take my daughter along sometime and just walk or jog one, does that mean I pay two fees?Thanks!

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    They always have fees in my experience - but you usually get a goodie bag that covers most if not all the cost. race shirts, water bottles, lanyards, etc...
  • Kellyanne822
    Kellyanne822 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Many times part of the fee goes toward a cause. I am doing the Color Me Rad Run and a portion goes towards my t-shirt, color pack and also World Aids Day. A lot of work goes on behind the scenes for big races. Try to find one that supports a good cause and then you can feel good knowing you are making a difference for yourself and someone else!
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I want to run a 5k so bad I cant stand it but I'm wondering about all the fees? Can I just show up and run it? There are so many but they all have registration fees which is fine but I can't see paying 50 bucks for some of them....just looking for some advice as I have never done this before. I would also like to take my daughter along sometime and just walk or jog one, does that mean I pay two fees?Thanks!

Keep an eye out on your local LivingSocial or Groupon. They often have 5K deals for a reduced fee. I can't speak to whether you would need to pay an additional fee for your daugther.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You usually pay less the earlier you register.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yes you have to pay the fee. If you don't, you can actually put you, your child and others in danger. Registration fees go towards: water, Gatorade, paying policemen or security for the course, EMT personnel, port a potties and plenty of other things you may not have thought about.

Race directors determine how much of all of these things that they need based on the number of people that register. Example: if they see that 100 people have registered, they will have a certain number of port a potties, water, post race snacks, and EMT on hand for 100 people. If 25 people just "show up" (also called "renegades") and something happens to them or they take water from the course, then they are taking resources from the people who spent money to be there.

One other thing. When you register, they ask you for emergency contact information. If something happens to you, they will not know who you are or who to contact because you would not have on a race bib.

You can find more information in the "what do my race fees pay for" article on Runners World. I'm looking for the link.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

You can show up and run it as a "bandit" but you won't get any gear, you won't get a number and you won't get timed. 5Ks are not that expensive. You can probably find a small one for $20 or so. Many of them are raising money for some cause so if you don't want to pay, just figure out 3.1 miles around your neighborhood and run that. To me, that's better than just running rogue.
  • mistimn
    mistimn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What about if I bring my daughter though can she tag along? I don't mind paying a fee that goes towards a good cause.
  • christinet8504
    Options

Keep an eye out on your local LivingSocial or Groupon. They often have 5K deals for a reduced fee. I can't speak to whether you would need to pay an additional fee for your daugther.

This! Sometime a few weeks before a 5K if theres lots of spots open, they'll go on Groupon for $25. Depending on the race, thats AWESOME!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

This for sure. I've seen as much as a $30 difference between pre-registering and race-day registration.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first one this weekend! Color Me Rad 5K in Orlando, FL! Just finalized my outfit! lol

148m3vb.jpg

Registration fee was $45 and everyone participating has to pay unless it is a child under a certain age. If you want a free 5K, just go run a 5K on your own! lol Any of the organized ones cost money to organize so it makes sense that they would charge participants. Not many people are in the business of just giving money away :wink:
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You can go to a 5k anywhere, but if you want to go to an official race--yes--you need to pay and register. It is costly (though you can find some school-sponsered ones that are around $10). These races cost a lot to set up (as others have mentioned, there are goodies for participants and funds also go to a lot of good charities) and people who aren't registered really are not welcome on to the race course (though a lot of people show up at the finish line to show support to the racers). That said, walking or running doesn't matter--you can do either at most races (though check for details). Some races allow children, some have age cutoffs, so that is something to check into too (but yes, you would then pay for the registration for both of you).
  • mistimn
    Options
    See I didn't know half of this, thank you guys!
  • mistimn
    Options
    Yes you have to pay the fee. If you don't, you can actually put you, your child and others in danger. Registration fees go towards: water, Gatorade, paying policemen or security for the course, EMT personnel, port a potties and plenty of other things you may not have thought about.

Race directors determine how much of all of these things that they need based on the number of people that register. Example: if they see that 100 people have registered, they will have a certain number of port a potties, water, post race snacks, and EMT on hand for 100 people. If 25 people just "show up" (also called "renegades") and something happens to them or they take water from the course, then they are taking resources from the people who spent money to be there.

One other thing. When you register, they ask you for emergency contact information. If something happens to you, they will not know who you are or who to contact because you would not have on a race bib.

You can find more information in the "what do my race fees pay for" article on Runners World. I'm looking for the link.

Thank you! That's a lot I didn't know, much appreciated :)
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ok, i found this article. The numbers are a bit hiher because they are analyzing a marathon which typically has more registrants.

http://fitbie.msn.com/get-fitter/race-fees-where-your-money-goes
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Larger races usually have higher fees. Around here, and a lot of other places I've seen, there are a lot of smaller local races that are much cheaper. Most of the races on our running club schedule are between $10 and $20 to run for 1 mile to 10k races Keep in mind when you do this type of race, you aren't going to get the same kind of stuff as the bigger races. No race kits, donated prizes, if any, some have tshirts others don't, sometimes no bib or chip timing, etc. Most of these races around here keep things simple to keep costs down, make little or no profit and often donate whatever they clear to charity as well. These types of races can be really fun, not as intimidating as the huge races, just don't expect a big race experience.
    Check with local running clubs to see what smaller races may be in your area.

I sit on the organizing committee for our local marathon race weekend and am race director of a smaller race described above. You would be surprised to know the costs associated.

ETA - as for just showing up, many small races allow registration the day of the race. Larger races usually require pre-registration for reasons listed above.
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Check with your local running store for 5k's that are free.they will usually have informal races/runs. But if you want to participate in some of the bigger/organized races, you should pay the fee. Not only does it usually go to a cause, but it helps cover the costs of organizing the race. Those bagels and bananas you get at the end aren't free. Timing mats/chips, OT for security, portapotties-those all cost money. Plus you usually get a t-shirt out of the deal. Besides, you won't be included in their timing system.

If you really are finding it too expensive, consider running on behalf of a cause, like Team in Training. There's usually a fundraising minimum, but at least the money isn't coming out of your pocket AND you are doing a good thing.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I wanted to try and run a race every month this year, but the fees are what's holding me back. I need a race budget! :tongue: I've found that a 5k around here can cost anywhere from 20-50 bucks, depending on when you register. Someone else mentioned already that most races will be cheaper if you register early, with price increases every month or so as you get closer to race day.

So I'm picking and choosing my races this year based on cost, and the most bang for my buck, so to speak. The one I signed up for is one I did last year - it was my first race and theirs too - and they did a great job with it. For $25 runners get a tech tee, pancake breakfast, raffle ticket and goodie bag. The race was well organized, with streets blocked off by police officers (another 5k I did last year had zero traffic control, and we had to stop and wait for lights, traffic, etc - it was pathetic!), well marked route, and proceeds went to a good cause - it was lots of fun.

Another local race that's pretty big is coming up soon, and I'd love to do it because it's such a big event, but costs for the 5k are up to $45 now. You get a lot of goodies - another tech tee, breakfast, a medal, ice cream, free massages and tickets to a baseball game. And the atmosphere and being part of a big event would be fun, so I'm considering the higher cost (it's a full weekend event with a bike race Saturday, 5k, kids race and half marathon on Sunday).

I just missed our second Color Me Rad 5k because of the cost. We had one last fall, and I think I paid $30, but this time around the early bird fees started at $35. I had a great time last time, but couldn't justify the cost again for another tee shirt, a bag of colored cornstarch and some fake ray bans. :tongue: Maybe next year.

I keep saying I need to start squirreling money away for the races I'd like to do! They are fun, that's for sure!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm in a small city, about 60K people, and our 5ks run about $10-25, depending on the cause and popularity. I joined a local running club that puts on the seasonal 5ks and they run pretty good discounts for members. We have a Run or Dye that I registered early on for $28, which is the most expensive I've done, but it's for the gimmick I guess. Marathons run anywhere from $50 - hundreds depending on how you get in. I'm running a popular regional one, half, and paid $65. Then I paid $85 for the Marine Corps Marathon. For the really big ones, you can get sponsored if you raise a certain amount of money for the charity that sponsors you.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

This
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Most are pretty cheap 20-25 if you register before hand and price goes up for late or race day registers