What to eat before Running?

Options
I am new to running and am not sure whats the best thing to eat prior to run, normally its in my lunch break so I dont want to eat my dinner before I eat, yet just my breakfast sometimes leaves me feeling like I need more energy.

I have been eating a banana, anyone have any suggestions on quick energy snacks that are healthy?

Thanks

J :-)

Replies

• chefbubba1303
    chefbubba1303 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Honey stinger waffless about a half hour before. regardless of what you eat, take some time before you run, I usually snack a litte about a half hour. Some people like pop tarts but they are sugar so I avoid them. Grapes and fruit are also good sugars. a little peanut butter on whole grain isn't too bad. Good Luck!
  • helmsara
    helmsara Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat a banana as well. I feel that I don't need anything more than that for a short run (1-3 miles). I'm interested to see what other people suggest though, especially when I start doing longer runs.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A little fruit or some crackers or similar can be great if you feel the need to eat. Also, having a larger breakfast on run days might be worth trying.
  • bobs_god
    bobs_god Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Funny your talking about his, I am training for a half marathon that's in a few weeks time and I was having the same issue, I was finding I was getting tired and losing energy half way through my runs. I was advised by a personal trainer to fed up on carbs (good carbs) before running (give an 1hr/1.5hrs to let your food digest). I have tried this for the last 4 days and I have seen a major difference yesterday bringing my mile a minute down from 11.5 to 10.5.

I was advised to choose something high in carbohydrates and lower in fat, fiber, and protein. A bagel with peanut butter; turkey and cheese on whole wheat bread; a banana and an energy bar; or a bowl of cold cereal milk. if your going on your lunch break I would normally try to eat an energy/breakfast bar mid morning before I plan go on my run. I have found the difference in my breakfast eating has really made an impact on my early morning runs.

I have lost 4 lbs so far this week by changing up my diet to fit around my running.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    On a side note... your body generally has plenty of cals to fuel typical workouts. If you're feeling tired or low on energy, make sure it's physical and not mental. A lot of people mistake the 2 and end up sucking down gels and such when all they need to do is work past the mental hurdles.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I am partial to an English muffin with peanut butter.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I like doing mine in the morning with little to nothing. If it's under 6 miles I typically don't eat anything. Past that I might have a nutrigrain bar or something simple first. Did a 14 mile run this last weekend. Got up, had a single waffle with honey on top and a cup of cold coffee. Worked perfect for me.

This morning it was a cup of cold coffee, a nutrigrain bar and then the 8+ mile run. I did have a Cliff energy shot after 4.5 miles but that's more for practicing eating and running than the actual need for the energy.
  • jofiestyone
    jofiestyone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great, some good ideas here, thnks for all the comments :-)
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    half a peanut butter sandwhich and 8oz of milk does it for me.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I like to grab a handful of cashews or walnuts
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    A packet of sugar-free oatmeal works for me. 'Naners are good and also maybe an apple.
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just have a banana.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Carbs.
  • cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    Glad I found this. I run early in the morning- 3am to be exact, before my kids wake up and I have to get everyone ready for the day. I typically do not eat anything pre-run and will only drink a glass of water right before heading out the door. So far I've been doing ok and have gotten my mileage up to 13 miles for my long runs, which are Saturday and still at 3am so I'm done before soccer. I eat breakfast about an hour or so after I run and haven't had any issues. How horrible is this?
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    ta for this x
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    First, how far are you looking to run on average?

Short runs: Banana.
    Long runs: Half of a plain bagel with almond butter or peanut butter / coffee. Don't eat whole wheat because of the fiber. Running is a natural laxative. Yes, I said it...you'll be regretting your decision later. Don't forget to take electrolytes for long runs.
  • ROCKERFOREVER81
    Options
    I actually eat dinner around 6pm. Sleep for an hour and then go for a run. Protein shake after my run. Works for me :)