sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Easy Salsa (spanish) Rice

1 small to medium onion, diced
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
    2 Cups low sodium chicken broth
    2 cups brown rice
    1 cup your favorite salsa
    Optional: 1 cup diced zuchinni and/or 1 cup diced bell pepper (any color)

saute the onion in the oil in a large sauce pan until soft. Add chicken broth, rice and salsa (and optional zuchinni and bell pepper). Cook over medium heat until rice is tender.

Easy peasy! and SUPER delicious!
    I have also added diced cooked chicken breast to this or even ground beef. Makes a great side or main dish.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    our new fav way is cooking it in the normal amt of water but add a few shots of mushroom soy sauce....it is incredible.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    For dessert add 1/4 apple chopped and 1 mini box of raisins too warm rice. Yummy!
  • Sandraleigh87
    Sandraleigh87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I add franks red hot or sriacha...easy and delicious!!
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Tonight I cooked up some Rice Select Royal blend (mix of white, brown, and red rice) in beef broth. As it finished cooking I added a block of Laughing Cow for a little richness, and also a little ground cumin. It was delish and satisfying.
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I used to eat my b rice with salsa, cubed chicken in a wrap...or instead of salsa ,,,red chili sauce.

Or a can of tuna, salad and fresh dill..
  • SkinneyGirl28
    SkinneyGirl28 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use it under things like under curry, under Ala King Supreme, etc. Nevr tried it plain except for Spanish Rice. It goes great in Stuffed Peppers, too.

Neelie Deer :happy:
  • leantonedliz
    Options
    I like to put some salsa on it! I usually have brown rice and black beans with salsa, and I sometimes add lettuce, cheese, and guacamole and make it like a burrito bowl. It's pretty easy to throw together and relatively inexpensive!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,673 Member
    Options
    By swapping it out with white rice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • alisagosse30
    alisagosse30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Salsa is so good with rice
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I make my own salsa

tin of tomatoes
    100g radishes
    100g onion
    some jalapeno peppers
    salt & pepper on taste
    herbs if I have them as basil or parsley

in fact right now I am having some wholegrain rice, tuna and salsa mixed - came at 243 calories total
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Under my sweet and sour stir fry. It's SUPER easy to make!!

1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup light soy sauce (I usually fill the 1/2 cup just over half way and top it off with water)
    3-4 garlic cloves
    chicken or beef, sliced
    carrots, broccoli, whatever other veggies you'd like

Mix the liquids together in wok, and then add the rest, bring to a boil and then reduce heat, simmer until veggies are cooked, thicken with either flour and water or cornstarch and water

Serve over rice. Yum!
  • beaverfever5
    beaverfever5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    98% FF cream of chicken soup and some salsa
  • MeriLeMay
    MeriLeMay Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is a staple with me, I put chunky salsa in it, I'll mix broccoli or peas with it and cook in low-salt chicken bouillon, I also cook it in bouillon instead of plain water, might add black beans and diced tomatoes. Sometimes I do the above and mix diced chicken breast for a complete meal or cook it with double the liquid to make a brown rice soup with vegs.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'll be watching this thread bc I don't care to much for brown rice even though i know it's better for me. The steamable brand of brown rice is not to bad but the ones I have to "cook" myself...ooh....
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You can buy already seasoned canned black beans ( Cuban style, Jalapeño Lime, etc). For a quick dinner toss the rice, black beans, chicken or turkey sausage together. Add toppings if you wish like cheese, plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I cook my brown rice with chicken broth if I'm doing a savory dish. You can get low sodium and low fat/fat free. I use the low fat kind.

Then I make my spicy black beans and serve those over top with a crumbling of low fat feta.

nom nom
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    also, you can cook it in a slow cooker. SO MUCH EASIER
  • justshann0n
    justshann0n Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do a couple different things:

1) Dice up an onion very fine, and throw in a packet of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix.

2) Juice of 1 lime, course sea salt, and when it's done, add cilantro and fluff! (If you've ever had Chipotle's rice it tastes VERY similar) If you use Basmati rice instead of brown rice it's identical.