Girl pretty much eats Ramen Noodles for 13 years.

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/teen-s-strange-ramen-addiction--165713286.html

Basically this 18 year old girl has eaten not much other than Ramen noodles for the last 13 years, They say her health is like that of an 80 year old person.

Someone should throw her parents in jail for child abuse.

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Horrible parenting for sure. But she and her mom probably both have psych issues.
  • 1tiamat
    1tiamat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating ramen every now and again, but I don't think I could last for 13 years on ramen. I would go nuts! Unless it is the awesome stuff you get from nice sushi places.

Both my brothers became picky when we were growing up, oddly I didn't develop those habits. I won't let my kids eat that kind of stuff too much.

Maybe she was really picky and her parents just grew to give in. Not how my parents did it, but that's my assumption.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    wow. parenting fail.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she might be on the Autism spectrum. Let's not judge.
  • danieljohnc1984
    danieljohnc1984 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That is disgusting and disturbing.

With that said, I have spent many a poor months of my life living off of ramen. Nothing is better, when money is tight, then a good ramen from an Asian grocery store.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Ramen, but I also grew up on Iron Chef Japan which caused me to branch out.
  • Atoncebecoming
    Atoncebecoming Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is a hereditary eating disorder - popularly known as "freaky eating", but it is a legitimate disorder. I agree, her mother needs to have been taking better care of her, but one thing that has to be realized is that if this girl doesn't get the ramen, she won't eat. Period. There is treatment, it comes in the form of counseling through a psychotherapist - preferably one who is proficient in the handling of abnormal eating disorders.

There is also chance of complete recovery. :)
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    wow. parenting fail.

This ^^^
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she might be on the Autism spectrum. Let's not judge.

^^^^ this.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    She has an eating disorder called Selective Eating Disorder which is really hard for the sufferer and her family.

Don't be so judgemental.
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Porr girl.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Well, maybe she had sensory issues, like my child has. My son has autism and the only foods he eats are: banquet salisbury steak tv dinners (he use to eat everything but the corn, now he only eats the mashed potatoes and leaves everything else). McDonald's McDouble with no pickles and small fries (sometimes he eats only the bread and leaves the patty, sometimes he does the opposite). Tyson Chicken Nuggets from Costco's and nowhere else, no other shapes either or it is not a nugget to him. Ramen noodles, sometimes. Ice cream sandwiches, (when I buy them). Anything carbonated, twinkies, oreos, starburst, birthday cake occasionally if it is the right color and look to him. Pepperoni and Cheese Pizza from anywhere. He will eat my chilli, and he has been known to eat my spaghetti on occasions. He will eat my rotel which consists of velveeta cheese, can of rotel and 1/3 pound of ground turkey or beef with tortilla chips. Baked beans occasionally, any kind of juice, milk sometimes, and yogurt. He loves graham crackers and applesauce. These are all the things he eats. Nothing else. He refuses to try anything new. I tried to give him some peanut butter and he would not even open his mouth. BTW, my son is 6 years old and non-verbal. He is my only child, and I tend to just pick my battles with him when it comes to food. Anyways, back to the girl and the ramen noodle story, maybe she could be autistic or something along those lines and that was all she would eat. I know parents of autistic children now, who claim their child will only eat one thing and they have to feed them pediasure.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's not completely her parent's fault. Yes, they should have supplied her with real food. But she is now an adult and is responsible for her own health.

Also. Ramen is disgusting.
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I read this earlier. The parents failed this poor girl. They should of gotten her help if she had an eating disorder.
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I used ramen as a staple in my college diet....but I was paying my own way and worked two jobs....so I was kind of backed into a corner. Flash forward a few years, and working a real job and I won't touch them! I couldn't imagine how hard having a disorder like that would be to deal with. My heart goes out to her.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's not completely her parent's fault. Yes, they should have supplied her with real food. But she is now an adult and is responsible for her own health.

There is no evidence that states this is the only thing the parents bought her... unless i missed it. If she didn't want anything else she wouldn't eat it.

This is true. The article does say that her mom buys her a lot of Ramen, but not that it's the only thing her mom buys for her. She makes the ultimate decisions about what she puts in her body.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

There is no evidence that states this is the only thing the parents bought her... unless i missed it. If she didn't want anything else she wouldn't eat it.

If my 5 yr old ONLY wanted to eat noodles I'd be getting help for her, not just going along with it, know what I mean?
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Wow poor dear, I hope they can at least try and make her health better for her to get older than she is. It sounds like a disorder or Autism to me. Which in that case, you really can't do much but try to make the child happy and as healthy as you can as they choose what they want and will put a fight up if you try to tell them its anything different. I have a cousin who is Autistic and he is an amazing young man now and was and still is super picky at what he eats and it has to be a certain brand and color and such and such.. Prayers for this girl and parents :)
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options

If my 5 yr old ONLY wanted to eat noodles I'd be getting help for her, not just going along with it, know what I mean?

whose to say they didn't!?
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I had a roommate that figured out how many packages of mr noodles it took every day to keep him from fainting at work so he could budget as much of his money as possible his drug addiction. I have no idea what happened to that guy. Most organized junkie I have ever seen though!