Ladies! When do you lose your period weight?

Options

Replies

• Soulflwr
    Soulflwr Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I gain about 1-2 days before, I don't even bother to weigh myself anymore because my clothes get tighter around my waist and I feel much heavier. It goes away on the first day of my period. I gain about 5-6 pounds during that time and somehow manage to lose it overnight. Which is good to know because I used to get REAL excited about that loss before I got in touch my body rhythms. lol!
  • Soulflwr
    Soulflwr Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    In the past I could retain up to 10 lbs of water weight that came off after my period stopped for the month, but I was also having two periods one month and none the next. Once my cycle got straightened out and I started to lose weight I've found that I don't really gain around that time unless I stop watching my sodium levels. I was shocked the first time I actually managed a loss during my period.

Oh and I also learned that giving into the salty cravings made the bloating much worse. If I pay attention and just eat mostly raw veggies before I'm due to blow up, I can skip that part completely. Eating light a few days before sometimes prevents me from getting cramps as well.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    The gain starts 2ish days before by period, and is completely gone by the second day. I know it is only bloating because the entire gain disappears as soon as the second day is over. I also am extra careful about my food choices during that time because I used to crave poor food choices (usually salty) during that part of my cycle.
  • CrazyC
    CrazyC Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    For me i carry it for a few days after my TOM

This. So far, I haven't gained much water weight from my TOM as usual since I started on here and exercise 2 hrs a day/6 days a week. However, during my TOM my weight tends to stay the same and I don't usually start to see a loss on the scale again until 2-4 days after my period is over and/or I might be lightly spotting still... For example, last week I was 186 during my TOM and my weigh in day was Monday and I was only down 1 lb, but today, a few days later I'm down 2 more pounds... So, during TOM, it might take me a few extra days to lose those 2 -3 Ibs vs. all at once if I didn't have TOM... Hopefully that makes sense... :smile:
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Uhhh... period weight? You mean bloating? If you're trying not to feel bloated during your period, lots of water really helps. I use birth control, so I guess that has a lot to do with reducing the bloated feeling. Exercise and drink water, even if it's light cardio. Usually helps with cramps (unless yours are particularly severe). But if you're gaining weight from PMS snacking... STOP THAT! :tongue:
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Pretty much right away. My appetite is crazy the week before and then I’m not hungry at all when its going on.
  • Keto_Kueen
    Keto_Kueen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Huh??
  • Keto_Kueen
    Keto_Kueen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Uuummmk sure dats how u got fat haha great logic there ;) I like da humour tho n I guess dats wat happened to me too lols
  • LaurenGetsFit2
    LaurenGetsFit2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Lbf321 wrote: »
    I am weird, all my pms and water weight comes when I ovulate. I started MFP right after I ovulated and imediately lost 6-7 lbs of water.

Firstly, I know this post is really old haha.
    Secondly, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I use an app to track the Shark Week patterns and I've noticed I happen to retain water TWICE during the cycle: once before/during ovulation and once before/the first few days of my actual period. -_- It makes trying to lose a few pounds incredibly frustrating and disheartening, but I'm trying to stay positive and keep to healthy habits despite what the scale says.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Any time from the start of my period to a couple of days after the end. It goes suddenly, though!
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Lbf321 wrote: »
    I am weird, all my pms and water weight comes when I ovulate. I started MFP right after I ovulated and imediately lost 6-7 lbs of water.

Yes, my weight peaks during ovulation also.
  • nicolepburgess91
    nicolepburgess91 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My weight rarely shows change for the majority of the month. But during PMS and the first few days of my cycle, I experience a whoosh. The scale can show a loss of 7 to 12 pounds lost. I know a lot of it is water weight. But it still feels good to see that loss. Realistically only 4-9 pounds are actually fat loss.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Gain it the day before flow starts and lose it either the day before or the day flow stops.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I gain 1-3 lbs about a week before ToM and then it hangs out and annoys me until mid-way through ToM. Then "whoosh", it's gone for another month.

At first, it annoyed me, now it mostly just amuses me. Bodies are weird.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    im weird i gain my period week 2 weeks before my period lol
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    im weird i gain my period week 2 weeks before my period lol

That could likely be when you ovulate, so that's not weird at all.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cwynj wrote: »
    Just wanted to take a quick poll....do you lose it within the first couple of days of your period? A few days later? Other? Hanging on to some lbs now and I want to know when I can expect to kids them good bye ;)

I am so erratic with my periods now and they are so far apart. The last one was 5 months after the previous. Right now it's been 3 months since then. From what I remember, I usually lose the water weight on about the 3rd day.

I think though that when on plan, I don't (didn't?) usually actually gain before my period, I just didn't lose at all for that week (by the scale, anyway) and then went down my pound or two on that third day or so. Hope that made sense the way I just explained it. IOW - I must have still been losing actual weight, but was gaining a couple of pounds of water weight which temporarily canceled out the scale showing the loss.
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    2 days after i started my period. I pretty much can spend one day on the toilet just going for a wee.i know its water rentention as i drink excatly the same the other days and dont go half as much.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I gain 2-4lbs the week before I'm due to flow. It drops off the day the flow starts.
  • ilovemyfreckles
    Options
    I gain before and during my TOM. I bloat pretty severely and get very constipated, so that doesn't help anything. Also, I've tried the whole "exercise when you are cramping to make them go away" and that DOES NOT WORK for some women. Exercise triggers severe cramping and makes them worse if I already am. So don't listen to others, listen to your body :wink: