New Guy (little help?)

Options
Hey there folks,

Trying to get some weight loss goin' on.

I have a question though... ... ... After putting in my fitness info, my recommended calories per day is 2200!!! Is that normal? What would happen if I just did 1300 or 1200? I'm 350lbs at 5' 10" in case that matters.

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• Steve3527
    Options
    I used to feel the same way. But then I read in a health journal somewhere in the library that big guys like us burn more calories then you would think. Think about how hard our bodies are working to pump blood through our body and how our muscles are being worked due to the extra weight we're carrying. There are some medical studies that can do a better job of explaining the science then I can
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's not high at all. If you look at the back of food labels, the percents of nutrients (like, xxx mg sodium ... yy% daily recommended sodium intake) are normally based on an 1800-2000 daily caloric intake, for a person of average weight and activity.
    Everybody's body needs a minimum amount of calories to function every day (to think, to stand, to filter blood, to pump urine out of your body). Not many folks (think the intersection of short, light, young and sedentary) can get by on 1200 calories a day. The taller you are, the heavier, or the more active, the more calories your body needs just to be able to do it's thing.
    As you lose weight, your caloric requirement will change. But 2200 is a perfectly reasonable number. Don't try eating 1200 calories a day! You'll be grumpy and low-energy and it's not sustainable.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Welcome! As said before, 2200 calories is a reasonable start for you. 1300 to 1200 calories would be far too low.

You might want to read go through the links mentioned in these 2 posts:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    2200 is a good start. To maintain the 350lbs you have to consume 3600cals a day. so you will actually be in a 1400 cal deficit. With no exercise thats about a 2.5-3lbs loss per week for awhile. If you start adding in cardio and/or weight lifting you would benefit greatly but work on getting your diet in order first. Good luck
  • Mlevimiller
    Options
    Cool, cool, cool.

I had been preparing for this whole thing prior to actually looking at my number... so my meal plans were aiming for 1300. Now I'll have to make up for the disparity.

Any suggestions on that subject? I need more calories but they obviously need to be healthy ones.
  • Mlevimiller
    Options
    Also... with all of these entries on granny smith apples, how should I know what to choose?
  • vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I dont know what kind of plan you were setting up for yourself but hitting protein and fat macro nutrient needs will be important especially if you add weight training and cardio.

Macros
    Protein=200g=800 calories
    Fat=80g=720 calories

I think if you atleast hit these macros then fill the other 700 calories with what ever you want carbs/protein/fat then you will be setting yourself up for success
  • Mlevimiller
    Options
    Right now I am working on adding exercise. I definitely need to do weight training because my muscle mass is pitiful. As for cardio... My neighborhood isn't the sort you walk around. But there is a YMCA in the area with a plan for poor people that I am hoping to pursue shortly.

In the meanwhile I'll have to watch my protein/fat intake until I'm actually exercising properly.

I'm also having problems with the groceries I already have. Most of it isn't healthy but I can't afford to toss any of it. I do plan on never adding the flavor packets to the remaining blocks of ramen I have. Yeesh. Sodium is hard to control at times. x_x